Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 34 of 44, messages 331 to 340 of 432
jbdog

• Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 385
Re: Krista - Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:19 PM
Hi all -
I just started my rads, 3 down, 30 more to go. I was given Aquafor to use, really goopy, at least 2x day.  Also, a list of other suggeseted lotions and cream (Neutrogena, Eucerin are some brands) as well as Vit E and aloe.   Had to get 2 extra tatoos (I now have 6!) not sure why the last 2 on my first day of treatment.  Right under the nipple too - owie. You just have to laugh, right? 
Farla - 36C too, shelf bras aren't the same! :)
It's difficult to get to the end of this string, but good to read all the past experiences.  Should we start a fresh string?
Good to hear from everyone as we go thru this!
11/6/09 Dx IDC
11/24/09 Lumpectomy, Sentinel node
Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.6 cm, ER/PR+, Her-, Node neg (2) 
Oncotype 16, 12/22/09
Rads to start Jan 20 2010 -
Rads DONE March 5 2010!
Tamox 5 yrs, start March 24, 2010
BRCA neg
age 44 at dx
So WI
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re: Krista - Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:40 PM
Hey everyone - I had to take a break  - too many kids home from school for a while.  I had my simulation last week, and 6 tatoos.  So of course stupid me I kept calling it stimulation!!!  Oh well, one can hope....  One of my tats was right under my arm - and it was numb, thankfully!  I got my time changed to 9:45, I was thinking I wouldn't put on deodorant until after the treatment - right? and wash it off every morning before I go for the rads.  Or are we supposed to use cornstarch only? 
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
KathyN

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 345
Re:My experience with radiation therapy - Saturday, February 13, 2010 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info.  It really helps to get info from someone going through the same treatment.  I start my Radiation Treatment Feb. 23. 

Thanks again.
barbaracuevas

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Krista - Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:48 PM
I have been diagnosed with DCIS and they are recommending lumpectomy and readiation.  I would rather get a mascectomy - who has faced a similar situation and what did you decide?

Barbara C
pjab44

• Total Posts : 8
Re: Krista - Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:16 AM
Hi Barbara, I was diagnosed with DCIS on January 27 this year.  When my surgeon told me my options, I was like a mastectomy????  You are telling me you got ALL the cancer and now you want me to consider a mastectomy.  I opted for a lumpectomy, they went back in to take wider margins, and now I am starting my 3rd week of radiation.  I believe this is a personal choice, very personal choice.  Me personally, if the cancer comes back, I will then get a mastectomy.  But from all my research ( I am a teacher, so I research, and then research some more), lumpectomy, radiation and possibly tamoxifen is very successful for DCIS.  Mine was estrogen receptor positive, so I will be able to take tamoxifen, if I decide too.

My advice is listen to your gut.....what is it telling you?  That is what I finally did, I had everyone telling me what THEY would do, then I just found a quiet spot in my head an decided what I wanted to do. 

Good luck Barbara and keep in touch!

Patsy
1/27/10 diagnosed DCIS
1/28/10 2nd lumpectomy - clear margins!!!
Radiation - completed April 23, 2010!!
Tamoxifen - unsure - the jury is still out!!
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re: Krista - Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:17 AM
Barbara,  Repost your question in "Sound Off", then more of us will see it and have the opportunity to respond.

As for me, I had to have a mastectomy, so I can't answer your question.  Good luck.

Hug
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

angboy

• Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points : 3235
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:57 AM
My recently learned tip: If you have to have any kind of surgery, or anything done, be mindful of putting something adhesive on the radiated skin area. I had EKG pads on my breast for a surgery, and it tore of the skin underneath and is causing some problems for me. I didn't think about it and obviously neither did the medical staff who put them on my poor breast after I was knocked out from general anesthesia. All of the others came off OK, but the one that was on my breast is proving to have been a big mistake!
Angela
Found lump 12/23/09
Mammo & ultrasound 12/24/09
Biopsy 12/28/09
12/29/09: Diagnosis of IDC, Stage I, Grade I
Lumpectomy 1/19/10
Radiation (33 treatments) started 3/15/10
artlab

• Total Posts : 508
  • Reward points : 7330
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:00 PM
Farla...regarding deod....someone told me about "Toms of Maine" product line...I asked the doctor/nurses first and they said "yes".  I found it on the bottom shelf in Walmart, near the other deod.  It's an "all natural"-type product with known of the things they don't want on us!  My appt is 4PM, so I use it in the morning.  (I used this company's mouthwash when I was going through chemo).

I'm finished with Day# 13 and no skin issues yet.  The nurse told me to get in the habit of putting cream on 2x/day several weeks BEFORE treatment--just to get into the habit.  I've been using Eucerin "calming lotion" that I rec'd at the Look Good/Feel Better program.  We also received Lubriderm "Intense Skin Repair"...the container says, "body lotion with itch relief".

The doc. told me I could use OTC anti-itch cream (hydrocortisone) if I experienced itching.
Karen
New Jersey
DX 8/09 at age 51 
Tumor: 2 cm/Grade 3 
Lumpectomy/sentinal lymph node biopsy: 9/10/09
Clean margins/lymph nodes clear
IDC
Triple Negative
Stage 1
Chemo A/C started 10/15/09 4 rounds--DONE!! 
Taxol 12 rounds--DONE!!!
Radiation 3/2410-mid-May--DONE!! 
angboy

• Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points : 3235
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, April 12, 2010 12:33 AM
Regarding lotion to use- my rad onc gave me "Natural Care Gel" to try, which seems to be like aqua-phor and the nurse equated it to that. But I'd read on here about the "Jeans Cream" and had emailed them to ask for samples. They wouldn't send me samples directly but did send my doc some and I have to say I like it better. My rad onc said it's basically the same and has what they want anything I use to have- no alcohol and some other characteristics/ingredients that I can't remember, but he was curious to see if I liked it better than what they gave me. To me, it feels more like a lotion and less goopy and gel like, which I prefer. So I'd suggest that if anyone wants to try something different, google Jeans Cream and ask them to send some samples to your doc. They sent a bunch to mine, and even re-sent it when I gave the wrong info the first time and basically had them send it to the oncologist and not the rad-onc. So I was also very impressed with their customer service.
Angela
Found lump 12/23/09
Mammo & ultrasound 12/24/09
Biopsy 12/28/09
12/29/09: Diagnosis of IDC, Stage I, Grade I
Lumpectomy 1/19/10
Radiation (33 treatments) started 3/15/10
tinavanita

• Total Posts : 3
Re: Krista - Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:47 PM
will i just like 12 more on my Radiation an i will be done and it all looks good right now.  thank you all 
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 34 of 44, messages 331 to 340 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll