Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 24 of 135, messages 231 to 240 of 1341
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, July 25, 2008 11:58 PM
Wendy,

I am responding to your thoughts regarding genetic testing. No one in my family had either breast or ovarian cancer, although there were other types of cancers. Ethnicity as well as family history plays a role in whether or not you should be tested. Medicare paid for my test. Since I got my results my daughter and one of my brother's, who was tested, are both positive for BRCA2. In both instances the lab was able to use my results in isolating the chromosomes involved so the costs were low compared to the lab having to start from scratch.

Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
KarenD

• Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:26 PM
Hi all of you wonderful TN ladies,

Thanks for the warm welcome and support and I apologize for not posting sooner, our internet has been out since Wed (big summer storm).

Went to my first onc visit. Will be starting TC x 4 (maybe 6, she said she'll decide later) on Aug 5th with rads to follow. Will be getting a port too, although not required since I'm not getting AC, the port is still recommended and I figure I'll have enough going on without feeling like a pincushion. My onc also did not recommend genetic testing because there is no family history. However, she did say that the genetic counselor at the cancer center is very accommodating and will sit down with me and go over everything and I can get tested if I want to (I am still undecided at this point and will talk to the genetic counselor to get some more input on this).

But all in all, I feel wonderful right now. A visit to the onc and a plan and I'm feeling empowered (I have learned that I'm not really very good at waiting). I know that it won't last, and I'll have bouts of blue, but I figure I will enjoy it while I can.

I'm gonna catch up on the posts and maybe even eventually be able to remember who is who and keep all the names straight.

Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend,
Karen
Karen D
Wonderful Hubby and 4 terrific kids ages 17, 16, 14 and 12
Dx 6/23/08 Age 37
Lumpectomy 1.2 cm (Stage 1, Grade 3 IDC)& SNB on 6/24/08 (2 nodes, both neg)
Triple Negative
Taxotere/Cytoxan to start on 8/5/08 rads to follow
Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:51 PM
Hi Karen and all my wonderful Triple sisters! The issue of genetic testing is one I too am considering. My onc talked about it and gave me material to read over but that was before the CLL dx so it's on the back burner right now. I probably will do it as I am in one group that has a predisposition to being Braca positive. I don't dwell on this but I do want to do all I can to help others. I hope everyone is doing well. We are stronger together. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:14 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I have had such a nice weekend, just doing simple things.  Started the weekend off having lunch with Gail, Nuzzy's Nana and JoGrif.  It was wonderful to meet them in person.  I thankGail for getting us together.

Saturday, I went to my daughter's house and held babies.  They are just 10 weeks old, but were born a month early.  They are just starting to smile and can reach out to touch things.  I see them working hard on that skill and they actually hit the toy pretty often and get it about 1 out of ten times.  I love watching babies and children try and perfecting a skill by doing It over and over.  I watched my young son once attempting to master going up and down stairs without holding on.  He practiced the task over 100 times.  Determination and drive are wonderful things

I like to think that is how I would be remembered.  "She had determination and drive.  She was a fighter....."  I'm just starting to read the book. The Last Lecture.  I think it will give me things to think about.  I'll probably be philosphical for a while. 

<message edited by Sadie on Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:17 AM>
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:17 AM
Hi TN friends. Karen, I'm glad you have your treatment plan in place. It really does make a difference, doesn't it, to know that you have a plan for beating this. I wish you all the best. Gail, your trip sounds wonderful. I'm sure that being with Jesse and hearing him sing must be very renewing for you. So glad you changed your plans and don't feel stressed and stretched. And Sadie, what a joy it must be to hold the babies. Keep the philosophical thoughts coming. I love to know how others view life. It often gets me soul-searching, and for me, that's what life is about--trying to become a better person--and having fun, eating good food, swimming in the Caribbean, and . . . OK, so I'm shallow! I hope you're all having a great Sunday. Yesterday it was sunny and beautiful here all day. This morning, we're fogged in again. Time to go outside and do my "sun dance"! Love to you all, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
sunbearz

• Total Posts : 1164
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:26 PM
Sadie, How lucky you are.Rena, I played in the sun for you
   Jill
sig Jill
age 54
Dx98,Mast 12 pos nodes
Her- ER-pr-BRCA-
Stage iv bone mets 2003 rads to hip
chemo-A/C Xeloda,Zometa,Taxol. Taxotere
Gemsar,Doxil-Abraxine
Spot liver and lung-gone
2008 met to subclav nodes-Rads
5/08 Taxotere
Faslodex
Taxols again,scalp mets
Liver,lung, lymph mets 2009
Femara
Ixempra
Testosterone ,Zometa-stable
Rena

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:28 PM
Thanks, Jill!! My sun dance didn't work. Can you put some of that sun in a box and UPS it to me??
Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
KarenD

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, July 28, 2008 11:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sounds like there was lots of fun, sun, friends, babies and good times had this weekend. My weekend was relaxing and quiet and the highlight was going shopping with hubby (just us) and stopping at one of the peach farms for homemade icecream...YUM!! It's funny how the simple things are often the ones that make you feel good.

Had a doctor's appt today and I'll be getting my port put in tomorrow morning. Wednesday I'll be my hubby's designated driver since he's having a colonoscopy (I'm hoping they have comfy chairs in the waiting room to doze in). Thursday my son has a dentist appt and I'll be going to the acupuncturist for the first time. Friday I have chemo education and then open house for my kids. Saturday is another son's 16th b-day. Sunday we have to take the 2 kittens we adopted last month back to shelter for shots and somewhere in there I need to get all the school shopping done because my kids go back on the 4th of August. So it's a busy week for me, but I won't be bored .

Take care and Hugs to all,
Karen
Karen D
Wonderful Hubby and 4 terrific kids ages 17, 16, 14 and 12
Dx 6/23/08 Age 37
Lumpectomy 1.2 cm (Stage 1, Grade 3 IDC)& SNB on 6/24/08 (2 nodes, both neg)
Triple Negative
Taxotere/Cytoxan to start on 8/5/08 rads to follow
Rena

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, July 28, 2008 11:19 PM
Hi Karen. It sounds as though you have a wonderful life that's full of love and fun. Oh, how I love peach ice cream. When I was a kid, my parents had a store in our town, and next door to it was Nat's Luncheonette. I was a skinny kid (oh, what I wouldn't give to be skinny again!), so my mom would send me over to Nat's for ice cream to fatten me up. I always got the peach ice cream cone for a nickel! Those were the days! I hope the port insertion goes well. Good luck to your hubby, too. I'd SO much rather be the designated driver than the patient! What kind of kittens do you have? I'm a cat lover. I have three right now, a 10-year-old tabby and two younger flame point Siamese-tabby mixes. I get such joy and comfort from my little brood. My husband travels a fair amount, so I have my three "watch cats" to keep me company. I hope the rest of your week goes well, Karen. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
JoGrif316

• Total Posts : 2263
  • Reward points : 10615
RE: Interloping on your thread to say hi... - Monday, July 28, 2008 11:45 PM
I'm not triple negative, but just wanted to jump in to say how much  I really enjoyed having lunch with Gail, Sadie and Nuzzy the other day!  It was so great to meet people who I've only known in cyberspace before!

Gail, your husband is a dear to put up with all of us breast cancer ladies!

Ok, I'll go back to my sound-off now...

Joyce  
Portland, OR. DX: 6/09/05 IDC lb Age: 54 PR/HR+ Her- Lumpectomy/SNB 6/22/05 Nodes Neg! 33X Rads Comp 10/12/05 Tamoxifen: '05-'10 PT for lymphydema in breast '06 BRCA Neg 7/08! Tamoxifen induced uterine issues '07-'11 Total LA hysterectomy 12/11
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 24 of 135, messages 231 to 240 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll