Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..41424344 | Showing page 44 of 44, messages 431 to 432 of 432
slinguser

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 4085
Re: Krista - Friday, October 21, 2016 2:48 PM
When I began radiation, my oncology nurse recommended that I purchase a single sling, new to the market, to protect the underside of my breast.  It was fantastic! I am still devoted to my sling, but I find that my friends who have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer do not have knowledge of this device.  It is worth sharing what I know.

The sling buffers the harmful effects of constriction on radiation damaged skin and allow sthe area in question to breathe.  With its unique structure, the sling allows the skin to breathe as it is lifted off of the ribcage while wicking away perspiration preventing sore skin-to-skin contact.  This deflects some of the tissue damage and, when the damage does occur, it allows it to heal more quickly. 

By the time my radiation was completed, my skin was a bit pinker than it had been previously, but it was neither sore nor broken.  I realize that skin types vary, but I know the sling made a huge difference in my comfort.  Now that my radiation is in the past, I still wear the sling to sleep every night to prevent perspiration from accumulating beneath my breast.  Now I no longer even have a mild rash to contend with!
Snowymom

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re: Krista - Monday, November 28, 2016 5:43 PM
Thank you for the information about the sling. I just joined and am about to undergo radiation; I will talk with the radiologist about getting one. Hope you continue to be well! Snowymom
Change Page: << < ..41424344 | Showing page 44 of 44, messages 431 to 432 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll