Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 12 of 44, messages 111 to 120 of 432
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
Hi Diane - Saturday, March 08, 2008 11:08 AM
I had a male that did all the simulation work on me. Two ladies do the treatments every day, so I lucked up there. Great tip about the wig. Fortunaltey, I have hair again and did not have to suffer through that. I am so sorry you went through that. My mold was done differently. It is like a bean bag and once he got it shaped, they just sucked the air out and it stays the shape they wanted. I just hate the hospital FASHION gowns. In all these years it looks like they could improve those things. Rads. nurse said I should design one...would make a fortune! HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
Coco

• Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: Hi Diane - Saturday, March 08, 2008 12:02 PM
Susan,  What kind of mold?  I go in, lay down on a table and put my arms in styrup like devices.  Then they line up my body with laser lights based on where the tattoos are.  When I'm lined up they zap me first on one side and then the machine moves around me to a different angle and I get zapped again.  Did you get tattoos?
Claudette
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa
Susan

Coco - Saturday, March 08, 2008 12:11 PM
WOW, yours is different from most reported here. I learned about the molds long before the rad. onc. mentioned them.  Mine keeps my head turned to the left, so they can radiate the neck. My right arm is up over my head and they molded where it should be. It has a nice little pocket to lie in. I have a handle just behind my head to hold on to. My left arm is at my side and my hand tucked under my butt. YES, they line up lazer lights and YES, I have TEN tattooes. Yes, they move the machine three times for my treatments (each side and straight down). They put a wedge under my knees so that lying on the table is more comfortable. Sometimes they strap my feet, but not so much now. I think they know I am not going to move. I don't want that stuff going anywhere it isn't supposed to. I think you are one of the first to say they didn't have some type of mold to lie in. Do they use the bolace/gel pad on you? They use it every other day for me.  HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
DianeA.

• Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points : 2810
RE: Hi Diane - Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:54 PM
I had a male that did all the simulation work on me. Two ladies do the treatments every day, so I lucked up there. Great tip about the wig. Fortunaltey, I have hair again and did not have to suffer through that. I am so sorry you went through that. My mold was done differently. It is like a bean bag and once he got it shaped, they just sucked the air out and it stays the shape they wanted. I just hate the hospital FASHION gowns. In all these years it looks like they could improve those things. Rads. nurse said I should design one...would make a fortune! HUGS.

Susan - I was hoping that he would only be there for the simulation.  Maybe I will get lucky and they two woman will always be there.  Your mold is definitely different.  My mold got really warm and formed to my body.  And my body was formed exactly how you said yours was.  I don't like the hospital gowns neither.  Oh and I had eight tattooes not as many as you and they said they have four spots to treat when i thought i had two??

Diane 
Dx'd @ 42 Now 46 - New Jersey
Dx'd 8/20/07 - Stage IIIa
Lumpectomy 9/7/07
ER/PR+, HER2 (Not Amplified)
4x A/C, 4x Taxol - DONE 2/8/08!!!
Radiation - DONE 4/25/08!!!
Tamoxifen 3/22/08
Started Lupron Shots - 10/2010
6/20/11 Dx'd Stage 4 to Lungs
6/31/11 Start Chemo - Gemzar
Coco

RE: Coco - Sunday, March 09, 2008 12:43 PM
Susan,  What is a bolace/gel pad?  I have 7 tattoos.  Maybe some others have the same procedure that I have.  I'll ask tomorrow about the molds.
Claudette
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
Triple negative
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa
Susan

RE: Coco - Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:20 PM
How to describe the bolace/gel pad? Ruth calls it a mouse pad. My rads nurse said jello texture. It is a pad that my rad. onc. has used every other day on mastectomy patients so that the radiation stays more on top of the skin. If I had a lumpectomy, they would not use it. This is also the reason I am told I will burn so badly. No fat to absorb some of the radiation, so they try to keep it on the surface of the skin. You had a lumpectomy, so no need for this. I hope this helps.

Most ladies when I read in the past about the molds, speak of like a garbage bag with plaster inside, that shapes and then hardens. That is why I wrote about mine being so different. It is like a large pillow that they shaped around me and then removed the air to hold the shape. I thought everyone got one...maybe not, since you don't have one.  HUGS.
<message edited by Susan Creed on Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:21 PM>
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
Alaska Laura

• Total Posts : 190
  • Reward points : 9250
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, March 10, 2008 1:29 AM
I just had my Sim 1 & 2, CT scan and X-rays last week; start radiation on Tuesday for 6-7 weeks.  Sims, CT and X-ray all a piece of cake, my Oncologist Radiologist said I'd probably be a litte sunburned on the left side of my breast, but they will give me all the cremes and lotions to help with the "sunburn."

Let the games begin!
Laughing and Learning the Hard Way,
Laura
www.laurasjourney.com

1 year out from cancer treatments for Recurrent Invasive Breast Cancer. Her2neu+, ER+/PR+, nodes-.  I am now dancing with NED ;) (no evidence of disease!)
Coco

RE: Coco - Monday, March 10, 2008 9:06 AM
Hi,  I just had my 10th treatment and asked about a mold.  The techs said they don't use molds where I am being treated but one of them had worked somewhere where they did.  Different methods for different places I guess.  anyway 10 down and 25 to go.  It's getting old fast.
Claudette 

Age 67
DX 10/8/07
Triple negative
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
RE: Coco - Monday, March 10, 2008 2:11 PM
Claudette,
I didn't have the "mold" either and was just lined up with my tattoos.  I only had two tattoos so can't even play dot to dot!
Hang in there women....it will soon be over!
Hugs
Julie
codetwinmom

• Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, March 10, 2008 3:20 PM
I spoke too soon...the fatigue hit me right after I posted last week.  I have 13 treatments down, 23 to go.  I feel like someone tied about 50 lbs of weights to my body.  Just overall worn out, but not sleepy tired.  I find that I feel better when I'm active, but try getting me to move once I am settled in!  My boob is just a bit darker/slightly red but no real pain or burning.  I feel a very mild discomfort. 

I did have lumpectomy and they do use bolace on me.  A mouse pad is a good description.  The tech told me it fools the machine into thinking I have more skin.  They use 2 days on/1 day off. No mold here either, I just lay flat and put both arms over my head, holding onto handles.  I get zapped twice and total time on the table is less than 5 minutes.

Hang in there sisters, we're getting closer!

Mona
45 years old
Stage 1/Grade 1 IDC
Lumpectomy and sentinel node removal 1/16/08
Clear margins
Start rads 2/20 (36 total, 28/8 boost), done 4/9/08
Tamoxifen and Lupron started 2/14/08
Living with NED
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 12 of 44, messages 111 to 120 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll