Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 35 of 44, messages 341 to 350 of 432
tinavanita

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Krista - Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:47 PM
will i just like 12 more on my Radiation an i will be done and it all looks good right now.  thank you all 
Midge

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 100
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:36 PM
It seems that how to find a good lotion is on a lot of our minds when going through radiation.  After trying to use Aquaphor, that I found very greasy and uncomfortable ( I sure didn't have time to wash more grease stained clothes ) I switched to Recovery Cream.  It was terrific, not greasy and soothed the itching that I got toward the end of treatment.  You can get it online at Recovery Cream.com.  They probably would send a sample, too.
technopaws

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 215
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:02 AM
I too had  problems with the marker and paint coming off on my clothes. I also had too much irritation.  My solution?  I bought a pack of men's sleeveless t-shirts.  I put the t-shirt on and then pin a light foam breast form to the t-shirt.  Because the t-shirts are white, I can bleach them to get out the marker and pen.  The therapists thought it was an amusing solution.  Hey it worked.

When I could finally take the marks off my skin, I used a cotton ball with lotion on it.

Good luck!
 Becki
Diagnosis 2.25.10
Mast Rt Brst 7.20.10
Unity is strength, Knowledge is power, and Attitude is EVERYTHING!
lilypool

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re: Krista - Friday, October 29, 2010 11:59 AM
Radiation is a local, targeted therapy designed to kill cancer cells that may still exist after surgery. Radiation is given to the area where the cancer started or to another part of the body to which the cancer spread.The actual delivery of radiation treatment is painless. But the radiation itself may cause some discomfort over time. Most radiation side effects are temporary. Radiation therapy can significantly decrease the risk of cancer returning after surgery.
lilypool

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re: Krista - Friday, October 29, 2010 12:11 PM
Radiation therapy is usually given after a lumpectomy and sometimes after a mastectomy to reduce your risk of local recurrence of cancer in that breg. The treatments generally start several weeks after the surgery so the area has some time to heal. If your doctor recommends chemotherapy along with radiation therapy, this might be given before you start radiation therapy.
<message edited by lilypool on Friday, October 29, 2010 12:12 PM>
Gramabec

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 355
Re: Krista - Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:38 AM
I am on day 11 of a 35 rad treatment.  I am large breasted and have very red sore skin.  I am currently using biafine. My skin is very sensative all over my body and has not stopped stinging where the incisions are. I have to waer at least a sports bra and even that doesn't give enough support to help with movement.  Thanks for this thread as it has been very informative. I have lots of things to ask on onc and doc.
SherylKMM

• Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 9825
Re: Krista - Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:50 PM
Hi Gramabec,
I too am large and I'm on treatment number 8.  My incision under my arm stings a bit and I'm red underneath the fold of my breast where the other incision is. But, I have found great relief by doing the following:

In the morning after a shower at 6:30 am, and after standing for a couple of minutes in front of a small fan, I smear generous amounts of Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Ointment (not lotion). Then I dust under my arm and breast with plain cornstarch using a powder puff pad.  I do wear a bra--with an underwire--but I place a large Johnson's gauze pad under my breast between the bra and my skin--all the way onto my abdomen so that the bra doesn't touch my skin at all underneath. 
Then I go to work.  Then I have radiation at 1:30.  In the dressing room immediately afterwards, I smear 100% aloe vera (I found the Fruit of the Earth brand at Ulta (a store)) all over the whole area. I fan it a bit with a piece of paper and dust with cornstarch again.
Then I go back to work, pick up my 10-year old from school, and then at night after another shower, I do the morning routine again with the Lubriderm and cornstarch.
So, far, so good for the most part.
By the way, I am really fair and I usually burn after only 15 minutes in the sun. 
I have developed a nasty lung cough after 4 radiation treatments, though, but that isn't a skin thing obviously.
Hang in there!  There are lots of us women doing this with you!
Hugs!
Sheryl

Diagnosed:  August 2010 through routine mammo 
1 cm, 5 lymph nodes removed
E+, P+, Her2-
Onco-type score 17
48 years old, single mother of a 10-year old
No family history; no risk factors
Yes, I'm shocked

Bigger shock: this tiny tumor metastasized in Fall 2015 while on aramidex to advanced stage IV in liver, pleural linings of both lungs, spleen, and ascites in abdomen.  
SherylKMM

• Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 9825
Re: Krista - Friday, December 03, 2010 7:28 PM
Well--I'm really burnt now!!  :-/
I've done about 20 treatments so far.
How are you doing with it?
Sheryl
Diagnosed:  August 2010 through routine mammo 
1 cm, 5 lymph nodes removed
E+, P+, Her2-
Onco-type score 17
48 years old, single mother of a 10-year old
No family history; no risk factors
Yes, I'm shocked

Bigger shock: this tiny tumor metastasized in Fall 2015 while on aramidex to advanced stage IV in liver, pleural linings of both lungs, spleen, and ascites in abdomen.  
canjuncutie

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:55 AM
I was in pain before the start i couldnt hold my left arm the way they want me to . Then i got told the rads onco is not my doc but yet i went thru a cat scan got marked. the ripped scar tissue saw stars. got told you can take it i cant. I dare ask question got tolsd How dare I ask. I told them about burn issues i was given no creams or told of how to care for my skin.it was to start mon. the tech oh we are use to getting yelled at. i could even hold my arm to get the scan done with out pain. i drove home one handed.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, January 24, 2011 7:09 PM
I'm sorry you had this experience which is very unusual and it sounds like you need to get a new rad onc!!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 35 of 44, messages 341 to 350 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll