Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 135, messages 291 to 300 of 1341
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 22, 2008 10:25 PM
Hi Kristin,
So glad you posted.  Even though this thread was started awhile back, we still keep it going so new people can come in.  I know this is such a hard time.  Sounds like you have your path set and that helps.  It is a frightening time with so many unknowns.  One thought I had is how much treatment has improved in the last twenty years.  Your journey is intensive, but with TNBC it is important to hit it hard the first time. 

I hope you keep coming back and keep us posted about how you are doing.  Please feel free to ask any question.

Warmly,
Sadie

Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:50 AM
Hi Kristin and all you wonderful triples! I am back n CT and slowly rising this Saturday morning to get going. I hope everyone is doing well. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Kristin570

• Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 12:58 PM
Thank you, Sadie.  I will definitely keep you updated.  I do have a question.  Is anyone else BRCA 1 positive?  If so, I'm looking for any feedback on having an oopherectomy vs. complete hysterectomy.  Pros, cons, that type of thing.  I've been told that with the TRAM flap reconstruction I won't be able to carry another baby so that won't weigh into my decision.  I'm more curious about any difference in side effects... menopause symptoms... etc.  I'm not even sure what to ask because I wasn't expecting to face these issues so soon.  I was really disappointed (maybe devastated is a better word) because I had just decided to try for another baby before I got the cancer news.  But I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that it isn't meant to be.  I am still looking into ovarian tissue cryopreservation but needing a surrogate on top of it is just becoming too complicated and right now I need everything else in my life to be simple, you know?  We may decide to adopt or we may not.  I have some time to decide oopherectomy vs. complete hysterectomy because I won't be doing reconstruction until after chemo, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any pros/cons.  Thanks!
Kristin 39 years old
12 yr old daughter  
Diagnosed 7/3/08
BRCA 1 positive
2 cm Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
Stage 1 and Grade 3
Triple Negative
14 nodes removed and all negative
Bilateral Mastectomy - DONE 9/19/08
4 rounds FAC - DONE 1/2/09
12 rounds Taxol - DONE 3/09
TRAM Reconstruction - DONE 10/7/09
Oopherectomy/Hysterectomy - Upcoming
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 4:07 PM
Hi everyone. Kristin, I'm BRCA2-positive, and I had a total hysterectomy, but my situation is very different from yours. I was diagnosed in 1986 and only had genetic testing about three years ago because I have a daughter and wanted to find out for her sake. The chemo I had after I was diagnosed put me into menopause (I was 37 at the time), so for me, having the total hysterectomy was an easy choice. The surgery itself--done with a laparascope--was the easiest I've ever had--and I've had a lot of surgeries. Good luck with your decision. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm still in NJ with my sister. Her surgery went very well. I took her to the doctor today, and her drains came out, so she feels like a million bucks! I'm flying back to California tomorrow.

I hope you are all well.

Love,
Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
KarenD

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 4:40 PM
Hi all of you wonderful TN ladies,

I don't post as often as I should[sm=wink.gif], gonna try to work on that. I'm going to a Look Good, Feel Better class tomorrow and hoping it will give me a little boost before round 2 of chemo on Wednesday.
Karey, congratulations on finishing rads yippee!!!! 
JED sending big HUGS [sm=pals.gif] your way! It gets better, after my first week, everyday seemed to get a little better than the last...so hang in there!
Kristen, I haven't been tested for BRCA and probably won't be (no family history and not sure if insurance will cover the test, will find out this week). But as for your questions about the pros and cons...post it on the Sound Off board..there is alot more traffic over there and you should get plenty of responses.

Take care and Hugs to all,
Karen

<message edited by KarenD on Monday, August 25, 2008 4:43 PM>
Karen D
Wonderful Hubby and 4 terrific kids ages 17, 16, 14 and 12
Dx 6/23/08 Age 37
Lumpectomy 1.2 cm (Stage 1, Grade 3 IDC)& SNB on 6/24/08 (2 nodes, both neg)
Triple Negative
Taxotere/Cytoxan to start on 8/5/08 rads to follow
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 10:58 PM
Hi Rena,

Hope you had a good flight home.  Is your sister on the road to recovery?  Take some time for yourself.

Warmly,
Sadie
Bou1

• Total Posts : 217
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:59 PM
Well everyone tomorrow is the big day for me as I will be starting my second series of chemo due to the fact that the first 6 treatments of TAC didn't work. Now I will be on carboplatin and Taxol for 4 treatments. Anyone experience this combo before? I ask that you keep me in your prayers that this time it will kill the beast for good.
Take care,
Cindy
Miami, FL 
IDC 12/20/07
Stage 2, Grade 3 strong fam. History
Triple -BRCA 1&2 - 
Chemo 6 rounds TAC, Carbo & Taxol 4 rounds
Bilateral mast. 7/29/08w/exp.
Exchange surgery 10/23/08
carepage Cindysjourney2008
Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
Hi Cindy, I have you in my prayers and believe this combo will do the trick for you. We can manifest our thoughts so keep the positive ones going. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 8:55 AM
Hi everyone. Cindy, you will be in my thoughts as you start on your new chemo regimen. I hope it goes smoothly and does what you need it to do. Sadie, I saw your post on "Sunbearz" about your blood sugar. I hope it won't be a problem for you. It seems that as we get older, all sorts of new and annoying things happen. My blood sugar was 150 in a routine screening in January. With diet changes, I brought it down to 99, but my doctor says that's still borderline high. Then there's the cholesterol. After two months on Pravachol, my cholesterol went from 275 . . . to 280!! Go figure. Gail, I hope school is going well and that you'll find time to relax and rest this year. How is everyone else? Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Barb 123

• Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points : 480
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:23 AM
Hi Karen and all the rest of you TN ladies,

I have never posted on this site. I guess I didn't know how to post on it until now. I am TN and finished chemo last month. Of course now I am worried because there is nothing for us TN people to take to prevent a recurrance. I have been having bad neck pain and  headaches and immediately started thinking that I must have cancer in my brain. I see the Doctor next Friday to get the ok to go back to work, so I will check with him about the neck pain. I have gone to the chiropractor a few times and it has helped some. I also am getting a massage at a cancer resource center next week. They offer a lot of free survices like massage and acupuncture for cancer patients. Karen, I also went to the Look Good Feel Better class and it was great. I got all kinds of wonderful makeup. I hope you enjoy the class.

Barb
dx1-3-08, age 61, Mother died 1-2-89 of bc
IDC 1.6cm tumor lft with 1 sen node pos out of 27, GR3, chose bilateral mass, done 1-21-08
Brac1 and Brac2 blood test negative! last chemo July 3rd 2008.Mpls, MN
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 135, messages 291 to 300 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll