Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My tips for chemo...
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 13 of 18, messages 121 to 130 of 179
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, March 23, 2012 11:33 PM
I would just like to add a couple of updates to this original post made back in 2009...to this day, many of what I suggested holds true. My beloved father-in-law, at age 82, was recently diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer, and the last time he had been sick was back in the late 70's or early 80's...he had no warning signs, it was like "BAM" there it was. Since I was the most recent family member to have undergone chemo, after his successful surgery, which removed all the tumor (still encased in the colon, thankfully) he was told to have chemo. He and I have had many, many long discussions about chemo, the good, bad, and ugly. I told him to hydrate, to flush the poison, to take notes, to take people, to ask questions, to report any changes in skin, specifically mucosal membranes, and to stay on top of things...we talked each week after his chemo treatments, and I'm thankful to report he has successfully completed his chemo. While it was not without side effects, and most of them very unpleasant, if you follow the basics, and keep on top of what is happening to your body, write it down, ask questions, and remember, this is YOU, and it is happening to YOU, then even at age 82, you can survive chemo. Happy to say he's slowly getting the poison out of his system, has no markers in his blood, and is getting stronger, enough to the point he's back out in his wood-working shop working on building custom baby-doll beds, rocking horses, and even harley motorcycle type rockers...he's quite the hero...it can be done, everyone hang in and hold on, to someone, anyone who can help guide you through. There is a light, no matter the age/stage/type...you can beat this.
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:48 AM
I'm glad to read your FIL is making such a good recovery Deb and he sounds an amazing man for his age!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
dalton22

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 200
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, May 25, 2012 2:30 AM

This tips  will  helpful for  the people. In case you are starting chemotherapy, you need to stay as healthy and cozy as possible during therapy. Chemotherapy and radiation therapies placed their own burdens for the nutrition system as well as the cancer itself. Chemo can do lots on your tastebuds, ensuring foods and drinks taste metallic or distressing. Water and meat will be the two most popular items which become horrible during chemo, If you're experiencing diarrhea, avoid greasy and foods that are fried, caffeine, sugary drinks and fruit drinks, salad greens, raw produce, and sugar alcohols.
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:47 AM
If anyone is interested, I've been contacted by an editor of Guide to Chemotherapy, and am included in an article...there were 4 of us quote4d, and out of the 20 tips, I have 9. There is also a current photo of me (with Pebbles of course) in the magazine and if you'll email me at dads1997@embarqmail.com I'll be more than happy to send you the PDF file of the mag which includes the article. This is a free publication, scattered throughout oncologists/surgeons offices nationwide, and I thought it only fitting that I provide those who are interested the complete mag, since many of my "tips for surviving chemo" were used, and this very Komen board is how the editor tracked me down. Needless to say I wasn't happy bout my pic, but whoever is?? LOL, just kidding, I say as long as we can look in the mirror and see light in the eyes of our soul looking back at us, we're doing okay. Hugs and love and butterfly kisses, Deb/akaMimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Rosemary54

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 120
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, October 01, 2012 3:12 PM
Deb,

Thank you for taking the time to share these tips. I start my chemo on Friday and I am scared! 
I don't know what I would do without all of my sister friends!
Stage 1, grade 2-8/30/12
Lumpectomy clear margins-1.2 cm
ER-/PR weakly pos/HER2-
nodes neg
BRAC 2 +

Tricia Keegan

Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, October 01, 2012 3:57 PM
Good luck Rosemary and please post any questions you may have as we're all here to help you through this!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
ClarieSue

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 55
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:04 PM
Hello, I'm brand new to the boards (and my survival story).  I had my first DD T/C chemo of 4 rounds on 9/25 w/ Neulasta next day (does anyone else thing that sounds like the name for a margarine?) and think I did pretty well.  No nausea thanks to meds, mostly fatigue & bone pain which has gotten better.  However last couple of days I have developed a very uncomfortable case of sore gums & mouth which also is very irritating "down there" - burning and itching.  Went to GP doc and had tests for yeast etc. infections, all clean.  I am attributing to mucositis.  Have all of the Dr. recommendations for the mouth pain, but any suggestions on vaginal issues would be appreciated.  Thank you, Clare

Clare from Colorado age 52
DX: 7/30/12, BRCA1+, TN IDC, 1.5cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, Stage 1a
BM 8/28/12 w/ expanders
T/C 4 DD 9/12 to 11/12 in progress
Plan for perm implants & Oophorectomy 12/12

Tricia Keegan

Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, October 04, 2012 5:04 AM
Clare I'm sorry but I didn't have this myself so really don't know what to suggest except to ask your chemo nurse as I;m sure others will have had it so they'll suggest a treatment. Good luck!
Carepage- survivortricia
gibsonride1

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 50
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:53 AM
Hello, Thanks for the awesome post and very helpful tips!!
Wintersmom

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:24 AM
Thanks for all of the tips. I start Chemo on Thursday and would be much more afraid if I did not have all of the information I have now. Thanks everyone !
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 13 of 18, messages 121 to 130 of 179

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll