Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 26 of 44, messages 251 to 260 of 432
sadecou2

• Total Posts : 132
  • Reward points : 1150
Re: Krista - Saturday, February 07, 2009 5:52 PM
Had 30 radiation treatments.  I don't know what it is about the Radiation Oncologists or Radiation Techs but they are the greatest people.  I love them all.

My skin got through it pretty well.  I got a burn on my neck during treatment.  I found that Aloe Gel (find it at Walgreens or CVS) worked the best for the burn.  They gave me a Silver based cream.  It worked pretty well but the Aloe kept my skin soft and made the burn heal quickly.

My advice is to use the Biafine at its scheduled times and use the Aloe around it.  That is how it went for me and I have started to peel since radiation ended and there is brand new PINK skin underneath it.  Healed very nicely.  My Radiation Oncologist is very happy with how I am healing.

I think that this post should be at the top, as well.  Thank you for making that suggestion.
DX 3/08 LB Rad Mast 22 Lymph nodes removed 6 infect, RB Simple Mast, 4-AC/4-Taxotere, Tamoxifen (failed), Zoladex/Arimidex (failed), 39 rads - chest, 12 rads - back, Abraxane/Avastin/Zometa (current), Stage IV - mets in bone & liver 
Terri B.

• Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Krista - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:27 PM
30 down, 3 to go!!! 

These boosts seem pretty easy.  My energy level "seems" to be coming back.  But that might be because I'm geeked about almost being finished!!

My shoulder blade still itches insanely!!  I use a ruler on it while i'm at work.  My armpit is brown and peeling with pretty pink skin underneath.  My whole boob is BRIGHT RED.  These areas are not painful because of the mastectomy numbness.  My clavicle is brown and starting to peel too.
The only painful area is right below my breast crease.  That skin is very angry and annoyed right now.

Almost done!!!  Woo hoo!!! 
Terri B.
46 yrs. young
Dx IDC 3/6/08 1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III 3+nodes
Stage IIA es/pr- Her2+++
Dbl Mast w/exp. 4-14-08 port placement 5-23-08
T/H x12/FEC x 4 done 11-10-08/RADS 33x finish 2-13-09! 
Implant swap 12-3-08 new girls!!
Herceptin until June 09 

Jacksonville, AR (near Little Rock)

ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re: Krista - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:17 PM
Woo hoo Terry!!  It heals very fast!  

Hug,
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Vera

• Total Posts : 364
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:34 PM
I ended up buying some Fruit of the Loom "wife beater" undershirts at Target. There were 6 in the pkg for $8. I am wearing those under a sweater & since they are so long, I can tuck the shirt up under my breast after I put the cream on so I don't have the breast laying on the skin & get a yeast infection. I started putting the gel from my Aloe plant on the radiated area during the day in between the Biafine applications. Knock wood, so far, so good.
Vera 54yrs - NE Ohio
married to a great guy
dx 5/27/08
IDC Stage II
Er+PR+Her2-
Lumpectomy clear margins 6/20/08
Tumor 2.3cm
2/9 nodes+
4 A/C &12 Taxol Done - Rads -DONE
Putting on the BIG GIRL PANTIES and Combat Boots
MCJ

• Total Posts : 4
Re: Krista - Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:26 PM
I had radiation 13 years ago and it wasn' till the end that I had a pink tinge to my skin. All these years I thought I didn't have any side effects... so proud of myself for sailing through it - no skin changes etc.   Turns out now my PT believes, and it makes sense to me, that the radiation has contributed to my rotator cuff tendonitis - muscles, tissues etc constricting, fighting against the shoulder/back muscle etc.

One thing I learned - 13 years later - when I was diagnosed with cancer in the same breast is that you can't have radiation again in the same spot so I needed to have a mastectomy this past January.  Radiation also causes some damage to blood vessels which impacts the reconstruction issues.
babygirl205

• Total Posts : 48
Re: Krista - Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:28 PM
Hi! I am starting radiation this upcoming Wednesday, having had my simulation last week & final filming, etc. will be on Tuesday. Thanks to all the ladies who have posted about their experiences and shared tips on how to get through it all...... I have taken notes!

Question - does anyone have any experience with a cream called MIADERM??? This is what my doctor is recommending - 3x/day - and then Aquaphor at night plus as needed. Just curious if this stuff is any good -- seems like everyone may have used other creams......

THANKS!
Deb
dx: 4/7/2008
left multifocal IDC, ER/PR+ HER2-
BRCA2+
Bilateral Mastectomy with one-step reconstruction 11/7/08
lump excision 1/23/09 - left side - positive :o(
Ooph/tubes removed 2/3/08
Rads to start 2/16/08 - at least that's the plan......
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:19 PM
Bump!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Vera

Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:39 PM
Saw my radiation oncologist this week & told her I was itching a little. She said to use 1% Hydrocortisone Cream in addition to the Biafine cream. She also told me to do vinegar soaks up to 4 times day, because vinegar is amazing! The paperwork she gave me says 1TBL white vinegar to a pint of water. Soak a clean washcloth in the solution & apply for 15 minutes at a time. My itching isn't real bad yet, so haven't tried it but wanted to pass this info on.
Vera 54yrs - NE Ohio
married to a great guy
dx 5/27/08
IDC Stage II
Er+PR+Her2-
Tumor 2.3cm
2/9 nodes+
Vera

Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:26 PM
Wanted to bump this up for those having rads.....

Saw my rad oncologist today & she prescribed the Silver Sulfadiazine Cream to use at night in place of the Biafine. I'm a little pink plus my collar bone area looks irritated & I have some little bumps on my breast. I guess it almost looks like you've had too much sun.....go figure.  I'm still doing the vinegar soaks, using the natural aloe from the plant, the Biafine & now the silver.......I'm just finishing my 4th week so I still have 2 more to go. The fatigue is hitting too. I've lost another 2 lbs so a total of 4 lbs just since starting rads. Dr. said I'm probably not eating enough but I swear I am. I will be so glad when this is all over.   Hang in there everyone!
Vera 54yrs - NE Ohio
married to a great guy
dx 5/27/08
IDC Stage II
Er+PR+Her2-
Tumor 2.3cm
2/9 nodes+
Pat Patterson

• Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:26 AM
Judy is right!  They told me not to put any cream on at least three hours before the treatment!  They also gave me a prescription cream as toward the end my skin was pretty bad and starting to split around where the scar is located.  It worked great and healed pretty quickly after the last 7 treatments or the "boost".   I thought it would never end but like everything else, once it is over it didn't seem so bad after all.  Good Luck!
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 26 of 44, messages 251 to 260 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll