Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My tips for chemo...
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 18, messages 91 to 100 of 179
Anna Rae

• Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 5940
Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:39 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this, all of this! 

I had a BIG birthday party on Saturday and cut my hair on Sunday, my 55th birthday! (it was long, curly and very thick, someone is going to get a fine wig) Monday was Chemo 101 calss, Tuesday - labs, ECG and bone scan.

My Bard Power Port was implanted yesterday. I see my oncologist next Monday morning. During our last visit she said that I may start chemo then... and if not Monday, difinitely another day next week. 
Each proceedure; each day, drives home the reality of what already has and what is about to happen. I'm scared, I'm angry and I try my damnedest to be stay positive. Due to the nature of my job and location of my office, I will not be permitted to work while in chemo, every 2 weeks for 6 months... Luckily I have a plan for how I will this time to good use.

Yesterday my handsome, smiling surgeon told me, "We are treating you head to toe. We are dropping Naplam on you!" I kind of like that visual.

Like Jerry said, What a long, strange trip it's been... 

DCIS Stage 0, Right Side Unilateral Mastectomy -  May 14, 2010
HER2+ BC Stage 3C, Right Side Lymph Nodes - 6 Months Later
End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annaraebamberggilder

Anna Rae
Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:53 AM
Sounds like you've great docs and a terrific attitude besides, Anna Rae. Both will carry you through all the un-fun that chemo can be. Sounds as though you're going "dose-dense" since the chemo will be every two weeks.

Be assured if you weren't already told this that triple-negs respond much better to chemo than to other treatments and often far more readily than do those of us who decided to get a cancer that had positives.

I'm not thrilled about a daily aromatase inhibitor for FIVE YEARS once I finish rads, but my  med onc said that one is necessary since my ER score was very high indeed. Thus, I refer to the cancer I had as an estrogen drunk. hee hee

Like you, my hair was fairly long and is naturally curly, so I chose to buzz and then shave it off at the first signs it was falling out. Sure has worked well and left me feeling empowered that I DID IT MYSELF. Silly me, huh?

Wishing you a smooth progress through chemo,
Dot
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Anna Rae

Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:12 AM
Let's hope that this go 'round is triple negative too. Any reason why it wouldn't be? My doc is awaiting additional results from the most recent lymph node biopsy, that's where this little devil revealed itself.

I had hair down my back now it's 1/2 inch long. I'll buzz it to the scalp after 1st tx, before it starts falling out. This is where I do have control and I intend to exert my control at every possible opportunity. 

On the 27th, I told my son to put on some Hendrix and CRANK IT UP! My husband to got the clippers. We assembled in the backyard, my family stood in front of me smiling as the shearing commenced. My nephew and cousin documented the event, and posted a 10 minute video on FB. My hair is enroute to Locks of Love.

End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

Anna Rae
Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:36 AM
Anna Rae

Let's hope that this go 'round is triple negative too. Any reason why it wouldn't be?

Ooops! I've a bad case of post-infusion chemo brain obviously. Didn't even notice that you indicated you're awaiting details on this one and that the other sig details pertain to your previous cancer. Duh, me!

Unfortunately, not to alarm you, this one could have quite different characteristics if it's another type of bc entirely or it might be a recurrence that is also triple-neg. No way to tell until the path report, I don't think.

Wishing you one that will respond quickly and well to treatment in any case, that's for sure,
Dot
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:26 PM
Anna,

Do you know your hormone or her2 details yet???
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Debbie52

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 55
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, March 18, 2011 10:14 AM
My mother has breast cancer and the doctors may not remove the cancer.  First because of her bad heart and another doctor said because it is too expensive.  Reading your letter has helped me because if they do let her have cheo I know what to expect.
colormepink

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 975
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, March 21, 2011 11:20 AM
Debbie, we are all here for you if you need us.  God Bless you and your Mother.
Anna Rae

Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, March 21, 2011 5:10 PM
Tricia, 

HER2 +. Herceptin infused weekly for 52 weeks, started 2 Fridays ago...
Late response but I just noticed this, no surprose there!

End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

Anna Rae
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:01 PM
Sorry Anna that I'm so late seeing this message but thats good news!!!!!

The year goes by far more quickly than you'd expect and the side effects should be minimal:) xx

Hope you're doing well since your last post?
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
diane squirlz

• Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 2105
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, July 29, 2011 9:21 PM
sorry to put this here ~ i've tried the search option multiple times but got no results.

my HER2/neu came back as equivocol on my original bx.  it was then sent for FISH testing.  this also came back as equivocol.  the onc told me she would immediately test the tissue taken during my mastectomy.....THIS would give us answers.  once again it came back as equivocol.  (the onc nurse told me my onc has never had this situation before and would be contacting colleagues and doing research on how to handle my situation.)

any advice?  (or can you aim me in the right direction to find the answers here?)  i see my onc monday and i'd like to have some further knowledge going into the appt.
Dx'd IDC 5/14/11  age 47 
ER/PR+  HER2/neu -   BRCA -       
Double Mastectomy w/ reconstruction 7/8/11 (hbot x 10)\Right Lymphectomy 7/15/11    2 of 25 nodes +
Stage IIB 
Sx 8/17/11 infection, right (hbot x 12)
Chemo:  A/C followed Taxol (8/15-12/12/11) 
More surgery approx 3/1/12 
Radiation afterwards, tamo
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 18, messages 91 to 100 of 179

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll