Radiation Tips and Experiences

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 19 of 22, messages 361 to 380 of 432
jlg373
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 875
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:04 PM
God Bless You!  I just had quadectomy and a sentinel lymph node biopsy on 18 May 2011.  This was to remove invasive lobular carcinoma and I will meet with my surgeon 9 June to discuss my treatment program after pathology gets results to us.  Radiation will be the first step and then I will go on from there.  This is a step by step journey and I am in San Antonio Texas & my treatment facility is Brooke Army Medical Center.
<message edited by jlg373 on Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:23 PM>

Brandy
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 2055
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:18 AM
I have already had surgery (lumpectomy), and completed chemo 3 weeks ago and I just started radiation treatment last week so I am only getting started.  I have 18 more to go with 5 boost included.  I have treatments daily and I just noticed next to my nibble, it looks like I have a blister and it is sore.  Is this normal.  I wont see the radiation doctor until next week, but I do see my oncologist on Tuesday when I have triple herceptin treatment, and I dont see my surgeon for follow-up until August 10.  I plan on showing each one but wondered if this is normal for radiation. 

Lumpectomy 03/01/2011
er/pr negative
Her2 positive
stage 1-clear margins
breast cancer

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:20 PM
Hi Brandy,

I'd mention this to your onc or someone at the rads clinic, it may be a burn from the rads so they should be able to give you something for it before it worsens!:)

As you're her2+ check out www.her2support.org
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

jlg373
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:53 PM
HI Brandy,

I am on my last week of rads and I have a red round spot under the skin to the right of nipple about the size of a nickel.  The rad techs that give me treatment thought I was allergic to the bandaids they applied to keep the marks in place but this is under the skin.  They stopped using the bandaids and it is still there and I have a rash between my breasts from treatment.
I will talk with my Radiation Oncologist on Wednesday about my spot and I am so glad I only have 7 more days left! 

As far as a blister you better get a cream or aloe to apply to it and ask your doctor or nurse for advice.  They have healing creams for all of these problems and my rash was itching so i received one that worked for that called:  Regenecare HA Lidocaine HCI 2% or RadiaPlex 4 ML both of these work well.

Good luck and as they say:  I feel your pain :) Keep us posted for sure!

Jan G.

<message edited by jlg373 on Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:02 PM>
Diag 4/28/11 ILC Multifocal Stage 11A Grade 2
 Er/Pr + Her 2 -  Ultrasound Biopsy
Sterotatic Biopsy on lft brst clear
Bilateral Axillary node biopsies all clear readings
Bilateral Brst MRI/w dye/lft clear readings 
Quadectomy  &  SNB 5/18/11- Clear Margins
21 days Canadian Radiation therapy starting in July 
Hormone Therapy/ Arimidex

Brandy
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:03 PM
I saw my rad oncologist, my chemo doctor and my surgeon in the last two days concerning the blister I have on my nipple.  Good news it is not a return of cancer.  What I found out from my surgeon is when I had chemo, the tissue had not healed completely and once I started the chemo it destroyed the tissue where I had surgery and then the radiation brought the blister up.  My surgeon lanced it and took the tissue out leaving a small whole.  After all three doctors discussed this today, it would be better if I stop the radiation in order for this to heal properly.  I will see each doctor next Friday to see when I can start radiation again.   Thanks to all of you for the replies.
Brandy

Tricia Keegan
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:13 PM
Brandy- sorry you had to stop the rads but glad there's no cancer and you got some answers and hope it heals very soon:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Brandy
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, August 05, 2011 5:34 PM
I am hopeful that after I see my rad oconolgist and surgeon later next week, i will start the rad treatments again the following week

thanks for your reply

jlg373
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, August 06, 2011 12:21 PM
Oh glad they found an answer for you Brandy! I sure hope the rest goes smoothly for you.

My doctor says mine is from the bandaids that were originally put on the marks at the beginning.  I have only two more days to go and then I can officially heal and let my breast get some needed rest!

I am so ready for this to be over :) Keep us posted and we will pray for you as well.

God Bless,

Janice G.

<message edited by jlg373 on Saturday, August 06, 2011 12:27 PM>
Diag 4/28/11 ILC Multifocal Stage 11A Grade 2
 Er/Pr + Her 2 -  Ultrasound Biopsy
Sterotatic Biopsy on lft brst clear
Bilateral Axillary node biopsies all clear readings
Bilateral Brst MRI/w dye/lft clear readings 
Quadectomy  &  SNB 5/18/11- Clear Margins
21 days Canadian Radiation therapy starting in July 
Hormone Therapy/ Arimidex

SarahFoodforBC
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 5260
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:13 AM
Hi everyone,

just wanted to mention that turmeric and flaxseed have been found to reduce some radiation side effects without reducing the effectiveness of the treatment. Below are supporting studies (Google if you are interested):

"Curcumin: A treatment for breast cancer and radiation-induced dermatitis"

"Curcumin with Radiation Inhibits Survival of Human Breast Cancer and Murine Mammary Tumors"

"Dietary Flaxseed Prevents Fibrosis And Oxidative Lung Damage And Improves Mouse Survival In Experimental Thoracic Radiation Injury"

Hope this is helpful,

Sarah

Brandy
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, September 26, 2011 11:17 AM
I finally completed by radiation treatments 12 days ago and after the 6 boosts my left boob felt like someone poured boiling water over it which made it hard for my clothes to touch.  If I ever wanted a suntan, I have such a pretty one.   Now I get these sharp little pains with no rhime or reason, just happens out of the blue.  Has anyone else experienced these pains and is it a side affect.  

lumpectomy stage 1
1cm
HER+
chemo and radiation 
herceptin every 3 weeks until 3/2012

melliel
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points : 2510
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, September 26, 2011 6:33 PM
Brandy:  I finished my rads on Aug 25 and had a bad burn, too.  A lot of peeling and I tried a lot of different things on it.  I also had pains I called pain spasms that felt like electricity shooting thru my breast at unexpected intervals.   They would be so sudden & sharp that it was hard not to cry out. My nurse at the rad center said that was normal pain from the rads and from scar tissue and that it would get better in 3-4 weeks.  Most of that has cleared up in the past 4 weeks.  I still have some pain but more like what you expect when you are still healing from surgery. Good luck.
<message edited by melliel on Monday, September 26, 2011 6:37 PM>
Diagnosed: 1/27/2011:  Invasive Carcinoma of left breast er/pr +, her2 - 
Surgery 2/7/2011:  Lumpectomy. Margins negative, 2 Lymph nodes negative.
1.8 cm  stage 1A
Oncotype Dx  34 
Chemo:Taxotere & Cytoxan - done
Rads - 30 treatments - done!
Arimidex for 5 years
Metformin/placebo trial - 5 years

God never closes one door without opening another but sometimes it is hell in the hallway!

cindyanne56
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4490
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:32 PM
just a quick update..I'm on my 3rd rad today..I have 6 weeks total, 5 days a week. I had a mastectomy, so it's just flat skin where rads go, no nipple or else..should I go ahead and ask for cream, etc. for this area before it gets to the burn point? I have Aquaphor here at home, but wondered if I smeared that on before rads, if it would mess it up? When would be a good time to use this or aloe so it won't interfere with the rad? The techs put a warm wet towel on the site before the rad, anyone heard of this? Tech said it helps to prevent burning and the treatment can still get through..And what is a booster? Any info on this would be helpful...

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas
Keep on keeping on!!

Cindy A
Cindy Ankney Chatsworth,GA

JoGrif316
  • Total Posts : 2263
  • Reward points : 10615
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:23 AM
Cindy, Don't put anything on before a treatment unless the doctor tells you it's ok. They should be giving you all the necessary instructions. When I had my rads 6 years ago, the booster was the last week of sessions--it was more targeted to just the area where the cancer was.****I haven't heard of the warm, wet towel, but since I burned very badly, it sounds like a good idea...hopefully, they're learning new things all the time. Hang in there and take it a day at a time. Joyce
Portland, OR. DX: 6/09/05 IDC lb Age: 54 PR/HR+ Her- Lumpectomy/SNB 6/22/05 Nodes Neg! 33X Rads Comp 10/12/05 Tamoxifen: '05-'10 PT for lymphydema in breast '06 BRCA Neg 7/08! Tamoxifen induced uterine issues '07-'11 Total LA hysterectomy 12/11

Kimberly Oliver
  • Total Posts : 136
  • Reward points : 6195
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:40 PM
Happy Holidays to my SGK friends!
I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Dx June 30, 2009
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma - left, ER- PR 9%+ HER2+
7/9/09-lumpectomy, 4/15 nodes pos
7/23/09- Reincision for clear margins 
Chemo TCH DONE 12/09  
Rads DONE 2/10
Herceptin DONE 8/10
Start Tamox 9/10
Blog: http://lunatechchick.blogspot.com

Tricia Keegan
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:48 PM
Cindy you can only apply creams or aloe after treatment but never before as some have tiny metal particles that interfere with the machines!!!

Kim great to see you posting here again and Merry Christmas!!!
Carepage- survivortricia

SKalsta
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:26 AM
Hi All, I know that it has been awhile since my last posting. Just trying to get back on my feet again and also the holidays and extra company took me away from things. I am finally doing better. Seems the further away from chemo I get, the better I am feeling. I had to cut my chemo treatment from the scheduled 8 treatments to only 5 because it was making me very toxic. I ended up with grade 3 neuropathy that has not gone away in almost 2 months along with other issues. I started radiation and have gone thru 3 of 33 treatments. So far, so good. Hoping I will not have the side effects that I had from surgery and then from chemo. My rib cage is sore to touch right now, but that could be from the other issues that I have. I expect the sunburn, I expect the fatigue and even the shooting pains. Hopefully I will not have any other side effects. Hoping that everyone is doing fine and are continuing with any New Years resolutions.
Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues

marianwolf
  • Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:06 AM
Hello all.  Looking for some input here re radiation.  After my "run through" on Friday the nurse had her session with me and told me that Dr. Philips "doesn't really like creams and lotions other than Aloe Vera gel and a little cortizone cream".  I didn't really absorb the statement until later when I though, "Gee, this is MY breast and there are wonderful products out there that will take the pain out of this.  Who the heck is HE to not like creams...etc!

Am I out of line?  I do plan on discussing this with him on Monday to at least set the ground rules that this is my body he's treating and that I want to be an active rather than passive participant.

Input?  Your experience?

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/

SusieT
  • Total Posts : 252
  • Reward points : 2135
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:55 PM
Hi Marian, my doc didn't want me using even aloe Vera. The reason they gave was because some creams have small particles that could make the radiation burn. Also, the thought is that aloe is an antioxidant and every other day they treated my skin. All my docs are against antioxidants during treatment cuz they might make the cancer stronger.

When my skin did start to breakdown they gave me prescription products to use on the burns. So I just followed their advice cuz I figure if I want to beat this permanently, they have more experience and I just chose to trust them. You know?

(Hugs)hope you finish quickly!
Bx Confirm Invasive Breast Cancer 5.13.11
ER+ PR+ HER2- on 6.10.11
KI-67 22% 6.13.11
Chemo x 4 - Adriamycin/Cytoxin, 
Chemo x 4 - Taxol 
Bilateral Mast with Expanders 11.1.11 - 12/31 nodes with active cancer. Grade 3 tumor. Stage IIIC. Radiation finished 1.25.12  Femara Generic started 11.24.11

I can do all things through God who strengthens me. Phil 4:13

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:34 AM
Marian - my radiation doc prescribed X-Clair cream which I used every day the entire time.  At the end she also prescribed a silver nitrate cream which helped me heal very quickly.

Hug
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Vjohnson
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 3185
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:54 PM
Hi Everyone on Radiation.  Today was my 14th and have 6 more to go.  My breast is tender and the the nipple sore but I have no redness yet.  I have had some stomach problems since starting and my radiation team tells me it is not from the treatments.  Since I feel a little dizzy after each treatment and my stomach problems tend to hit me when I get home I figure this is the cause but it's not bad enough to really worry me.

After the chemo I figure this radiation is a breeze and just another small stumbling block before I can move on with my life. I started talking to the other ladies in the waiting room and it has been helpful also to hear their stories and feel that we are all in this together in some small way.

Take care.

Vicki

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 19 of 22, messages 361 to 380 of 432