Radiation Tips and Experiences

Change Page: << < ..2122 | Showing page 22 of 22, messages 421 to 432 of 432
KME
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, May 05, 2016 5:37 AM
Hi.  I've never participated in a blog or message board so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right places.  Anyway, my question.... Can anyone speak about their experience with brachytherapy?  Still waiting on some tests before they confirm I'm a good candidate, but all looks good so far.  Thanks.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, May 05, 2016 7:43 AM
Karen I haven't had this type of rads before, but I'm sure a few people here have and if you scroll back through this thread I'm sure you'll see a mention of it from someone.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Terrie61
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 155
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:27 AM
I am new to this site and have read several of the messages in this very long thread. I am currently at my 18th treatment today. I will have a total of 36 treatments. My main question today is if treatment is delayed for a week due to the skin breakdown - when you re-start does it not just breakdown all over again. I don't want to have to take the break and restart. I am using Raw Aloe several times a day. Working full time has made it difficult because Not wearing a bro for me is NOT an option - which of course irritates the area under the breast that is of concern. I do have the Aquaphor and was advised at yesterday's treatment and PA visit - that I should NOT use that for now.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:54 PM
Terri I don't think they'd delay treatments for a week if at all possible but if they did it would usually give the skin time to heal and recover. I suppose it depends on how bad it is as to whether it would break down again so can't really help with your question. Do remember to not use anything on your skin before a treatment though and good luck with the rest of them.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:51 PM
I had that happen with me actually. There was concern that they might need to let me "rest" but after examining me, my radiation oncologist decided give the tissue a "rest" by switching the weeks on me. For example, the radiation for week six was less... intense than that of week four so they switched them around and carefully monitored me. In my case, the modified schedule gave me enough "rest" and there was no delay in my schedule.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Terrie61
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:46 AM
At yesterday's treatment they decided not to hault the treatments at this time and will re-evaluate on Monday. But now the skin has split. They did tell me that even if they considered switching the treatments up that it would not help at this point due to the area being right under the scar and since I have to have the cup for treatment it will be unavoidable. So the temporary solution is to do a 3 time a day 30 minute "Soak" then corn starch - no more Aloe or Aquaphor on the under side only on the upper. And the worst part of all for me "No Bra" doctors orders. This is an extremely difficult task - but today is my first day Bra-less (at work)but I don't want it to get worse - so I will follow the orders to a T. Layers in the summer with this heat wave we are having could prove interesting. My AC is all the way up in my office. Just gotta laugh about it at this point. It will be fine - positive attitude!

Terrie61
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, July 24, 2016 6:45 PM
Okay another question - I hope that somebody can answer for me. Is it normal to end up with an very large (I mean bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a baseball) hard are spot during radiation. I have had so many unexpected things happen already I just don't know if this is to be expected or not.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, July 25, 2016 2:11 PM
Yes it can be Terri, usually it's scarring from surgery and the rads which you can have for many years but ask them at the hospital to be certain but I had this happen and know others who did too.
Carepage- survivortricia

Terrie61
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:18 AM
I did ask them yesterday and they advised it is normal. But they want to keep an eye on it since it is also very tender at this time. They did advise some would go away but that there may always be a hard lump there. Thanks for the response

Tricia Keegan
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:15 PM
They did the same with me and others Terri, good luck with the rest of the treatment and if you're on Facebook look me up there or for the closed group of Komen breast cancer support page and I can add you as it's far busier than here so you'll get lots more replies.
Carepage- survivortricia

slinguser
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 4085
Re: Krista - Friday, October 21, 2016 2:48 PM
When I began radiation, my oncology nurse recommended that I purchase a single sling, new to the market, to protect the underside of my breast.  It was fantastic! I am still devoted to my sling, but I find that my friends who have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer do not have knowledge of this device.  It is worth sharing what I know.

The sling buffers the harmful effects of constriction on radiation damaged skin and allow sthe area in question to breathe.  With its unique structure, the sling allows the skin to breathe as it is lifted off of the ribcage while wicking away perspiration preventing sore skin-to-skin contact.  This deflects some of the tissue damage and, when the damage does occur, it allows it to heal more quickly. 

By the time my radiation was completed, my skin was a bit pinker than it had been previously, but it was neither sore nor broken.  I realize that skin types vary, but I know the sling made a huge difference in my comfort.  Now that my radiation is in the past, I still wear the sling to sleep every night to prevent perspiration from accumulating beneath my breast.  Now I no longer even have a mild rash to contend with!

Snowymom
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re: Krista - Monday, November 28, 2016 5:43 PM
Thank you for the information about the sling. I just joined and am about to undergo radiation; I will talk with the radiologist about getting one. Hope you continue to be well! Snowymom

Change Page: << < ..2122 | Showing page 22 of 22, messages 421 to 432 of 432