Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 28 of 44, messages 271 to 280 of 432
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re: Krista - Saturday, May 02, 2009 6:31 PM
Marianne,
I think the difference is the previous poster's wife had a mastectomy and you had a lumpectomy.  When you choose the lumpectomy it is almost a given that you will do rads.  Strange as it seems I was much more willing to do rads than to think of chemo.    My Grandmother had rads in the 40's so it was full on zap all of your organs kind and she lived to be 76 and died from lung cancer (no she wasn't a smoker), maybe due to the rads she had 35 years earlier.   I watched my mom go through chemo for lung cancer (yes, she smoked but had quit 20 years before she died) and for me I just don't know if I could do it, mostly due to the emotional sucking it all in when I watch my mom go through it.
We each need to choose our own way......and as long as we do our research and make the best decision for us then that is the right thing to do.

Hope and strength,
Julie S

Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Willietattoos

• Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Krista - Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:51 PM
Hello, This is my first post here, and I'm certainly not familiar with this site yet, but I thought I'd jump in, here.

I'm 54, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3. Lumpectomy, with clear margins 5/20. ER/PR highly pos. HER-2 pending, as I may be in a "study". I have my "planning" appt. with Radiation Oncologist tomorrow, and I expect to be on Tamoxifen following the Rads.

I've read thru this entire thread and I've taken some notes. THANKS to all of you who have made suggestions and shared your stories. I feel better prepared to face tomorrow, now.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re: Krista - Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:35 PM
Hi Willietatoo's,

Please check the welcome forum where you can say hi to everyone and get lots of replies.

I'm sorry to have to welcome you here and am also sorry for your dx, however it sounds like this was found so early you'll have minimal treatment and a great prognosis!

Please feel free to post anywhere, the ladies here are a caring supportive group and will welcome you.

Please keep us posted on whats next for you,especially the her2 test which I can advise you on being her2+ myself.

Thanks for joining us and I hope we can help support you though this.
If you have nay questions about the site or treatment feel free to send me a private message or e mail:)
(or post here)!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re: Krista - Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:46 PM
Hi and welcome! So glad you found us! We are always happy to answer questions, give support, listen, laugh, celebrate or what ever else you may need.  Feel free ask any questions you may have......everything is discussed here! 
Take care of yourself and know we are around 24/7.  Hope to "talk" to you again soon!

Hope and strength,
Julie S ;-)
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Willietattoos

• Total Posts : 22
Re: Krista - Monday, June 15, 2009 6:43 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm still learning my way around this board, and I'll try to post an "introduction" with more information, soon.
Cycling class this AM and my Rad "planning" this afternoon, with some errands thrown in there, too.

Well, I'm back.
I had my radiation planning scan, markings and tattoos today. Pretty uneventful, except those tiny little dots can hardly be called "tattoos", in my estimation! LOL

I have appt for simulation on Fri, and then I guess the full schedule may be revealed to me.
30 treatments, total, is what the Rad. Onc. told me, today.
<message edited by Willietattoos on Monday, June 15, 2009 8:37 PM>
kcar

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:29 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and thankful for the tips I've been reading.  Starting radiation for stage 1 DCIS (2 lumpectomies) in a few days.  Will have 30 treatments in total.  My end date is scheduled to be around August 5.  My husband and I have a 10th anniversary trip to St Lucia planned departing on August 20.  My rad oncologist thinks this will be plenty of time to recover - skin and energy!  We've been to this hotel before and it's a very active vacation - tennis, hiking, etc.  Any thoughts on this?  Advice?  I'm 41, B cup, no chemo, tan fairly easily, run 5 miles 3-5 times a week.  Thank you so much for your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.  Best to all.
susan448

• Total Posts : 258
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, July 03, 2009 8:47 AM
I was in the middle of my radiation last year at this time. One thing they did not tell me in advance, although they were very thorough in explaining the process, was that the radiation can go all the way through to your back. My shoulder blade area started getting sunburned and itchy and it kind of freaked me out that the rads went all the way through my body.
I started getting a few blisters at the very end of the treatment, and now a year later the radiated area remains tanned.
Of all the things we go through, the worst thing about rads is the daily travel to treatments.

27islucky

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 1985
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, July 06, 2009 5:29 PM
Today I had my 13th radiation treatment of the 28 total. The doctor says I am doing better than I think I am. Well, she should know. She gave me Aquaphor which is basically Vaseline.

This is my first post. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have read it several times and learned so much.

When I read what others have been through, I am embarrassed to say that my experience has been difficult. I used to think I was tough.
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, July 06, 2009 5:40 PM
Thank you for sharing something positive you received from this site.  THAT is what we try to do, and by being brave enough to post for the first time, you are helping others to someday do the same. 

Please don't be embarrassed about anything.  YOU ARE TOUGH!!  Each story is unique.  I hope you continue to read, and share.  We are here.

Hugs, and welcome aboard sister!!PalsPals

Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, July 06, 2009 7:52 PM
Thank you ladies,

K Carr,

You should be fine,I also went on vacation right after rads and had no problems:)    jusy remember you continue burning after rads are finished for about two weeks so cover up and use the sunscreen:)

27Islucky, thank you too, I also had very little problems with rads and found it a breeze after chemo. Thanks for posting and please let us know how you get on:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 28 of 44, messages 271 to 280 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll