Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 126 of 135, messages 1251 to 1260 of 1341
trkrgrl01

• Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 5415
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:38 AM
My name is Julie. And today is another day :-)  In the last chemo I had the meds were gemcitibin and carboplatin. The carboplatin affected my blood counts so bad that I needed a transfusion. Before that was taxotere and cyclophosphamide cocktail. The one this coming Monday will be cisplatin and gemcitibin. If my tumor does not respond then trials are the option that is left. My tumor and affected lymph nodes are mets to the esophageal area. I am not sure that financially I can do trials since I would have to travel pretty far from home. This last year has wiped out my finances with all the copays. I cannot work and live on disability. I miss my job the most of everything I have lost. I have great friends but it's not something they have dealt with before thank God. My parents both died from cancer 8 yrs ago within months of each other. I only have a brother left who lives in a different state so we only talk on the phone.  My life these last 14 yrs has been wonderful and I have no regrets there. I should not complain now I guess. Thank you for the support. That's why I came here, I knew I would feel better
trkrgrl01

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:40 AM
Oh and I also recently had the cocktail Ixempra and Xeloda 2 moths before but my tumor stopped responding.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:17 AM
Hi Julie and thanks for the extra info, I assume the mets are triple negative too? in looking at the mix you've had it does appear to be resisting most of the aggressive drugs, maybe Navelbine may be an option to try perhaps. I'm sorry you've suffered so much with losing your parents to this disease as well and you're obviously very strong to have continued to fight this and I really hope your Onc can find something to give you a better response soon.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
trkrgrl01

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:59 AM
Thanks Tricia  Been a long road, but one with no regrets. The mets are also triple neg  I start cisplatin and gemcitabine Monday  So we will wait and see  I will let everyone know how the CT comes out. Fingers are crossed. In the end the result will be the same, but I am not ready just YET!!!  Loving life too much.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:13 PM
Good luck with the chemo and the CT Julie and keep that fighting spirit going, I just heard today that my friend with lung cancer who is six years out has just been declared cancer free by her Onc!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
trkrgrl01

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:52 PM
WOW  Congrats to her  Gives us all hope and keeps us all fighting  That is truly a gift
Kristal69

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:52 AM
Hi,

My name is Kristal and I am a 2 year survivor to triple negative cancer.  I am 43 years old now.  I only had a lumpectomy and chemo and radiation.  I am very large breasted and now am concerned about it coming back.  When I was first diagnosed I was told that if the cancer was in the center of my breast that I would never of found it.  I have an appointment today with my surgeon for my mammogram results and I am now thinking of having a double mastectomy and breast reconstructive surgery so I don't have to live in fear for the rest of my life.  Has anyone ever done this after all treatments have been completed.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:09 PM
Hi Krista,

I just wanted to tell you that having a mast won't give a guarantee of  no recurrance although the risk is lessoned a little, its a big step and perhaps read our recon/surgery forums to know exactly whats involved with this. It sounds like you're doing great so far and although we all worry about recurrance I do think the further out you are the less it consumes you.  Good luck with your appt today and Mammo results!
Carepage- survivortricia
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:35 PM
I am an 8 year survivor of "triple negative" breast cancer. My life is good but lately I have become concerned about potential heart problems due to recent articles on the subject. I always knew that certain chemicals used in treatment could damage the heart and the effects could show up many years down the road. Also, since my bc was in my left breast I received radiation on that side. Radiation to the left breast is known to contribute to heart damage. So, the bottom line is that I am going to see a cardiologist to have an evaluation - maybe a treadmill test or whatever is deemed necessary.********* Other than that - I'm good!!!!!
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, July 19, 2013 1:00 AM
Hi Kristal, Congratulations on reaching the two year milestone. It is a big one for TNs as our risk for recurrence goes down dramatically after that point. Like you I am very large breasted. My tumor was at 12:00 and in the middle. No, I did not detect my 3.5 cm tumor and neither did my doctor when she had done an exam a few months before. Mine was detected on a routine mammogram the end of 2007. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Though I had considered a mastectomy, I decided against it when I learned what Tricia had said. It was no guarantee against recurrence and I decided for my own peace of mind, I wanted to be able to have mammograms. Like NN, my bc was in the left breast as well but so far any tests in relation to my heart have shown that it is fine. It is true that triple negatives have a poorer prognosis within the first two years and after surgery, chemo and radiation, we are done. However, like my oncologist told me, the bad news is we are not on meds for five years. The good news is we are not on meds for five years. As triple negatives, we often tend to look at the high risk of recurrence. What we forget is that triple negatives can also respond extremely well to chemotherapy and radiation and this is why our risk of recurrence drops so dramatically after the first two years. Only you can make the decision of what is right for you but since you have passed that two years milestone, you might really want to look at your odds of recurrence as a TN before making that decision.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 126 of 135, messages 1251 to 1260 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll