Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 22 of 44, messages 211 to 220 of 432
CEBsblueeyes

• Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Krista - Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:31 AM
Vera,
I just put the corn starch on dry.  It helps keep you dry.  I have been using it under my breast so they do not rub so much.  I have put it on after I have put the Aquaphor on by just sprinkle it on.  I also found that Dove has a body wash that is called pro-age that is really great.  It is really thick and feels so good going on.  I got mine at Big Lots but hope it can be bought at Walmart or other places.  Good luck to everyone.   My skin was worse after I got done radiation up to about yesterday.  I finally see a difference for the better.  Thank God. 
Have a great night.
<message edited by CEBsblueeyes on Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:39 AM>
Carol
DCIS stage 0
Age 47
I have 3 boys, 24,21,&19
Live in Southern Maryland
REMBER ALL THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON
Vera

• Total Posts : 364
RE: Krista - Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:16 AM
Thanks Carol & I'll check at Big Lots for the Dove to see if mine carries it. I just like to be prepared for when I start rads in January. I'm fair skinned to begin with so no idea how my poor breast will handle this radiation.

Thanks again & good luck everyone!
Vera 54yrs - NE Ohio
married to a great guy
dx 5/27/08
IDC Stage II
Er+PR+Her2-
Lumpectomy clear margins 6/20/08
Tumor 2.3cm
2/9 nodes+
4 A/C &12 Taxol Done - Rads -DONE
Putting on the BIG GIRL PANTIES and Combat Boots
June A.

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Krista - Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:56 AM
Just want to say thank you to all of you wonderful ladies for the information and encouragment you give.  Whenever I feel down or can't sleep, you all are there and I can read and read and learn and feel better.

Last night was one of those nights and it helps a lot.  Today will be my 6th treatment, and already the tiredness has set in and I am becoming sore and a little red.  Plan to look into that recovery cream tonight.  A neighbor gave me an aloe plant, so if I can keep it alive, it will be wonderful.

Hang in there everyone and many, many thanks for your support. It certainly was an inspired idea for this wonderful outlet.

Love and Prayers, June
kakz28

• Total Posts : 15
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:35 PM
I just finished my radiation (28 + 5) on October 6. I didn't get tired at all. Made my appts. right around lunch, so I could use some of my lunch hour and worked everyday. I only had to drive about 20 minutes one way to the facility, which wasn't bad at all. I think the worst part was having to change clothes. Once I got there I was generally in and out in about 20-30 min.. This place did between 80-100 a day. I was allowed to use regular deodorant, since they weren't doing under my arm and was allowed to put it on in the morning as long it was longer then 3 hours from my treatment time. Then I would put it on after treatment and then before bed at night. Mine also got bright red, but never hurt. Was also told to go without a bra, but when I needed to wear one I would use one of my husbands hankies and folded it twice to make a square and put that in my bra. Especially underneath so it didn't rub. The creme they gave me was biafine (3x daily) and then when I was starting to burn underneath they gave me SSD silver sulfadiazine cream. They were both very good. The SSD started clearing up my underneath burn the next day. On my last day, I also got a diploma and a stuffed white fluffy teddybear with a hankerchief around his next with the facility name on it. Hope all you ladies that are getting done goes as well as mine did.
Gretchen40

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, October 17, 2008 8:37 AM
I have a question for our radiation "experts." Can anyone give me an idea of how long I can expect to be discolored?

I had radiation the week of July 14th and I'm still dark on one side. Louise is white and Thelma is latino? haha.

So like I said,it's been 3 months and I'm still discolored. Any thoughts?
DCIS dx 12/20/07
Grade2 ER+100% PR+50% HER2-
BRCA1/BRCA2 neg.
5/23/08 needle loc/lumpectomy rt side
07/08 10 rounds  Rads
12/08 Tamoxifen

carepage:Gretchen1967
kakz28

RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, October 17, 2008 10:04 AM
Hi Gretchen, I finished mine on 10/6. The red went away on the whole area except where my boosts are done after 1 week of not having the whole area done.  Then I started my boosts and today that area is still a little red, but not much.
babynurse

• Total Posts : 161
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, October 17, 2008 11:58 AM
Hi ladies - I am about to start rads on Mon., 10-20.  I was told absolutely NOT to wear a bra at all for the entire time I was getting treatments.  My breasts are not small but I am petite and feel like I need more support than a little cami with a shelf provides.  Did any of you continue to wear a bra at least part of the time?  Also, those of you who had left breast treated, did you experinece any cardiac problems after (possibly showing up from a MUGA scan)?
Thanks for all this great info!
di
Diane
54 years young
Houston, TX
Dx 3-4-08 IDC & DCIS 1.3 cm left breast
Node negative, triple negative
Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy 3-12-08
Port placed 5-7-08
Chemo finished 10-02-08!
Rads completed 12-9-08!
kakz28

RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, October 17, 2008 12:21 PM
babynurse,
The only time I didn't wear a bra was when I got home from work and whenever I was home on Sat & Sun. Otherwise I wore one. Like I mentioned I put one of my husbands hankies in my bra so it didn't rub especially at the bottom. Mine was also left and I didn't experience any problems that I know of. I just finished mine 2 weeks ago.
Karebear

• Total Posts : 409
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, October 17, 2008 3:43 PM
Di,

I'm large busted so I bought a soft sports bra. It's comfortable and gives me the support I need. The only thing they told me was to not wear a underwire bra, so I'm not sure why you can't wear one.

Thanks ladies for this thread. I just finished my second week of rads. I'm a little tender today and tired. The fatigue is probably because I've scheduled my rads for early in the morning so that I can work full time. I took 4 months off for chemo so I really didn't want to miss anymore work for rads. I'm just going to be a lot earlier in the evenings.

Hugs,
Karen
Karen-Age 44
IDC-Grade 3 Stage 1 (lefty)
dx 2/29/08
Lumpectomy-3/24/08
4/4/08-SBN (neg) & re-excision
4/28/08-3rd Re-excision-Clear margins!!!!
Chemo-5/27/08(TC X2-bad reaction) CMF-(X3)
Rads-Oct. 08' (34)
Tamoxifen-Oct. 08'
CEBsblueeyes

• Total Posts : 35
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:26 AM
I wore a bra for most of the time I was going through rads.  Some of the time I would ware a mens wife beater t under my bra.  I got done with rads on October 1st and I have not wore a bra except to go out.  For some reasion my skin was fine durning rads but wanted to give me probles after.  Under my breast has finally started to feel at least a little better.  The doctor told me on Monday that it just takes time for the skin to heal and to keep babying that area.  One of the things I do to keep my bra's from getting messed up from the auqafor is to put a sanatery pad in the bra.  It helps also helps the rubbing.  Good luck!
Hugs
Carol
DCIS stage 0
Age 47
I have 3 boys, 24,21,&19
Live in Southern Maryland
REMBER ALL THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 22 of 44, messages 211 to 220 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll