Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 44, messages 1 to 10 of 432
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:51 PM
HI ALL, Coco and I decided we wanted to make a thread for radiation treatments. It can become difficult to locate them once they are lost in the traffic flow here.
SO, for everyone doing radiation now, has it coming up, or all you wonderful ladies/gents full of experience...please post on this thread.

I think my last post was letting everyone know this was coming up for me. It did get postponed some. I had my alignment with the radiation machine today. I was perscribed BIAFINE to use 3 to 4 times a day starting today and throughout treatment...possibly beyond. My first treatment is Monday at 11:45. I hate the time, but they had nothing any earlier. I told them to put me on the "move up when others finish list." I would much prefer to go between 9 and 10, as the traffic is lighter then.
Here's hoping we can help this be a good experience for all that have to endure radiation. Coco, have a safe and wonderful trip...looking forward to your posts coming up soon....and everyone else that wants to march through this with us. WE ARE WARRIORS.    HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
dawn22222

• Total Posts : 326
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:58 PM
Hi Susan--

I have just completed 32 treatments and have THREE more left!! Thank heavens!!

I don't think my skin could take any more zapping.

My boob and surrounding area is red for the most part ... tho there is some tanning in some parts.

Vitamin E cream and Aloe are my friends ... many, many times a day I apply -- and do it from the very first day -- even tho you may see no skin changes until midway thru.

The worst place for me, and it's pretty darn red is on my abdomen underneath my boob ... be sure the lather EVERYWHERE!!

Good luck to all!
Dawn

47 yrs old
Apr 07 Armpit lump was cancerous node
Another bump next to it breast tissue/cancer
Stage III A
ER/PR+ HR-
A/C 11 wks
Axil Diss/lump 8/07, 22 nodes, 2+
Taxol 12 wks
37 Rads 2/21/08
Femara 5 yrs
D&C 3/08
Ooph 4/08
Jeanne Serbeck

• Total Posts : 2956
  • Reward points : 5210
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:59 PM
Hi Susan,
Well since you already had your simulation you have probably already been marked.  I was warned not to wear anything good for my markikng and simulation, but I forgot.  Even though they use permament marker it still messed up my bra.  So...for all of you who haven't been there yet?  Wear something that you don't mind getting marker on.  This applies throughout...at least it did for me.  The marker does wear off and they would have to occassionally remark me, so from the beginning I tried to wear clothes that I wouldn't mind being ruined.  I would sometimes bring something nicer with me and change into that afterwards if I wasn't remarked that day.  Radiation, at least getting it, is a piece of cake compared to chemo.  I did get progressively more and more tired though.  Towards the end waves of utter and total fatigue would hit me like a hot flash!  I would have to take a little catnap and then I was fine.  I did burn badly at the end, even with putting the lotion on, so make sure you always use it.  Good luck on what hopefully will be the last stage of your journey!  Jeanne

Houston, TX
Dx 9/30/05
Lumpectomy, SNB 10/17/05
Stage IIIc, 17/23 nodes positive
DD a/c
12 weeks Taxol
Mastectomy 5/06
Radiation 6 weeks
Femara
SURVIVOR!!!!
CMFR1

• Total Posts : 2528
  • Reward points : 3245
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:20 PM
I have 8 more boosts to go! My skin has held up amazingly well according to the doctor and the techs. Everyone is surprised on hwo well I did. I use Jeanne's cream after showering and immediately after treatment. I also put pure vitamin E oil and aloe on before bed. I have added aquaphor my nipple area which is very sore which I put on several times a day. I think the key is lots of lotions but only the ones they allow. I don't wear a bra when at home and on days I don't work, I wear a camisole with a shelf bra. This is to avoid abrasion of the skin

I also have some fatigue issues. Not as bad as with chemo but definitely there. Pace yourself.

Good luck to everyone!

Caroline
Diagnosed 05/2007, Stage IIA, 1.4cm tumor, ER/PR+, Her2-, lumpectomy, chemo and rads.
1981 Thyroid cancer
Otherwise I am consider myself a professional patient who feels as healthy as a horse on the way to the glue factory as I cope with all my other medical maladies

Judith

• Total Posts : 1211
  • Reward points : 5500
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:48 PM
Hi Susan,

Do not use any deodorant or cream prior to your radiation you should have been instructed on this as well as what deodorant to use. I liked Aquafor for the radiated area and went without a bra it was much  more comfortable. I also was given samples of cream at radiation.

You will be just fne!

Love,
Judy
JudyHendricks-
Lino Lakes,Mn
Dx:3-25-05@age 58
5-2-05 Lumpectomy DX:invasive ductal carcinoma& extensive dcis
33 rads Arimidex started 7/05 July 2010 stopped
carepage:judyhendricks
Dx Spine- osteopenia 7-06
12-06 started Boniva inj.every 3 months
Coco

• Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:25 PM
Hi All, 
This is great.  Thanks Susan for starting this thread.  We are already getting some good tips.
I had my first meeting with my radiation oncologist on Tuesday and was tattooed in three places.  After all the needle sticks with chemo this was like a mosquito bite.  They put me in a CT machine to line up where they wanted to radiate.
I am going away next week and am supposed to start treatments Feb 25th.  I'll post after I start.
Thanks again Susan.
[sm=pals.gif]Claudette 
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa
GottahaveFAITH

• Total Posts : 55
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:59 PM
I have completed 26 rads and 1 boost; 8 more boosts to go. 

I have held up remarkably well too.  My skin is merely tan, a little itchy under the arm though.  They said that because I'm small breasted (see, I knew that my little boobs would come in handy one day), my skin is tolerating it well.  They said that bigger breasted women usually have more issues.

They gave me a gel to use and I use it twice a day.  Now that I am doing my boosts, the doc said to double up on the gel on the nipple area.  

The fatigue hasn't been too bad either.  Some days are better than others. 

I really can't complain about the rads.  I did not have to have chemo and I always think it could be so much worse so I don't dare complain.  I thank God for the technology and advances in BC research everyday I lie under the rad machine.

Good luck to everyone!
<message edited by GottahaveFAITH on Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:48 PM>
Laura Age 42
Dx 10/10/07;4 surgeries thru 12/07 for clear margins
ER+PR+/HER2-
Grade 1 Stage 1 1.2 cm&2 mm tumors
IDC/DCIS Nodes CLEAR;Onco score 11
35 rads done;Start Tamoxifen 3/2/08
7yr old daughter dx w/Leukemia 4/9/07
God Has a Plan
fight4mom

• Total Posts : 48
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:52 PM
Is there any way to sticky this thread to keep it at the top?  It looks like mom is going to have to have the old style rads and I know she is upset about it.  Not to mention she has to travel 30+ miles every day to have it done.  I'd be interested in following this thread...
Krista
33 y.o. mom to 3 wonderful kids
daughter to a wonderful fighter of IDC, Ann
steph c.

• Total Posts : 265
  • Reward points : 4080
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:38 PM
Hi all,
I finish rads on the 29th, God willing, etc.  My underarm area is very red and irritated.  I'm trying to keep using the aloe and the Aquafor.  I'm pretty tired and it happens suddenly.  I am trying to hang in there.
I didn't get very red on the breast area just pinkish so far.  So, that's my story.  Steph
48 yo gal from Texas!
ILC
Stage 2A, grade 3
node neg. triple neg.
Lumpectomy 6/6/07 2.7cm tumor
chemo AC x 4 every 2wks begin 7/16/07
followed by 12 weekly treatments Taxol
6wks rads starting 1/14/08 Done 3/1/08!
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
Krista - Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:27 PM
We should be using this thread pretty often for awhile. It should also be easy to find in search, should it carry over to other pages for a day or so. We tried to think up a title that would make it easy to find. If you write down the subject, you can always find it through search that way, or by searching my name.

I hope this thread will help you and your mom get her through this. That is its intention. GOOD LUCK. HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 44, messages 1 to 10 of 432

Jump to: