Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..41424344 > | Showing page 42 of 44, messages 411 to 420 of 432
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, September 29, 2014 5:00 PM
Penny, if you're still feeling okay its likely you'll be fine and I think most of the fatigue we experience is from chemo rather than the rads so good luck with the rest of your treatments.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
slinguser

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 4085
Re: Krista - Monday, October 06, 2014 11:35 AM
For me, radiation was more frightening in concept than in actual experience, although by the end of treatment I did experience sudden and dramatic fatigue. I am large-breasted and my lumpectomy was on the underside of my breast making me a serious candidate for some very raw and sore areas. I was instructed to put the colorless, odorless gels (they gave me samples) on the top of my breast and cornstarch beneath. Assuming that the gel would have some healing properties and the cornstarch would simply be a drying aid, I ignored their instructions by eliminating the cornstarch and putting the gel over my entire breast. I lay on my back exposing the underside of my breast until the gel was completely absorbed - this only took seconds. Once the area was completely dry I put on a BreastComfort Single sling and wore it as much as I could, especially at night as I slept. My skin became slightly reddened, but I had no burning or rawness whatsoever. Granted, skin types and reactions vary, but I believe the sling played a very important role in protecting my skin. I used it as long as necessary. Since then I have become a believer and I wear their double sling every night. No rashes; no problems; a miracle!
ckr1956

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 75
Re: Krista - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:19 PM
Hi, anyone out there? the posts on this forum are so old, I don't know if anyone will see this or not... I will be starting radiation next week. I was diagnosed Nov 11, had bilateral mastectomies with implants on December 10. Was initially told no chemo or radiation but the tumor was larger than expected and so now looking at 5 days a week for 6 weeks. I'm terrified of the skin issues as well as what this means for the implants. I am still pretty tender from the surgery, especially under my breasts. Has anyone gone through similar? How about anyone with long-term results?
Peggy70

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 655
Re: Krista - Sunday, March 22, 2015 4:58 PM
Are there different amounts of rads?   Just curious if i would get a smaller dose for dcis than someone with ibc?
Tricia Keegan

Re: Krista - Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:24 PM
I'm not sure Peggy but don't think so, I think with dcis you'd only have it directed to one area, as I had invasive with positive nodes I had it in three area's so think that's the difference.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re: Krista - Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:41 PM
This response is for ckr1956***********I can only speak for myself, but 10 years ago I was diagnosed and underwent a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. During and directly after radiation I had no problems i.e. no fatigue, no redness. Nothing! But as time passed, my affected breast became smaller than the the other and the skin looked like it had been badly burned (which it had been). The tissue atrophied and as a result my breasts are very lopsided and the treated one itches a lot.**********I have often wondered what would have happened if I had opted for implants or some sort of surgery to make things more symmetrical. In other words, what would it look like today if one breast (or both) were altered and then the skin shrinkage and tissue atrophy still took place? Would I still have been a lopsided candidate for yet more corrective surgery?**********I would like a response from any one who has experienced any of this. I just wonder if I would have only set myself up for continuous surgery. Thank you.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
Peggy70

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 655
Re: Krista - Friday, May 15, 2015 9:42 AM
I just finished four weeks of radiation.  I thought my skin was doing good.  Now i am two days out and it is worse than it ever was during the treatments!   I use miaderm, aloe, and aquafor but none seem to be helping that much as it is getting redder by the day.   How long will it continue to get worse and when does it start healing up?  
Peggy
March 1, 2015 DCIS Stage 0 Grade 3
Partial March 11, 2015 right breast
Reexcision March 18, 2015
Radiation four weeks

Tricia Keegan

Re: Krista - Friday, May 15, 2015 1:10 PM
Hi Peggy,

The skin continues to burn for up to ten days approx after rads are finished so be sure to continue using your creams.
Carepage- survivortricia
LanyE

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 230
Re: Krista - Thursday, July 09, 2015 4:55 PM
Has anyone quit treatment early?  I would like to miss my last two treatments (28total prescribed ) so that I can be with my daughter for the inducement of her first child. She is alone in another state and I really want to be with her.  Will it be really a bad idea?
Tricia Keegan

Re: Krista - Thursday, July 09, 2015 6:13 PM
Lanye, talk to your rad Onc as he may be able to re arrange the last two treatments or at least advise if its okay to skip them. I think I would too under the circumstances unless your daughters Dr can delay the birth??
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..41424344 > | Showing page 42 of 44, messages 411 to 420 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll