Triple Negative-How are you doing?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 18 of 68, messages 341 to 360 of 1341
Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 22, 2008 11:23 PM
Good evening my TN friends. Gail and Lisa, I'm looking forward to seeing you both in Indiana. Lisa, I won't have time for a side trip to see my sister. I was there last December for my brother-in-law's 70th birthday, though. I got to see them and their two daughters (yikes! my niece Amy is turning 47 in October--how scary is that?) David and I just got back from San Jose (a place that I actually DO know the way to). We had dinner at the restaurant where Karen (my 23-year-old daughter) is working. It was so much fun being waited on by her and watching her interact with her other customers. Now we're home, and Joey and Phoebe are running around like a herd of wild horses, the little nuts. It's so good to be surrounded by good people and cats! I count all of you among the good people in my life. Take care, everyone. Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Lisa11388
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 5135
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:33 PM
Rena - I hear a song in your last post!  Do you know the way to San Jose?

Isnt it funny to see your children acting like adults. Both of my sons work at a take and bake pizza place and i've seen them at work.  Like real human beings - amazing.  And even better to have them wait on you for a change!

[link=http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZSYYYYYYYYUS&utm_id=7926][/link]
Lisa Long
Central Illinois
dx 8-29-05 age 43
mast & lat flap 9-30-05
triple neg brca neg
4.5 cm node neg
6 a/c followed by 5 taxol 10/05-3/06
28 rads 5/06-6/06
Currently NED

Coco
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:18 PM
Dear All,  If you think this is great wait until you have grandchildren.
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:51 PM
Coco, "wait" is the operative word! I didn't have Karen until I was 35, and she's not in a rush to get married, so it's going to be a while before I have any grandbabies. Lucky YOU!!! Lisa, just be glad I didn't SING it!! Hope you're all having a wonderful day. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, September 26, 2008 7:35 AM
Hi Triple Negs!

I'm just checking in. I've been really busy now that school has started up again. My 28 second graders keep me moving. Surprisingly it has not worn me down like I thought it would. I hadn't worked (except for a two week summer stint) since February 29. I finished radiation on August 20 and was back at work five days later. The kids were back the following week and I think I've done amazingly well.

I returned to my weight-loss program the day I finished radiation. I was off of it during treatment and was told to stay off until after treatment was completed. I had lost 31 pounds prior to diagnosis but had a long way to go as I needed to lose over 100 pounds. I gained 28 pounds from my diagnosis until the end of my treatment. As of this week, I've lost 20 pounds so I'm on the right track! I have no choice but to make this happen. Especially since I developed diabetes after chemo! I keep telling myself I've gone through chemo so I can do anything.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Coco
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, September 26, 2008 9:10 AM
Kathy,  Hang in there.  After all you have been through this weight issue should be a piece of cake.  Have you tried weight watchers?  The program is very successful and you can eat everything you like.  The only catch is you can't eat as much.  The whole secret is portion control.  Good Luck
Claudette 
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
Triple negative
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, September 26, 2008 10:44 AM
Hi Kathy and Claudette. Boy, Kathy, I admire anyone who can teach a class full of second-graders--with or without chemo. They're adorable, but I bet they keep you on your toes! I hope you have a great school year. It sounds like you've done a great job with your weight. I hope it continues to go well for you. Claudette, how have you been? Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Coco
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, September 26, 2008 10:56 AM
Hi Rena,  I've been fine.  I had an MRI in August and everything was clear.  I see my oncologist again in December and he wants me to get a lung x-ray and a mammogram.  We are headed to Ireland tonight for 10 days so I guess you can say I'm back in the swing of things.
I go to the gym everyday and go to work occasionally.
My only complaint is achy joint pain expecially in my shoulders and elbows.  I of course blame everything on the chemo.  Other than that I'm fine.
I don't write often but I check in on this site most days.
Take care
Claudette
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
Triple negative
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, September 26, 2008 12:26 PM
Claudette, have a wonderful trip! How exciting! I'm glad you're doing well.
Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Patti Schimpf
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points : 2505
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:04 PM
Hello TN Sisters,

I know it's been a while since I've been here, just spent the last 2 hours checking up on how yall are doing. I'm so jealous of yall getting to go to Breast Fest! Are there plans to make this an annual event? I'd love to meet yall!

After my last blood test, I realized that my Hashimoto's was real...so I've been taking Levothyroxin for the past 2 months...I'm not sure I can tell any difference, but I do seem to have a little more energy. I'll keep repeating the blood test (if they can find any blood - last time they stopped after getting 3 drops, they figured that'd work!) every 3 months for the next year.

Getting ready to walk in the annual Dallas Race for the Cure in a couple of weeks then it'll be going back to my oncologist for my 6-month check up, followed by the annual gynocologist trip and yearly mammogram. No new pains must mean good news, right?

Hope yall are having a great weekend! My thoughts and prayers are with yall every day.

Patti
Diagnosed Oct. 2006
Lumpectomy Nov. 20, 2006
Triple Negative
Chemo Started Dec. 2006 - Finished March 2007
Radiation Started April 2007
Got early Radiation release May 29, 2007 - DONE!!!!!

carepage: PrayersforPatti
Big D, Texas

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:44 PM
Hi Patti. It's good to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that your energy is up a bit. Good for you for walking in the Race. I keep saying I'll do the one in San Francisco, but I still haven't. Good luck with all your upcoming appts. and tests.

We're having a quiet weekend. Yesterday, we walked on the beach. We left home in the sunshine, drove a mile to the beach and walked in the fog and cold, and then came back home to the sun. After which, of course, the fog rolled in as far as our house. Sometimes it's foggy in the back yard and sunny in the front yard--I kid you not! No wonder I don't know if I'm coming or going!

I'm waiting to have some tests done. Nothing cancer-related, thank goodness. I have to have a CT of my liver to follow up on a benign condition and a coronary calcium scan that looks at my arteries for calcium buildup. My doctor has had trouble finding anything to bring my cholesterol under control, so they want to look at my arteries to see how they look and decide how aggressively (or non-aggressively) they want to treat the cholesterol. The test itself is nothing-it's completely non-invasive--but I'm scared to find out the results. I have this image of them rushing me into bypass surgery. I know it's the same old bottom line: it's better to know than not know.

I'm looking forward to Breast Fest. I'm sure it will happen again next year. Last year they had seven women; this year they have 17! So it's growing. I wish you could be there.

Take care, Patti.

Love,
Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Lisa11388
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, September 29, 2008 6:17 PM
Triples - Can we talk ovaries here?!  Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if so, what was done about it.

So long story short...
After chemo no period for 15 months.  Then I started having them again every 3 months or so.  My gyn said this was not normal, so did a D&C in February. He says I am in menopause, my ovaries are cooked, not enough to stop working all together, but enough to not get pregnant. (Fine with me, i'm 46 with a 19 and 21 year old) Still a period about every 3 months.  This last one was really heavy, so went to see gyn again, now he wants to do a hydrotherm ablation.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
Thanks[sm=thinking.gif]
Lisa Long
Central Illinois
dx 8-29-05 age 43
mast & lat flap 9-30-05
triple neg brca neg
4.5 cm node neg
28 rads 5/06-6/06
Currently NED

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:56 PM
Hi Lisa. I can't really answer your questions. My chemo put me into menopause and I never had another period. When I was 50, though, (about 13 years out from diagnosis), I had some spotting all of a sudden. I had an endometrial biopsy and it was normal. After that I never had another problem. I did end up having a total hysterectomy about four years ago because I found out that I'm BRCA2-positive and wanted to get rid of my ovaries. I opted for the total mainly because I wanted to be done with surgeries as much as possible. What's a hydrotherm ablation, and why does he want to do it? Good luck with everything. Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Sadie Rose
  • Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:23 PM
Hi Lisa,

I thought I would just pop in here.  I read your post and I wonder if your doctor thinks the bleeding could be caused by fibroids.  If so removing the lining of the uterus might be helpful.  I believe it is a step to try to avoid a larger surgery. 

Warmly,
Sadie

Lisa11388
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:21 PM
Rena,
Hydrotherm ablation is when they use heated saline to destroy the lining of the uterus to help stop heavy bleeding.  Its sort of an inbetween before going to a hysterectomy.  Its not much different than a D&C as far as the severity of the procedure.  I'm thinking i'll go ahead and have it done.  Its out patient, and not too invasive.  It is supposed to help about 90% of the women who have it done.  Whats one more thing!
Lisa Long
Central Illinois
dx 8-29-05 age 43
mast & lat flap 9-30-05
triple neg brca neg
4.5 cm node neg
28 rads 5/06-6/06
Currently NED

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:01 PM
Lisa, I know what you mean. If you can have a less invasive procedure and solve the problem, that makes a lot of sense. I wish you well with that. Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Patti Schimpf
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points : 2505
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:57 AM
Thanks Rena,

Don't you just love that California weather? And I thought it was Texas where you waited 10 minutes and the weather would change! I always appreciate all your good thoughts and hope your upcoming tests go well too.

I went to a Komen breast cancer survivor's luncheon in Fort Worth on Friday and took my parents. There was a doctor who was talking about how far research was coming and said they were working on a test that in the future it may be possible to spit in a cup to detect breast cancer. Can you imagine? No more mammograms, needle biopsy's? And then there'll be a cure! It WILL happen in our lifetimes!

Thank you for always being there - you'll never know the inspiration you bring to me and others! Hope you have a great week.

Patti
Diagnosed Oct. 2006
Lumpectomy Nov. 20, 2006
Triple Negative
Chemo Started Dec. 2006 - Finished March 2007
Radiation Started April 2007
Got early Radiation release May 29, 2007 - DONE!!!!!

carepage: PrayersforPatti
Big D, Texas

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:38 PM
Hi Patti and everyone. This thread has been quiet lately. I hope you're all doing well. We're in the midst of a sunny streak here on the Monterey Peninsula, and it's wonderful. Warm enough to wear sandals but cool enough that you don't wilt. This is our very brief equivalent of a summer. I feel silly talking about the weather, but it's really about more than that. Living in an area like this, that is beleaguered by fog so much of the year, I've learned just how much my mood and possibly even my health can be affected by the climate. I guess every area of the country has its mood-altering weather.

I had an abdominal CT scan this morning. I've had it done so many times that it's not a big deal anymore. It's the kind where they inject the contrast material, and it makes your pelvis go very warm and creates the taste of garlic in your mouth. For some reason, I didn't get the garlic taste today--thank goodness! Tomorrow I go to my gastroenterologist to get started on a clinical trial for a new drug that may help with my constant heartburn. Keeping my fingers crossed. One thing I'm very curious about is this: The trial runs for two months, and if the drug works for me, will I actually have access to it after the trial ends? It's only in stage 2 and still has to go into stage 3 and then be approved by the FDA (good luck). I won't regale you with my feelings about the FDA.

I hope you'll all post an update soon and let us all know how things are going. Sadie, Patti, Lisa, Gail, Claudette, and everyone else--take care.

Rena

29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

DJW
  • Total Posts : 942
  • Reward points : 6180
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, October 10, 2008 10:35 AM
Rena,

Thanks for "nudging" us to post. I had my next-to-last chemo last week; the final one is 10/22. They are not doing radiation, as I have a higher likelihood of metastasis at a distance than I do of local recurrence. I have asked for and will get a base-line PET.

Tuesday (10/7) was my last day of paid leave. My mother moved in with me in May and we are working on a budget. My savings will be exhausted in early November. My ex refuses to pay child support so I'm looking for a pro bono attorney. My uncle has offered to loan me money interest-fee. Since I'm excpecting a large tax return, I can pay him back in February.

My protected FMLA leave ends 11/13. I'm applying for long-term disability and my onc wants me to apply for SS disability. I was a credit union executive whose job was strategic planning and process engineering. The effects of the chemo have lead to an inability to perform that job and the aggravation of a long-term anxiety disorder. My doc wants me to go on permanent disability. Even if my head returns to "normal," my onc does not want me to ever again work in a high stress job. I know this is an opportunity to create a balanced life, but it's hard to accept that the reason I'm doing this is mental & emotional. But it is also to allow me to focus on wellness too.

Just had to vent! I know this could be a wonderful opportunity and that I may not need to remain on disability forever.

Thank goodness for this online community!

Deborah

Deborah, Albuquerque, 59, 5 year survivor!!

-Diagnosis: IDC & DCIS, Stage IIb, Grade 3, Triple Negative (3/19/08)
-No family history, BRCA 1&2 neg (Jun 08)
-A/C (4 DD Apr - Jun 08), Taxol (4 Wkly Jul-Aug 08), Taxol (2 DD Oct 08)
-Modified radical mastectomy with immediate saline implant (8/19/08), 3/12 nodes positive 
-NED!!! (Nov 08)

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, October 10, 2008 4:06 PM
Hi Deborah,

How great that you're almost done with chemo! You have so much on your plate right now, and I hope you can work out the disability. It sounds as though your doctor is very caring. There's no reason to feel bad about taking time to heal emotionally. Stress sure doesn't help us heal, and you need to heal now. Please let us know how it all works out. Take care, and I hope you have a relaxing, peaceful weekend.

Love,
Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 18 of 68, messages 341 to 360 of 1341