Triple Negative-How are you doing?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 15 of 68, messages 281 to 300 of 1341
Sadie Rose
  • Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:55 PM

Hi All,

Rena- I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a great trip. I look forward to your posts when you get back.

Cyndi- How are you doing? Have you started your treatments? I hope things are moving along for you.

Texas Granny and Patti- How are you doing?

Just want to say hi to anyone I might have missed.

Warmly,
Sadie

Texas Granny
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 1565
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:51 PM
Hello Sadie

Thanks for asking about me - I am doing great - Had a 3 month appt with the onco the first of this month - everything looked good and the tumor markers went down - Yea.  I am still working, but this week giving much thought to retirement, but will probably change my mind next week.  It is so good to read what everyone is doing - Your trip to the coast sounded like a good change of pace.  I don't see how Gail did everything she did this summer - she was a busy lady.  My heart is heavy when the newbies join - especially the young ones with young children. 

Much good wishes, thoughts and prayers for everyone.

Texas Granny

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:57 PM
Hi all. Texas Granny, that's great news about your 3-month checkup. I just wanted to stop by and wish you all a good weekend! Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:53 PM
Texas Granny,

What good news you had.    Everything is moving in the right direction for you.  How are you doing during recovery?  Is your energy coming back?  It takes awhile.

Rena- I hope you had a wonderful day!

Thinking of you all.

Warmly,
Sadie

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:40 AM
I finished rads today! yippee! I have to go in and get my glucose tested again a week from tomorrow. My blood sugar has always been in the low normal range but recently it spiked. They told me steroids taken during chemo can sometimes trigger diabetes in people who have a family history and my mom got diabetes a few years ago. On a good note, sometimes it will go back down to normal the further you move away from chemo. Also it was caught in the beginning stages, probably within weeks of onset. I knew all of those countless blood tests would come in handy sometime. This is a huge plus in my favor.

Well, I already have my plan of action started. It's a good plan regardless of the outcome. Also, if I did develop diabetes, it sounds like at this point it will be pretty easy to manage and at least treatment does not involve being sliced, diced, pickled and fried!
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:53 AM

Hi Karey,
I was diagnosed with diabetes after chemotherapy.  I was able to control it at first by watching my diet and increasing exercise.  Just a couple of weeks ago I had another test that shows my sugar is rising.  I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with my physician to determine a new treatment plan.  It is frustrating to finish treatment for cancer and then have a new diagnosis.  One thing positive though, it helps me focus on what I eat more.

I hope your sugar level just settles for you over the next few weeks.

Warmly,
Sadie

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:09 AM
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for sharing about the diabetes. I asked about this on the sound-off board but it didn't seem to really be an issue anyone faced. At least this feels much more manageable than cancer. A healthy diet and exercise is beneficial for everyone and my first line of defense actually will make me look and feel better as well as make me stronger. I can't help but think how contrary that is to chemo! [sm=whacky.gif]

This is something I knew I would probably develop eventually, chemo probably just speeded up the the ETA. This is doable but you're right, it's just one more thing. Of course, right now I feel like I can conquer the world so I'm ready for a fight!
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

JED
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:21 PM

Hi everyone... Haven't written for awhile. I just started my chemo last Thursday and have not been doing so well. Very dragged out- Migraine h/a on friday- nausea - and VERy sensitive stomach the whole week. Lost 7 lbs- ( Not that i don't need to lose) Last night I broke my back molar and because my WBC are at 1.1 I cannot get fixed until next week when they hope the Neulasta will have kicked in.  I am just a bit anxious, because if my 1st week is going like this How will I make it through the next 4-5 mo.

My husband and I are fighting cancer at the same time - He has had a recent recurrence of bladder cancer and we are both wiped out. He is having surgery on 9/10 and my 3rd chemo will be on 9/11
Anyway- just whining a little- You ladies are a good source of " Keep your chin up!!

signature: Janet
56 yo, dx= 5/16/08
IDCz:Mulitfocal-1.8/1 cm- Stage 1 grade 3
Partial Mastectomy 5/30
Bilateral mastectomy- 7/8
Began A/C-8/14 w clinical trial/then taxol-12
Triple neg
Clean margins- 0 nodes

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 22, 2008 8:19 AM

Hi Jed,
I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you  I am so sorry your first treatment was so rough.  I wonder if you have talked to your doctor about it.  My doctor gave me three medications for nausea.  One for it was mild, one for if I was increasing in discomfort and a third one for severe nausea.  I never got to level three, but it helped me to know I had that available.

Everyone has different foods they liked during treatment.  I ate a lot of chicken soup,but the most soothing food for me was a tapioca I got from a health food store-Wild Oats.

My treatments were  every three weeks.  By the second week I was feeling better and during the third week I felt pretty normal.  Then it was time for the next treatment.  I would have my treatment on Thursday and return to work on Tuesday.  I hope things improve for you and I hope you are feeling better today.

Warmly,
Sadie

Kristin570
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 22, 2008 9:57 PM
Hi Sadie,
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I'm new here and just reading it.  I am 38, triple negative, grade 3, and BRCA 1 positive.  I am scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy on 9/19/08.  During the surgery, they will insert tissue expanders and a port.  After I heal, my treatment will be FAC every 3 weeks for 12 weeks and then Taxol weekly for 12 weeks.  After all of that, I will have my reconstruction with the TRAM flap and have my oopherectomy (maybe hysterectomy?) at that time.  My grandma and two aunts died in their 30's and 40's of metastasized breast cancer so I'm scared.  Good to see so many positive stories on this thread  :)
Kristin 39 years old
12 yr old daughter  
Diagnosed 7/3/08
BRCA 1 positive
2 cm Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
Stage 1 and Grade 3
Triple Negative
14 nodes removed and all negative
Bilateral Mastectomy - DONE 9/19/08
4 rounds FAC - DONE 1/2/09
12 rounds Taxol - DONE 3/09
TRAM Reconstruction - DONE 10/7/09
Oopherectomy/Hysterectomy - Upcoming

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 22, 2008 10:25 PM
Hi Kristin,
So glad you posted.  Even though this thread was started awhile back, we still keep it going so new people can come in.  I know this is such a hard time.  Sounds like you have your path set and that helps.  It is a frightening time with so many unknowns.  One thought I had is how much treatment has improved in the last twenty years.  Your journey is intensive, but with TNBC it is important to hit it hard the first time. 

I hope you keep coming back and keep us posted about how you are doing.  Please feel free to ask any question.

Warmly,
Sadie

Gail Srebnik
  • Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:50 AM
Hi Kristin and all you wonderful triples! I am back n CT and slowly rising this Saturday morning to get going. I hope everyone is doing well. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade

Kristin570
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 12:58 PM
Thank you, Sadie.  I will definitely keep you updated.  I do have a question.  Is anyone else BRCA 1 positive?  If so, I'm looking for any feedback on having an oopherectomy vs. complete hysterectomy.  Pros, cons, that type of thing.  I've been told that with the TRAM flap reconstruction I won't be able to carry another baby so that won't weigh into my decision.  I'm more curious about any difference in side effects... menopause symptoms... etc.  I'm not even sure what to ask because I wasn't expecting to face these issues so soon.  I was really disappointed (maybe devastated is a better word) because I had just decided to try for another baby before I got the cancer news.  But I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that it isn't meant to be.  I am still looking into ovarian tissue cryopreservation but needing a surrogate on top of it is just becoming too complicated and right now I need everything else in my life to be simple, you know?  We may decide to adopt or we may not.  I have some time to decide oopherectomy vs. complete hysterectomy because I won't be doing reconstruction until after chemo, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any pros/cons.  Thanks!
Kristin 39 years old
12 yr old daughter  
Diagnosed 7/3/08
BRCA 1 positive
2 cm Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
Stage 1 and Grade 3
Triple Negative
14 nodes removed and all negative
Bilateral Mastectomy - DONE 9/19/08
4 rounds FAC - DONE 1/2/09
12 rounds Taxol - DONE 3/09
TRAM Reconstruction - DONE 10/7/09
Oopherectomy/Hysterectomy - Upcoming

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 4:07 PM
Hi everyone. Kristin, I'm BRCA2-positive, and I had a total hysterectomy, but my situation is very different from yours. I was diagnosed in 1986 and only had genetic testing about three years ago because I have a daughter and wanted to find out for her sake. The chemo I had after I was diagnosed put me into menopause (I was 37 at the time), so for me, having the total hysterectomy was an easy choice. The surgery itself--done with a laparascope--was the easiest I've ever had--and I've had a lot of surgeries. Good luck with your decision. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm still in NJ with my sister. Her surgery went very well. I took her to the doctor today, and her drains came out, so she feels like a million bucks! I'm flying back to California tomorrow.

I hope you are all well.

Love,
Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

KarenD
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 4:40 PM
Hi all of you wonderful TN ladies,

I don't post as often as I should[sm=wink.gif], gonna try to work on that. I'm going to a Look Good, Feel Better class tomorrow and hoping it will give me a little boost before round 2 of chemo on Wednesday.
Karey, congratulations on finishing rads yippee!!!! 
JED sending big HUGS [sm=pals.gif] your way! It gets better, after my first week, everyday seemed to get a little better than the last...so hang in there!
Kristen, I haven't been tested for BRCA and probably won't be (no family history and not sure if insurance will cover the test, will find out this week). But as for your questions about the pros and cons...post it on the Sound Off board..there is alot more traffic over there and you should get plenty of responses.

Take care and Hugs to all,
Karen

<message edited by KarenD on Monday, August 25, 2008 4:43 PM>
Karen D
Wonderful Hubby and 4 terrific kids ages 17, 16, 14 and 12
Dx 6/23/08 Age 37
Lumpectomy 1.2 cm (Stage 1, Grade 3 IDC)& SNB on 6/24/08 (2 nodes, both neg)
Triple Negative
Taxotere/Cytoxan to start on 8/5/08 rads to follow

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, August 25, 2008 10:58 PM
Hi Rena,

Hope you had a good flight home.  Is your sister on the road to recovery?  Take some time for yourself.

Warmly,
Sadie

Bou1
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:59 PM
Well everyone tomorrow is the big day for me as I will be starting my second series of chemo due to the fact that the first 6 treatments of TAC didn't work. Now I will be on carboplatin and Taxol for 4 treatments. Anyone experience this combo before? I ask that you keep me in your prayers that this time it will kill the beast for good.
Take care,
Cindy
Miami, FL 
IDC 12/20/07
Stage 2, Grade 3 strong fam. History
Triple -BRCA 1&2 - 
Chemo 6 rounds TAC, Carbo & Taxol 4 rounds
Bilateral mast. 7/29/08w/exp.
Exchange surgery 10/23/08
carepage Cindysjourney2008

Gail Srebnik
  • Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
Hi Cindy, I have you in my prayers and believe this combo will do the trick for you. We can manifest our thoughts so keep the positive ones going. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 8:55 AM
Hi everyone. Cindy, you will be in my thoughts as you start on your new chemo regimen. I hope it goes smoothly and does what you need it to do. Sadie, I saw your post on "Sunbearz" about your blood sugar. I hope it won't be a problem for you. It seems that as we get older, all sorts of new and annoying things happen. My blood sugar was 150 in a routine screening in January. With diet changes, I brought it down to 99, but my doctor says that's still borderline high. Then there's the cholesterol. After two months on Pravachol, my cholesterol went from 275 . . . to 280!! Go figure. Gail, I hope school is going well and that you'll find time to relax and rest this year. How is everyone else? Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Barb 123
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points : 480
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:23 AM
Hi Karen and all the rest of you TN ladies,

I have never posted on this site. I guess I didn't know how to post on it until now. I am TN and finished chemo last month. Of course now I am worried because there is nothing for us TN people to take to prevent a recurrance. I have been having bad neck pain and  headaches and immediately started thinking that I must have cancer in my brain. I see the Doctor next Friday to get the ok to go back to work, so I will check with him about the neck pain. I have gone to the chiropractor a few times and it has helped some. I also am getting a massage at a cancer resource center next week. They offer a lot of free survices like massage and acupuncture for cancer patients. Karen, I also went to the Look Good Feel Better class and it was great. I got all kinds of wonderful makeup. I hope you enjoy the class.

Barb
dx1-3-08, age 61, Mother died 1-2-89 of bc
IDC 1.6cm tumor lft with 1 sen node pos out of 27, GR3, chose bilateral mass, done 1-21-08
Brac1 and Brac2 blood test negative! last chemo July 3rd 2008.Mpls, MN

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 15 of 68, messages 281 to 300 of 1341