Triple Negative-How are you doing?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 68, messages 301 to 320 of 1341
Sadie Rose
  • Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:40 PM
Hi Barb,

So glad you joined us.  You finished chemo and that is great.  Feeling really nervous after you finish treatment is really pretty typical for TNs.

Suddenly you are without the constant reassurance and check ups are spread out.  What you have to hang on to is that you have done everything you can to fight cancer.  Now you can focus on getting back to your life.  It helped me to try to focus on getting healthy and strong again.  Things like acupuncture, massage, exercise, and even physical therapy can be useful.  It gets easier as time goes on.  Your confidence will build with each NED scan.

Take care and keep posting.

Warmly,
Sadie

Barb 123
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points : 480
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:04 PM
Thanks Sadie for your support. I was also stage 2, grade 3 with one
positive node. I had 4AC and 4taxotere. No radiation because I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy. I am glad to hear that it is normal to feel scared after treatment . Thanks again for your reply. It helps to hear from other TN people like you.

Barb
dx1-3-08, age 61, Mother died 1-2-89 of bc
IDC 1.6cm tumor lft with 1 sen node pos out of 27, GR3, chose bilateral mass, done 1-21-08
Brac1 and Brac2 blood test negative! last chemo July 3rd 2008.Mpls, MN

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 01, 2008 9:13 PM
Hi Barb,

Just thinking about you tonight and wondering how you are doing. 

Sending you positive thoughts~~~~~~~~~~~.

Warmly,
Sadie

Barb 123
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 01, 2008 10:18 PM
Hi Sadie,

I was just going to bed and I decided to check my email. I am so glad that I did because I really needed some positive thoughts. For some reason I started thinking about my Doctor telling me that I have a 43% chance of a recurrance . I haven't let myself think about statistics for a long time because it just gets me depressed and I know that it is just a number. I am usually pretty positive so I don't know what got into me tonight, but when I read your email it really helped to know that someone was thinking of me. Thankyou so much. Take care.

Barb
IDC 1.6cm tumor lft with 1 sen node pos out of 27, GR3, chose bilateral mass, done 1-21-08

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:19 AM
Hi everyone. Barb, congratulations on finishing! As Sadie said, your feelings are completely normal. I think the first three years were the hardest for me, but with each passing month, I felt more and more secure. You're right to try not to focus on the statistics. I was told I had a poor prognosis, and here I am, alive and well, 22 years later.

Sadie, how are you doing? I hope you're doing well and enjoying that early fall weather in Seattle.

Gail, Karen, and everyone else (forgive me--I'm so bad with names)--I hope you're all doing well, too.

I'm enjoying some down time after an onslaught of work. Now I just have to wait to get paid, and that sometimes takes a while. My next projects include: 1) stripping the kitchen wallpaper, which Joey and Phoebe have destroyed with their little cat claws, and painting the kitchen; and 2) getting my cholesterol under control. I'm sure I'll enjoy project #1 lot more! I took Pravachol for two months, and my cholesterol went UP!! Go figure.

Take care, everyone.

Love,
Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

free2bme
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:11 AM
Hi Rena,

Just thought I'd bring you up to date on my DIL's progress with chemo. Yesterday she went for her 3rd session, and before the session her oncologist told her that the tumor in her lymph node has reduced from 4cm to 1cm and that the 3cm tumor in her breast is now 1 cm. We are all amazed that she's reacting so well to chemo, and of course we're extremely grateful. 5 more chemo sessions to go!

Hope all is good with you.....

Elliot

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:14 AM
Elliot, thanks for the update. That's fantastic news! They say that triple negatives respond well to chemo, and I'm so glad it's proving true for your DIL. I hope that the treatments have not been too hard for her. She certainly has a lot of great support. I'm doing well, thanks. In three days, I'll celebrate 22 years since my diagnosis. Keep us posted, OK? Take care, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:54 PM

Hi Rena,

I'm doing great.  We had a beautiful day today in the NW.  I'm a little closer to Portland than Seattle. We're just getting a touch of color in the leaves. October will bring even more color.  It is my favorite month.  I love sweater weather!

I've had a little stress today because the Department of Environmental Services met with the people in my office building to tell us they will be doing some ground work and road work for the next 6 months in our parking lot and the road that goes around our building.  I've been looking at new spaces, but the thought of moving is too challenging to think about so I'm writing to you.  LOL

In just two more days you will hit 22 years!!  Your story sure touches all of us who look ahead toward the future.  How are you going to celebrate?

Hope you have a restful evening.

Warmly,
Sadie

Gail Srebnik
  • Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:05 PM
I am working very late and only have a few minutes here or I'll be sleeping at school but I wanted you all to know I created a star on the SU2C page for us all..it's called Komen Triple Negative Sisters! Be well, Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade

Bou1
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:57 PM
Hi all you wonderful TN ladies,

Well I had my first treatment of taxol and carboplatin and also the neulasta shot after. I did ok except for the bone pain 2 days later. That is the worst but I finally got over it. I have slight numbing in my feet don't know if that is suppose to happen but its ok.  So I have one down 3 to go. Does anyone know if you are suppose to loose your hair with taxol or some have said it grows back? I have about a half an inch of new hair growth so Im wondering if I will loose that.
Well I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cindy
Miami, FL 
IDC 12/20/07
Stage 2, Grade 3 strong fam. History
Triple -BRCA 1&2 - 
Chemo 6 rounds TAC, Carbo & Taxol 4 rounds
Bilateral mast. 7/29/08w/exp.
Exchange surgery 10/23/08
carepage Cindysjourney2008

Coco
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02 PM
Cindy,  I found that if you take aleve or motrin or something similar the day after you get the neulasta shot it helps with the bone pain. 
Claudette
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa

Bou1
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, September 06, 2008 8:49 PM
Claudette,

Thanks I have tried Ibuprofen and it seems to help a little. Hopefully my bone pain won't be bad the next time around

Cindy

Miami, FL 
IDC 12/20/07
Stage 2, Grade 3 strong fam. History
Triple -BRCA 1&2 - 
Chemo 6 rounds TAC, Carbo & Taxol 4 rounds
Bilateral mast. 7/29/08w/exp.
Exchange surgery 10/23/08
carepage Cindysjourney2008

Barb 123
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, September 06, 2008 10:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been having a hard few weeks. I have been having bad neck pain and  headaches. I went to the Doctor Friday to get a return to work note and a checkup. He had me get an x-ray because of my neck pain and now the radiologist has suggested an MRI to make sure its not bone mets. I know that they are just being cautious but it still worrys me. My MRI is Tuesday and I will probably find out the results by Thursday. So I will not be returning to work yet and have to wait another week. Waiting is always the worst part but hopefully everything will turn out good.

Barb

Gail Srebnik
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:19 PM
Barb, My thoughts go out to you for an uneventful MRI. Every ache or pain has me thinking of bc and you are so right about the waiting. Take care. Blessings, Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07

Barb 123
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:02 PM
Thankyou Gail.

Barb

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 08, 2008 12:46 PM
Hi all. Barb, my thoughts are with you, too. I know the waiting is so hard. I know that I had so many scans/x-rays in the first three or so years after diagnosis because of unexplained pains. Most of the time, as soon as I had the test, the pain would ease. I think I became so stressed and scared that I sort of "clenched" my whole body and held onto the pain. I hope that's all it is for you. Cindy, I hope your next treatment is easier on you and you have little or no bone pain. Gail, it must be nice to have Dave home and be back to "normal" for a while. How is school going? Sadie, how are you? I hope the blood sugar comes under control. This is something I have to watch also, and I understand what you mean about being in denial! Right now, cholesterol is first and blood sugar is second. These darn bodies--can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em! In fact, I've been editing a book in which the author writes about the human body as a complex system--in the same way you might consider a complicated piece of technology a system--with so many interacting subsystems. Reading about it, I have to wonder how we manage to get up in the morning! One function depends on other functions which, in turn, are responsible for other functions. We are amazing creatures! Love to you all, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Gail Srebnik
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 08, 2008 2:55 PM
Hi there you wonderful triples! Rena, Dave isn't here yet but will be by next week. I want to share something but hesitate a little as it is not in the mainstream. It was suggested to me that I do some reading about low dose Naltrexone (LDN). I did and joined a yahoo health group on the subject. I posted asking if anyone was using it for cancer and was directed to a site of cancer users (stage 4B , etc) all using LDN. I am just at the reading stage now but thought I'd share this here and on Sunbearz thread. If you are interested I can direct you to the yahoo group or you can probably find it yourself. Blessings to you all, Gail
P.S. I called the oncology center today asking about a mammo or a follow-up visit. I wasn't listed for anything so i told the receptionist that must mean I'm cured and done with all of them! Of course we laughed and she said she'd check with my doc.

dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07

Barb 123
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well. My Doctor called me about my MRI and it showed no cancer! What a relief. It shows degenerative disc decease and a narrowing of the canal. He said it is just being 61 so he ordered
physical therapy and I will continue seeing my chiropractor. Hopefully it will improve soon.

Barb

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 15, 2008 9:24 AM
Barb, that's great news. I hope the PT helps. I'm 59, and if I didn't see my chiropractor every other week, I'd probably be crawling! We're too young for this!! Take care. Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:43 PM
Hi TN friends! This thread has been kind of quiet lately. I hope everyone is doing all right. Cindy, I hope the chemo is going all right. The sun is shining here for the first time in days. Actually, I should say that it's straining to shine, and I can see the fog to the west just waiting to roll in and consume the little sunshine we have.

I had my appt. at the lipid clinic yesterday to discuss my errant, and difficult to treat, cholesterol. All my numbers are bad, at least according to what most cardiologists believe. I've tried three different drugs so far: two had unbearable side effects, and the third sent my liver enzymes to dangerous levels and didn't bring my cholesterol down anyway. The doctor wants me to have a coronary calcium scan that examines the arteries and looks for calcium deposits. It's non-invasive, but it's another scan that I'd rather not have. The purpose, he said, is to see how much build-up I have in my arteries in order to decide how aggressively to treat me to bring down my numbers. My head is spinning at the moment. I left a message for his nurse this morning to pose a few questions: what is the incidence of false positive readings with the scan? (We all know how scary those false positives can be!) And, knowing that a scan is only as good as the person who reads it, do they have a radiologist there who is an expert at reading these? I'll see what she says and then make a decision. Anyway, I know this is minor compared to dealing with cancer. I think I'm just reacting to my fears of them finding something serious and also to the changes I'm experiencing as I get older. There seems to have been a turning point for me where things that I used to take for granted are starting to malfunction or break down, and I'm not dealing with these changes very well. It's all about perspective, I guess. I am happy to be alive. And I'm sorry for whining. Oh, just one more comment: the doctor had the nerve to complain to me, knowing that I'm a bc survivor, that heart disease kills more women than cancer does, but cancer gets all the attention. His facts are correct, but only someone who has never had cancer could make such a cavalier remark.

OK, NOW I'm done whining!

On the bright side, I'm driving to San Jose tomorrow to have lunch with my daughter. I've been missing her. And on Saturday, Judy Baker and I are driving up to Berkeley to meet Patti Hadrava for lunch. Can't wait!

I hope you're all having a good day. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 68, messages 301 to 320 of 1341