Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 23 of 135, messages 221 to 230 of 1341
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:17 AM
Good Morning Penney, Rena, Gail, Karen. Jill and All,

I'm sitting in my favorite chair with the front door open and a cool breeze touching my arms.  I need to get ready for work, but I am still reading your posts.  My little dog knows my morning routine and she is wondering why I am not moving to the next task. Dogs are so smart.

Just wanted to take a moment to wish everyone a good day and to let you know you are in my thoughts.

Warmly,
Sadie
In The Pink

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:23 AM
Good Morning Sadie... and all!

Sadie, that sounds wonderful!  You are reminding us in such a simple delightful way to enjoy those peaceful moments!  No you have me curious, what kind of dog and what is his or her name?

I am checking in with my mail also...both front and back doors are open, husband on his own computer...very peaceful quiet this am and 68degrees.  We are going down to my sisters home to help rearrange furniture etc to make her guest room more Dad friendly...she has taken on her added task of taking care of dad for me while I go through this so I can get the proper rest.  The least we can do is make sure they are comfortable.  Dad is so good about making the change...he just wants me to get better. 

Doctor appt on Monday.. 1st chemo seems to have taken the edge, hardness off the tumor.  Good news.  2nd chemo yesterday but again not a restful sleep and all kinds of weeping this am...,although all my hormorne receptors are negative, I still have my period and those hormones are all over the place!  Very weepy, what if;s, why that, and yet I am a very motivated person but can't seem to please enough people.  Figure that out.  I will shake this off...hope to check in later this week.  Love to you all!

Penny - Orange,CA Age 48
Penny's Posies (Team Name) - Race For The Cure 9/28/08
DX=3/2008 - 6/2008
IDC, Stage III, Pos. Lymph Node Triple -,
Chemo - starting July 15, 2008
Mastectomy
Radiation
Participating in 3 clinical trials
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:53 PM
Hi Sadie and Penny and all. Penny, two down--that's great. I think the weepiness is really normal, and I believe that crying is really healthy--maybe inconvenient and uncomfortable (hate those swollen eyelids!), but really good for the soul. Your dad sounds like a real sweetheart, and I'm glad that you're arranging things so that you can get the rest you need. Both you and Sadie described such lovely mornings. I just got back from having lunch with Judy Baker up in Morgan Hill, about an hour northeast of here. It was wonderful to see Judy, as always. And I had a great surprise when I got home: sunshine! It's been foggy, gray and cold for the past week, so to see and feel the sunshine is just wonderful. I hope that the rest of your week goes well. Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
WendyG

• Total Posts : 2
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:13 PM
Hello ladies,

I was very glad to find a group with such kind ladies going through such an unkind experience. So far in all my treatments and meetings I have been the only triple negative. It's been a bit scary. You do feel at loose ends when treatments have finished.

My oncologist did say this type of cancer responds well to chemo and my tumor had disappeared before surgery. They did however find some DCIS which is why I had a longer stint of radiation. I'm finished with treatment, in fact saw my oncologist yesterday, tumor markers very low. He is very pleased with my results. I have a mammogram on 8/23 so am a bit anxious about that.

Other then that I think I am doing very well. My hair is back and very curly and my energy is coming back as well. I just  finished a  7 week class at the cancer center about life after breast cancer treatment. It was very helpful. It is mostly about diet, very low fat, exercise and several relaxation techniques. I am in a study linked to the class about low fat diet and reoccurance. It hasn't been too hard for a diet. I had gained weight during chemo and have now lost it all.

Sorry to write a book. It is just nice to talk to someone who will understand how you feel.

Hope you are all feeling well and having a good day!

Wendy
Dx 7/07 triple negative stage 2 IDC grade 3 2.5 cm
Chemo A/C 4 cycles Taxotere 4 cycles finished 11/07
Lumpectomy 12/07 lymph nodes negative margins not clear
Reexcision 1/08 clear margins
Radiation daily for 7 weeks finished 5/08
Rena

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:42 PM
Hi Wendy, and welcome. My cancer was almost 22 years ago, and knowing what I know now about triple negatives responding well to chemo, I am sure glad that my doctor treated me aggressively. Even though it was such a long time ago, one thing I remember very clearly was that feeling of being at loose ends when treatment ended. I had chemo once a week for a year, which stretched into 14 months due to low blood counts toward the end. So, more than a year of my life was devoted to an active fight--and then, nothing. I recall going to a dinner party the day after my treatments ended. I knew everyone, and they were all nice, but I felt so alone in that room that I couldn't stand it. I told my husband to stay and have a good time, but I just had to go home and "be with myself." I'm happy to say that those feelings passed pretty quickly, and I was happy to start getting on with my life again. It's hard in the beginning to not think about cancer all the time, but with time, that passes as well. I wish you all good things. I hope you'll stay in touch with us on this thread--it's such a nice group of women. Take care, Rena p.s. good luck with your mammogram!
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
WendyG

• Total Posts : 2
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:00 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome, Rena. All of the ladies here are very inspiring to me. I will definitely keep in touch with this thread. I'm sure I can learn a lot from everyone here. Before my DX I didn't know anyone who had any cancer experience so was a complete "newbie" in the whole process. My family and friends have been very helpful and supportive, but don't really understand some of my feelings and I don't want to burden them.

I didn't have any genetic testing done. There is no history of cancer in either side of my family. I wonder if I should have it? I just saw my oncologist yesterday so I think I will wait till my next appt. in October. If  I  remember. Ha ha. Anyone else experiencing a little chemo brain?
I write everything down then forget the lists! Oh well, could be worse.

Thanks again and take care!
Good night ladies.
Wendy
Dx 7/07 triple negative stage 2 IDC grade 3 2.5 cm
Chemo A/C 4 cycles Taxotere 4 cycles finished 11/07
Lumpectomy 12/07 lymph nodes negative margins not clear
Reexcision 1/08 clear margins
Radiation daily for 7 weeks finished 5/08
CedarBarb

• Total Posts : 36
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:37 PM
Hi Rena & all the other TN's,

I'm addressing this to you, Rena, since you were the first person to respond to my first post on the Sound Off forum back in January.  Now I have finished my chemo and radiation.  Hair is coming in grey when it was blonde before; fingernails are still falling off; toes are numb; but I'm still here. 

Last week I went to see my G.P. and he read me the latest letter he received from my med. onc.  It was so discouraging: extremely high chance of recurrence in the next 2 to 3 years; was part of it.  My med. onc. had told me this in the beginning but I guess at this point it just really hit home.  So now I'm in a dilemna.

I've been single again for the last 3 years after 27 years of marriage; my sister died of ovarian cancer the same year and then my mother of the same a year later.  So now I'm feeling really badly for my only daughter who is 27 and lives 3 hours away.  I feel like I want to do lots of things with her like travel and other experiences together. She is single but has a steady boyfriend.  As far as family goes now, there really isn't any one else around now but me. She was close with both my mother and my sister who lived nearby.

I own my own home and now I'm thinking I should just up and sell it so I can have some money to do the things I want to do with her and also my sister's daughter. I'm on a disability pension which doesn't leave much room for doing anything extra. right now.

But, then I think, what if everything turns out okay, and I've plunked myself into a condo which I probably wouldn't like in the long run?  I love the home I have now.

Of course I know no one can answer any of these questions for me, it just seems that now that my treatment is finished and the prognosis doesn't look too good, I'm feeling stuck.  Maybe I should have posted this on the Sound Off board, but I felt that the other TN's here might have a better feel for where I'm at now.

Anyhow, it feels good just to put this out to everyone.  I'm normally a pretty upbeat, positive person and I've had tons of support from my friends through all of this, but now I'm feeling discouraged.  Someone, please kick my ass!
Thanks for listening,
Barb
CedarBarb
Dx: 11.07 IDC, Grade 3, Stage 3c; Lump. R.br.
3.5cm; 10/13 + nodes; Triple Neg.
FEC x 3 Feb.27.08
Docetaxol x 3 May 1.08
Rads x 25 June 27.08
One high beam, one low, while NED visits forever!! 
Rena

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:59 PM
Wendy, the whole genetic testing thing is so personal. Has your doctor recommended it? I had it done for a few reasons--cancer at a young age and being Jewish--and I did test positive. The main reason I wanted to know was for my daughter, who now has to face being tested. There's not a lot to lose meeting with a genetic counselor (it cost me about $300) if you think it's worth it. As for chemo brain--I got over that, but now I'm just having a lot of so-called "senior moments." Oh well. Take good care. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Rena

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, July 25, 2008 12:05 AM
Barb, it's so good to hear from you. I'm sorry that your doctor is not being more positive with you. I understand that they base their views on the statistics, but you can't just assume the worst. No one can predict what your future will be. I was told that my prognosis was poor, and here I am. I know you're facing some tough decisions about your home and finances. I wish I had some words of wisdom. All I can say is that I'm behind you in anything you decide to do. I'm not going to kick your butt--I'm just going to send you a big hug. You're smart and you're wise--you'll figure out what's right for you. Take care, Barb. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, July 25, 2008 10:03 AM
Good Morning Penney, Rena, Gail, Karen. Jill CedarBarb, Wendy and All

It's Friday and I love this day.  I work long days on T/W/Ths and I most often get Friday off.  It feels like playing hooky from school.  I get an extra day to play or just relax. I still get little chores done, but there isn't any pressure.  An extra bonus, the house is quiet.  There is just me and my little dog.

Penney- My dog is a cairn terrier.  I got her just before I found out I had breast cancer.  She's been with me through all of the treatment and beyond.  She was this cute little fur ball when I got her.  The owner called her their golden girl because she was blond and the other puppies where the more traditional black color.  She had been entertainment every day.

CedarBarb-  I went through this urgent feeling that I needed to do everything I ever wanted to do right away.  I wanted to travel to Italy and other countries.  Everyday I felt this urgency that was over whelming at times.  I talked with a woman who specializes in stress management.  She told me I was looking at the situation as a window closing. She wondered if I could view it as a window opening.  So I started to look at this time in my life as an opportunity to connect more with others.  I decided I wanted to make more memories with my kids. I wanted more moments when I told them how great they are, when we could talk about their dreams. I vowed to spend time with people who are positive and loving.  I set a goal to reach out to people I don't know just to say helllo or share a moment with them.  This helped me calm things down.  I don't know if this makes sense?

Wendy-  It is exciting to hear you are healing and getting your energy back.  Isn't it great to have your own hair?

Rena-I love reading your posts.  Your gentle and kind spirit shines through you words. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend with those who love you.

Warmly,
Sadie
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 23 of 135, messages 221 to 230 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll