Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 31 of 44, messages 301 to 310 of 432
smarssygirl76

• Total Posts : 482
  • Reward points : 2430
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:53 AM
Looks like it's been over a year since anyone posted on this thread. I meet with the radiology department next week to get my treatment plan and schedule. I've been reading through this thread but wouldn't mind hearing from some ladies that just finished RADS or are going through them now.
Army Mom

• Total Posts : 638
  • Reward points : 10290
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, October 26, 2009 9:39 AM
Hi Smarssy,

I just started Rads on Friday. For me the hardest part has been when they did the films and I had to have my arms over my head for an hour. My poor arm was killing me and I ended up moving it so they had to redo the last part of the films.
So far so good from just Friday. I will have my 2nd one today. My doc told me usually you do not feel much from it until after the 2nd or 3rd weeks.
good luck !!
Grace 

Lumpectomy June 18,2009
4 rounds T/C DONE !
33 rounds of rads DONE !!
1 yr of Herceptin - DONE  !!!
2 yrs Tamoxafen/ taken off due to elevated liver enzymes.
oophorectomy 05/2012

March 27,2015 DX right breast
Lumpectomy April 16th 2015
To start chemo soon

54 years young  :)
Mother of 2 sons in US Army
Wife of wonderful husband
and of course I am now.
KOMAN STRONG  :)

Sowhynot

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:23 PM
I'm brand new to the forums.  I was diagnosed with DCIS in August.  Had a lumpectomy mid-September, started my first radiation treatment today.  Could it be possible that already my underwire bras hurt?  Or is it psychsomatic? 

Anyone have a good recommendation on cotton non-underwire bras?  The radiation tech during my simulation said that I shouldn't have any problem with the underwires the first couple of weeks.  I'm thinking that's not the case.  I'm a 34D so sometimes finding anything (other than sports bras) with support is an issue.
Army Mom

• Total Posts : 638
  • Reward points : 10290
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:03 AM
Hiya Sowhynot,

I just started my rads last Friday. No issues yet and sitll wearing my underwire. After my surgery I purchased some bras from JC Penny and they are very comfortable. They are the "JCP" brand (I can not remember what they call them) but are very soft and they have the micro fibor so it is even more comfortable.
I will probably take advise from someone on this list and do the soft mens tank under a bra if I start getting a burn.
Good luck.
Grace 

Lumpectomy June 18,2009
4 rounds T/C DONE !
33 rounds of rads DONE !!
1 yr of Herceptin - DONE  !!!
2 yrs Tamoxafen/ taken off due to elevated liver enzymes.
oophorectomy 05/2012

March 27,2015 DX right breast
Lumpectomy April 16th 2015
To start chemo soon

54 years young  :)
Mother of 2 sons in US Army
Wife of wonderful husband
and of course I am now.
KOMAN STRONG  :)

JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:02 PM
Hi ladies,
I am 2 years out from finishing my rads, Yea!!!!  But I discovered that not wearing a bra while at home is so nice, with a cotton tee so your skin can breath.  I used tons of 100% aloe (but check with your onco)  and I didn't get but a little red.  Do be gentle with your skin that is getting the zap...don't use harsh soaps either in your shower or to wash your shirts (in fact do a double rinse on your shirts and bras)
I hope you all do well!!!

Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Sowhynot

• Total Posts : 4
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.  I did stop by Penneys last night and picked up 2 Bali cotton bras.  My problem is also PMS - so my breasts are sore already.  I think (again I may be making this up) that the radiation may be making things a bit worse in that department.  Oh well.  2 down, 31 to go!
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:04 PM
If you can get away with it its best not to wear a bra at all during radiation defianty not an underwired one but maybe go for a supportive camisile vest?
I found this far more comfortable and am sure it helped minimize any soreness.
I'd also agree the natural aloe vera is a must!
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:05 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
27islucky

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 1985
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, November 01, 2009 10:03 AM
I am 3 months and a few days since my last radiation treatment following lumpectomy. I am still sore, particularly around the nipple and in the area of the SLN incision. The itching is deep and frequent on the side of the breast toward center. I have stabbing pains and deep aching. When will this stop? My surgeon told me 6 months from surgery, but that will be in less than 2 weeks and it is hard to believe it will go away by then.
I can't wear a bra for more than an hour without discomfort. I have trouble wearing a shelf bra T shirt for more than a half day. Most comfortable is a wifebeater T. This is not a good look for a woman my age.
Maybe I am just whining. Most women here have much worse cancer and treatment than I did and I am thankful mine was so early and small.
I would like to know if other people's recovery took so long.
27islucky
DCIS, LCIS
Surgery 5/13/09 lumpectomy
Sentinel Node biopsy
margins 1.8 cm
Radiation started 6/18/09
Radiation completed 7-28-09
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, November 02, 2009 11:57 AM
Hi 27!
It has been more (by just a bit) than 2 years since I have finished rads and had surgery and my breast and underarm still gets sore and achey sometimes......don't laugh but especially when the weather is damp and cool.....LOL.  My own weather notification when the weather is going to change!  My onco had me do a ultrasound last spring because of my complaints.....showed nothing but the saroma.  Sigh, we think surgery, rads and we are done, not so. Our bodies just keep on reminding us that we had bc.
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
lymphdema5

• Total Posts : 19
Re: RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:14 PM
yes i know this feeling! here is the you are not whining your cancer is just as important and you own it, at the end of the day you and you alone have your cancer, I had double D's and its not a good look with no bra, but normal bras are not good during recovery and for me not ever, my lumpectomy turned into partial mastecomy radiation was worse for me then chemotherapy, one thing is all shirts need to be really soft, even thou they took half of my breast i never knew they had bras under mastecomy names that are made especially for this. I cut off alot of t-shirts glad you caught your's early have a good day  
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 31 of 44, messages 301 to 310 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll