Triple Negative-How are you doing?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 20 of 68, messages 381 to 400 of 1341
Lisa11388
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 5135
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:58 AM
Oh Mary Lou, you made me laugh.  I didnt realize that it was good luck.  I think I'd rather go with a 4 leaf clover or something!
Deborah, sorry about the hair loss, although it is good to get it over with and stop the mess and the pain.  I lost mine on thanksgiving day.  I went to my inlaws with a hat on to try to keep it from getting all over.
Karey, congrats on the good onc visit.  I go for a mammo and a visit in the next couple of weeks, then I go to every six months for visits.
Rena, cant wait to meet you next weekend.  I cant believe its almost here.  I think the weather is going to be better than I first thought, but still bring your fleece!  I bought some pink fleece gloves and headband today in case I get cold on the hay rack ride.
Sadie, hope those arms are rested so you can go cuddle those granddaughters again.
Gail, are you coming to breast fest?  I cant keep it all straight - so many people coming.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Lisa Long
Central Illinois
dx 8-29-05 age 43
mast & lat flap 9-30-05
triple neg brca neg
4.5 cm node neg
6 a/c followed by 5 taxol 10/05-3/06
28 rads 5/06-6/06
Currently NED

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 1:00 PM
Kathy, it sure sounds as though your oncologist is wonderful. Sure, we want them to excellent at what they do, but when they're also caring and compassionate, it's wonderful. I'll bet those second-graders are adorable. Lisa, I'll see you in less than a week. Gail and her husband are coming. I'm really not looking forward to the trip itself--three flights followed by an hour's drive, but it will help to have Ilene with me. I'm sure the weekend will fly by. Thanks for the warning about the weather--I guess I'll pack layers.

I love this thread. It reminds me that so many women are surviving and thriving, and I need to remember that. Breast Cancer Awareness Month brings me down. I know it's supposed to be uplifting, with all the pink and the fund raising for research (which, of course, is great), and the TV movies, like the one about the doctor who developed Herceptin. I taped the movie last night, but I can't bring myself to watch it.I think I have three breast-cancer-related movies taped that I haven't watched yet, and I don't want to. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. Shouldn't I just be grateful that I've lived so long and shouldn't I see the glass as half-full? I just feel sad right now. I've been bursting into tears over dumb things all week, and I feel as though I have no right to feel bad because my life is good and I'm not fighting cancer (I hope), as so many women are. Is it selfish to feel this way when other people are hurting so much?

Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

DJW
  • Total Posts : 942
  • Reward points : 6180
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 1:11 PM
Rena,

You are a deeply caring person, so I suspect you are really crying about the fact that BC is an epidemic, and it is affecting younger and younger women. As a long-term survivor, I'm sure you assumed that there would have been a cure in the years since you were diagnosed. Yes, there have been many advances, but certainly not a cure.

So be easy on yourself, your sadness this month is just a sign of how much you care!!

I hope I get a chance to meet you someday. Albuquerque is a great destination, so maybe someday we can have a get together here!!

Deborah, Albuquerque, 59, 5 year survivor!!

-Diagnosis: IDC & DCIS, Stage IIb, Grade 3, Triple Negative (3/19/08)
-No family history, BRCA 1&2 neg (Jun 08)
-A/C (4 DD Apr - Jun 08), Taxol (4 Wkly Jul-Aug 08), Taxol (2 DD Oct 08)
-Modified radical mastectomy with immediate saline implant (8/19/08), 3/12 nodes positive 
-NED!!! (Nov 08)

pinkgirl
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:16 PM
Hello all. I am new here. I was diagnosed back in May. I finished chemo at the end of September and I begin radiation tomorrow. I am a little nervous, but I have read up on radiation here and I feel better prepared. I also go back to work on Wednesday. I am so happy I have found this support system. It is so wonderful to find fellow triple negative sisters.
DX 5/20/08 Medullary BC at age 28
5/30 Lumpectomy, 1/16 + nodes
Triple Negative
4 AC, 4 Taxol
33 Radiation starting 10/20

DJW
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:23 PM
Welcome "Pink Girl"! We're sorry for the reason you are joining us but are glad you found us. What's your name?

-Modified radical mastectomy with immediate saline implant (8/19/08), 3/12 nodes positive 
-NED!!! (Nov 08)

pinkgirl
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:30 PM
Sorry I forgot to write that, my name is Danielle!!! Thanks for the welcome. I am so glad I found this site.

Danielle
DX 5/20/08 Medullary BC at age 28
5/30 Lumpectomy, 1/16 + nodes
Triple Negative
4 AC, 4 Taxol
33 Radiation starting 10/20

DJW
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:44 PM
Welcome, Danielle!

Deborah

-NED!!! (Nov 08)

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:08 PM
Hi Danielle and welcome. It's great that you're done with chemo, and I hope the radiation goes by quickly for you. Deborah, thank you so much for your kind message. Your understanding really means a lot to me. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Sadie Rose
  • Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:51 PM

Hi Gang,

I want to wish a special welcome to you, Danielle. I'm glad you found us.

Rena, I had a similar experience. This weekend I was at my daughter's helping with the babies and she put in some Cd's of her two older boys when they were babies. I was having such fun watching the family fun from a few years back. Then I appeared in the video (CD). My face looked swollen and I realized I had my wig on. It shook me to see that image. It brought all the feelings back. It stayed with me all day and I had to work hard to shake it off.

I guess I shared that because I think when breast cancer is so highlighted in the media, it keeps its memory more present for us. I too am so happy to have had these last few years with my family and I am so grateful, but that doesn't take away the memories of the journey and the challenges it brought.

Lisa, Marylou, Deborah, Gail and anyone else I might have missed. Hope you have a pleasant evening and a relaxing night.

Warmly,
Sadie

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, October 20, 2008 12:19 PM
Sadie, you're right. No matter how far out from diagnosis you go, the way that breast cancer touches your life stays with you. It's just that you tend to think about it less over time. Maybe that's why movies about breast cancer upset me so much--they "wake up" those old feelings that are so painful. I remember wanting to read, hear and watch anything I could about breast cancer when I was newly diagnosed--and there wasn't much to read, hear or watch in 1986. Nancy Reagan was diagnosed around 1987, I think, and suddenly the world was interested in hearing about it. I was asked to go on a local TV show to talk about it, along with a nurse. The nurse and I were standing backstage talking before we went on, and she asked me about my diagnosis. So I told her about being ER/PR negative and having 22 positive nodes. During the show, she said that Nancy Reagan was very lucky because hers was caught early and her nodes were negative. She said that Nancy Reagan had a very good prognosis, "not like Rena, who had a lot of node involvement." I'll never forget that. It was bad enough that I knew in my heart that my prognosis wasn't good, but to have her announce it on TV made it so much more real. Ah, the insensitivity! Anyway, time has helped me forget so much--or at least it has blunted the sharp edges a lot. This is what happens, and it's a wonderful thing. But the sadness never goes away completely. It lies dormant and sometimes gets awakened by things. I hope I'm not bringing anyone down with all this talk. I apologize if I am. I know that I'm emphasizing the negative right now, so let me focus for a moment on what's really wonderful:

You can deal with this disease and move on to live a long, healthy life. You can watch your children and grandchildren grow into adults. You can travel and see new things. You can have wonderful years with your hubby, significant other. etc. OR you can find a wonderful hubby or significant other (if you don't currently have one). You can see the world change in so many amazing ways--new inventions, progress in medicine, etc. Wow! My own work has changed significantly in just the past 20 years: I used to have my clients mail me their manuscripts; I'd edit them on hard copy with a pencil; and then I'd mail them back. First, FedEx came along and replaced snail mail; then the Internet and email allowed me to never touch a piece of paper or a pencil. It has revolutionized my work and so many other things. All of us would never have met without the Internet! So, life is good and amazing, and the future holds so many exciting unknowns for us all. Right now, one of the nicest things in my life is seeing my daughter falling in love with a young man who is just the sweetest, nicest guy. They're young (24 and 23) and things can change, but it gives me joy to see their budding relationship.

Yikes! I really am rambling. Thank you all for letting me go on about all of this. I may not be in a "glass is half-full" place at the moment, but I'm trying to shift my perspective to see it that way. It's like those drawings--if you look at it one way, you see one picture, but if you shift your perspective, you see something entirely different. I think life is like that. We have the ability to shift gears and change how we see things. It's just not easy sometimes.

Love to you all,

Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, October 20, 2008 6:57 PM
Rena,
You described what I was trying to say perfectly! 

Sadie 

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, October 20, 2008 9:42 PM
Thanks, Sadie!
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Monday, October 20, 2008 10:00 PM
I just love hearing "positive" stories about triple negatives! Everything out there seems to always be so...negative. I'm not talking about ignoring things. It's just that I like to hear about Rena's 21 (or is it 22) years and see that Sadie is nearly four years out. I like to read about triple negatives traveling, having "adventures", trying new things, having fun and living life in the moment and not forgetting how to laugh.

I don't post very much. Chemo was rough on me and now my second graders keep me running. However, I just wanted to say I do appreciate being able to read this thread and hearing about all of the beautiful, wonderful, amazing and strong triple negative ladies.

Kathy
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Coco
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:21 PM
Hi All,  Wow I was away for the weekend celebrating my Mother's 100th birthday and it seems like everyone wrote in the last five days.  It took me 10 minutes to catch up on everyone.
Danielle, Sorry that you have to join us under these circumstances.  There is a thread called Radiation tips and experiences that myself and another Komen sister started awhile ago that might give you some insight into what you may be experiencing in the future.
I don't post often but I do check in on all of you daily.
Claudette
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa

DJW
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:31 PM
Dear Triple Neg Sisters,
(I'm elevating the discussion back to the top under Sadie's first message.)

I waned you to know that tomorrow is my last chemo!! I'm not doing rads, so other than finishing the reconstruction sometime early next year, I'm done with treatment. I should be feeling ecstatic, but since my med onc and onc nurse have kept me glued together since early April I'm actually feeling apprehensive.

Whose going to keep me glued together now? I see a therapist and she's great. (Currently we are focusing on where I go with my life from here.) But my onc is the one who "gets it" and has kept me going. It's like I'm a little scared of the future!

Speaking of which, I had the interview with the LTD insurance company yesterday, and it's sounding very positive. Maybe my sense of apprehension is because I'm waiting to hear about that.

Anyway, I feel like I need a big celebration, but I'm going to be too sick to enjoy it. Maybe I should wait until I get through the next couple of weeks.

Any thoughts on how you felt with your last treatment would be appreciated!!

-NED!!! (Nov 08)

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:46 PM
Hi everyone. Kathy and Claudette, it was good to hear from you. Deborah, I'm pretty sure that every one of us can relate to exactly what you're feeling. It's wonderful that you're done, and it's normal to feel vulnerable and "at sea." I promise you that will pass. In a few weeks, when the effects of your chemo have worn off and you are feeling more like yourself, I think the newfound energy, the no-nausea, no-muscle aches, and no-post-chemo blahs will have you feeling really happy that you're done with that chapter of your life. You don't have to rush into celebrating. Wait until you really FEEL like celebrating. The evening of my last chemo (it took 14 months to get through it!) , we went to a gathering at a friend's house. Everyone was very nice, but I felt so alone in the room that I told my husband I had to leave. He stayed and I went home. I just wanted to be with my little girl and my cat and "alone" with my feelings. When it's all over, you finally have the "luxury" of really contemplating what you've been through, and it can be overwhelming. I'm glad you have a good therapist. It's so helpful to have someone to talk to, and it sounds as though she'll really help you make this transition. And you have all of us to cheer you on! Lots of love, and congratulations!! Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Sadie Rose
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:48 PM
\
Hi Deborah,
Your feelings are very common and not fun.  When I was going through chemo therapy, I thought I was doing really well keeping my spirits up and my sense of humor.  I was talking with a nurse about that and she said, Oh you will have a hard time when you finish treatment.  I remember thinking she doesn't know me, I will be fine. 

Well, I did take a dip.  It was a difficult transition.  I think it was hard because of my own thoughts.  I felt like my safety net was being taken away.  Well, it wasn't.  There are lots of follow up visits.

Soon though the time between appointments will go by quickly.  As you adjust ,you will appreciate not having to go to appointments so often.  You can focus on playing, other interests and just being.

When I finished everything, after my last radiation treatment I went to the beach for a week.  I wanted to have some sense of closure and I wanted to be in a healing place.  It was very helpful and gave me a chance to rest and prepare for the new me.

I hope you get to celebrate when you are ready.

Warmly,
Sadie

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:50 PM
Deborah,

I was like you. I knew I'd be in too much pain to celebrate right after I finished chemo. Taxol was "mean" to me so I have been very shocked at how quickly I recovered from it with barely any neuropathy left in my feet by now. I was told it could sometimes take a year and in some cases it stays. Based on how awful it was to me, I anticipated the worst and was pleasantly surprised.

Our 27th wedding anniversary was two days after I finished radiation. We never really had a honeymoon as we were moving 1,000 miles away to school and were destitute college students so my husband and I do a mini-honeymoon weekend. We've managed to do this faithfully every year since our first anniversary. It hasn't always been much but we've always managed to get away overnight for some "us" time. Back in the early days sometimes our special event was just hanging out at the state fair because we couldn't afford much more than that and dinner. However, we've never neglected that time even if we've had to postpone it for a few months.

This year my husband had to work that weekend. His college was starting early due to the RNC in St. Paul. We planned it for the weekend before while I was still in radiation. To tell you the truth, I was sort of dragging my feet a bit as I had radiation burns. On the other hand, I knew he really needed a break. He was so fabulous during my treatment that all my friends wanted to know if he was for rent. Yes, he does dishes, floors, laundry and is a great cook amongst other things and no, he's not for sale or even rent I also knew he just wanted me to feel special.

So, I put on my best face and packed a bag for the weekend. It was wonderful and I didn't regret it for a moment. I needed that so much. We saw a wonderful comedy and had a very enjoyable dinner. The hotel was beautiful. The desk clerk heard us talking about our anniversary and she couldn't help but notice my head as I was wearing a cap and my lack of hair was still pretty obvious. We were surprised by a beautiful desert tray sent up to us by the concierge. It had been a tough year and little gestures such as this moved both of us to tears.

I went back to work the following week as school would be starting soon (I teach second grade). I'd been on medical leave since the end of February so life got very busy very quickly. I still have a longing to really get away though. I'm not a homebody and that has been the most difficult part of this whole year. My wings got clipped.

We are thinking about going to see some of my husband's family down in Florida over Christmas this year. We're also having a big Thanksgiving celebration with a lot of family and friends. My birthday is the day after Thanksgiving and we really feel like we have a lot to be thankful for!

My oncologist has been the voice of sanity for me. Although my regular appointments are every four months, he has made it very clear to me that I can still call, email or even schedule additional appointments to see him in between if necessary. He also has a very wonderful nurse who I can contact as well. I saw him last week and he told me that while things will get better with time, the fear of recurrence will never completely go away. He understands that fear is very real and that's why he wanted to emphasize that he does not take the concerns of his patients lightly, even if they are groundless.

My pcp is wonderful as well. She wants to see me two to three times a year as well. She says she gets a bit over-protective of her patients who are cancer survivors. She understands that "lost" feeling as well and so she likes to keep a close eye on them as well for that reason as well as the other obvious ones.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Rena
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:55 AM
Kathy, your husband sounds like a great guy. So if he's not for rent or sale, can we at least clone him? No doubt you deserve all the wonderful treatment he gave you! Here's to many more anniversaries and great getaways. Love, Rena
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

DJW
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:27 PM
Hey Girls,
I had my last chemo today! I go back tomorrow for my last Nuelasta shot. Then I see the onc in three weeks for bloodwork and scheduling a base-line PET scan. I keep forgetting to ask how long she wants me to leave the port in. I thought I'd wait until I get a NED result from the PET scan to have the port removed. Just in case. I'll also set up an appointment with the PS to discuss whether or not to do the next stage of reconstruction.

I did feel a little celebratory when I finished. Of course, this would be the day when the lab's computer crashed and I had to wait 2 hours for my blood work so I could start chemo. I was already hyped up on steroids so I'd sit awhile, pace, eat, sit, etc. My mother came and sat with me for the last hour. In the beginning, I preferred to have no one there except for dropping in for a few minutes, but it was good to have her with me today!  Thanks for all the love and support.

So now I am moving on into an unknown future that I am determined will be wonderful and not defined solely by the BC.

-NED!!! (Nov 08)

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 20 of 68, messages 381 to 400 of 1341