Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New Book..
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 21 to 30 of 42
JoGrif316

• Total Posts : 2263
  • Reward points : 10615
RE: New Book.. - Monday, June 09, 2008 3:57 PM
I love the idea of a "cancer cruise!"  And I think we should invite any cancer patients....especially our sisters who have uterine and ovarian cancer--they just don't get the support we do....

I can just see us all hitting the beach with our Mai-Tai's and our "Cancer Sucks" t-shirts!!

Joyyce

Portland, OR. DX: 6/09/05 IDC lb Age: 54 PR/HR+ Her- Lumpectomy/SNB 6/22/05 Nodes Neg! 33X Rads Comp 10/12/05 Tamoxifen: '05-'10 PT for lymphydema in breast '06 BRCA Neg 7/08! Tamoxifen induced uterine issues '07-'11 Total LA hysterectomy 12/11
rory

• Total Posts : 1336
  • Reward points : 3875
RE: New Book.. - Monday, June 09, 2008 4:15 PM
Hi Joyce,
  I think I'll be getting a copy of that ! thanks for the heads up.
dx 3/07
onward and upward.
milesofsmiles

• Total Posts : 136
  • Reward points : 3140
RE: New Book.. - Monday, June 09, 2008 5:56 PM
I too plan on getting a copy of the book. And yes cancer does suck. I get angry when people tell me to be positive and I'll make it through this--what the heck they don't have or haven't had cancer so until you stand in my shoes don't tell me how to feel. Sorry just one of my moments.

dx01/17/08 port02/01/08 chemo 02/07-05/15/08 surgery 06/06/08
Cheryl Gorham

• Total Posts : 388
  • Reward points : 0
RE: New Book.. - Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:23 AM
Can't wait to read Shelley Lewis' book, sounds exactly up my alley.

Most people just don't know what to say about the whole cancer thing, so the pick a clique (not sure if that is how you spell it).  "Stay positive", "God doesn't give you things you can't handle", "this is just a little bump in the road", blah, blah, blah.  One day when I don't have my "happy" filter on, I am going to yell at someone, then have to apologize.

I am making myself a T-shirt that says F#%@ BREAST CANCER in big bold letters so people don't get confused and think cancer is a walk in the park.  Already made a shirt that says I AM INVINCIBLE, which I wore to my first round of chemo. 
Dx @ 42 yrs old, IDC R/B
Lumpectomy 5/1/08 w/node dissection
1+/9 nodes, 5cm area removed
ER+/PR+, BRCA1-/BRCA2-
Stage IIb, Grade II
TAC 6/5/08,6 rounds,completed 9/17/08!
34 rads 10/9/08 completed 11/25/08
Lymphedema r/arm
catt716

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 3780
RE: New Book.. - Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:26 PM
Wow...I sure hope I haven't ever said the wrong thing.  I thankfully don't have BC, but was facing one of my greatest fears when I waiting on my biopsy results.  [sm=whew.gif]
The only thing I can liken any of my experienence to was when I got the news about my family members, and I hope I never said the wrong thing to any of them.  I've had many family/friends battle the disease...some won the battle, some lost.  I don't think I've ever lessened the fact that cancer sucks! 

maternal uncle - died from colon cancer
maternal grandmother - survived BC
maternal aunt - died from BC

paternal grandfather - survived colon cancer
paternal grandmother - survived BC, died from ovarian cancer (refused chemo this time around)
paternal aunt - survived kidney cancer
father - battling and surviving prostate cancer

21 yr old daughter of a dear friend - died from cancer that started as a melanoma
coworker & friend - battled various cancers due to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam - got free of cancer after being told it would kill him

While I have personally not had cancer, I know that cancer SUCKS!  I hate that it seems like every time I turn around these days, someone else I know or their loved one is being diagnosed with the big "C." 

Everytime my Dad (diagnosed with prostate cancer at 50, and then reoccured 9 years later...he's now 62) gets his #s checked I brace myself, because for a while there we weren't so sure...but they have been sustaining good results with his current hormone therapy!   I remember people telling me when he was first diagnosed...if there's any cancer to have, that's the easiest one...or the most curable.

I try not to fear the disease, but I am human...I get tired of it claiming and affecting the lives of the ones I love!  I say "HA-in your face" when another loved one is deemed "cancer free," and I cry for those who are left behind when the battle here on earth is lost.  And when I don't know quite what to say, I simply pray!   I sure hope I've never said anything stupid like "Cancer is a gift," because cancer has never given me anything!  

Don't know how much my 2 cents is worth here...but thought I would share![sm=peace.gif]

God Bless each of you! Catt
<message edited by catt716 on Friday, June 13, 2008 8:27 AM>
34, SC
abnormal screening mammo 5/2/08
diagnostic mammo and US 5/23/08
US guided CNBx 5/28/08
Dx B9 fibroadenoma 6/2/08
Scheduled lumpectomy for 8/6/08
Survivor Chris

• Total Posts : 532
RE: New Book.. - Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:35 PM
Catt,...WOW you probably know more about cancer than all of us put together...Have any of your family member or youself had any gentic testing done?
You are correct cancer does suck..It will never be a gift, it changes our lives but I do have to admit just one thing, the only thing cancer ever gave me was courage and strength that I never know I had.
People who do not know about the disease just do not know what to say so they just say the normal stuff..Until they walk a mile in our shoes they just cannot know. When people say stuff like that, I just smile. It urks me but I have to understand where they are coming from. They don't know that I just heard that same "pick me line" 20 times today and I am now annoyed by it.
Cancer will never be anything but a life sucking disease that takes the people we love but...it is real, it is here and we must deal the best we can..Thanks for you insight into your life. It helps us understand also..
Keep the Faith
Chris-40 yrs old
Parkston,South dakota(out in the corn fields)
Dx 2/12/08
Dble Mast 2/28/08
Node Neg No Chemo No Rad
DCIS(14cm) Tamoxifen fr 5 yrs
Reconstructive surgery 8/28/08
ER/PR + Brac 1 & 2 neg..
Hysterectomy 7/1
cberrier

• Total Posts : 1863
RE: New Book.. - Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:30 PM
I read that book the other day too.  I liked it a lot.  I think we all have those feelings at times.  It's hard not to.  One book I read that has been bothering me all day is "Nordies at Noon".  I thought it was going to be inspirational, but two of the women died from breast cancer and I've been crying off and on all day.  It really dragged me down.

cberrier
49 at diag. 03/02/06, idc lb
6cm tumor, 11 pos nodes, mast/hyst
3/24/06 eg+, hercep - 8 dd chemos 4 A/C & 4 Taxol, comp. 07/28/06
28 Rad.tmts comp. 09/28/06, Femara 5 yrs
Just celebrated 4th year cancer free.

"To me every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle."  Ralph Waldo Emerson 
MarcyEmm

• Total Posts : 223
  • Reward points : 1715
RE: New Book.. - Friday, June 13, 2008 10:57 AM
I also read "Nordies at Noon" and was disappointed in the ending.  I know that people die from bc but, I just thought that through the whole book it was going to have a happy ending.  It was a good book.  Just a let down at the end.  I'm glad they shared their expierences though because there aren't a lot of books out there for women under 30.  Let's face it, you are at a totally different stage in your life at that age.  We all are facing the same beast but, dealing with other issues in our lives.
Age 33   
2 & 4 year old daughters
Cape Girardeau, MO
Dx IDC 05/14/08
FEC 4 rounds 05/27/08
Taxol 12 Rounds 10/7/08
Left Mastectomy 08/27/08
25 Rads completed 03/13/09
ER/PR (+)10%, Her2/Neu(-)
BRCA1&2(-)
Carepage: MarcyEmmons
Steph61108

• Total Posts : 278
RE: New Book.. - Friday, June 13, 2008 11:42 AM
I'm trying to remind myself that as of last week, I was oblivious too and probably said something stupid to somebody.  If I did, I certainly never ment to.  You just can't understand it unless your in it.  The "stay positive" kills me.  Like I said, I know they mean well, but yesterday I just wanted to curl into a ball and cry all day and by God right now I should be allowed to do so!

Todays a good day though.
Dx IDC 6/11/08
The day after my 33rd bday
ER+ PR+ Her2+++
Stage I Grade II  Nodes Negative
BRCA Negative! Finally, good news!
RB Mastectomy & Port 7/17/08
Carboplatin & Taxotere x 6   FINISHED!!!
Heceptin until 8/09  FINISHED!!!
Tamoxifen for 5 years starting 1/09
Lat Dorsi Flap Reconstruction w/ Expander 4/29/09
FINALLY, Implant Swap 9/18/09
Headlights turned on 12/18/09
Katherine Burto

• Total Posts : 181
RE: New Book.. - Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:50 AM
Bump
Kate Burton
Dx 4/06 Stage III E+P+ Her -