My tips for chemo...
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 8 of 18, messages 71 to 80 of 179
marcij

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 420
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, December 27, 2010 10:41 PM
Cindy D.

marcij,

The amount of time for an infusion depends on the drug you are being given. The actual infusion time for me varied from as little as 30 minutes to a couple of hours, depending on which med it was.

But.... there is lots of waiting.... and it winds up being a long day... arrive, check in, wait to have vitals taken, then wait for the doctor, meet with doctor, then head over to infusion center, wait for nurse to hook up iv, and wait for pharmacy to get meds ready, then... finally, the infusion begins, wait for the buzzer to go off that the infusion is done, then wait for the nurse to get to you to unhook you, and then you can go home....

take care,
cindy d.

Thanks for the info.  Do most people go get fitted for wigs before their hair falls out, or is it easier to do right after you cut/shave it etc?  Thanks again for the support!
Marci
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:42 PM
After you buzz it off otherwise your existing hair can cause the wig to fit differently.  Just be alerted to if you wear glasses be sure to try it on with your glasses.  I found a wig I liked but it ended up bothering me as the bows of my glasses would be pushed into the top of my ear by the wig.  Made my ears sore.  Many of us wore scarves more than we ended up with wearing our wigs.  More comfy and cool.  Also, if you do by a wig, there are those that have a light liner and they are much more comfortable than those with the scratching netting.
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
marcij

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 420
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:11 PM
I will keep that info in mind.  I plan on probably only wearing the wig around the kids' school and their events, and wearing a scarf or hat the rest of the time.  Thanks again.
chick vs fire ... and cancer

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:My tips for chemo... - Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:16 AM
This was really great to read, very glad I found this site.  I wondered if anybody had heard of the "cold caps" you can wear during chemo to help reduce hair loss?  I have personally come to terms with the idea, but I have a friend who brings it up every time we're on the chemo topic, and think he's more traumatized by the idea than I am.  HAHA. 
Beth
43 yrs old
metaplastic IDC - triple negative
11.19.2010 - double mastectomy
1.2010 - start chemo

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:25 PM
Hi Beth-yes i've heard of them but anyone I know who used one did'nt have great success and even if you don't lose all your hair, you can just have bald spots and odd hairs here and there....which may be worse than losing it all!!!

Losing our hair is traumatic of course, but you do get used to it and remember it's temporary and will grow again so worth it to be cancer free:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Rechelle McCans

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 50
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 21, 2011 10:40 AM
I got constipated real bad with my first chemo was told I could take Milk of magnesa it was a wonder drug for me LOL. so now I take it at 1st sign of const. after each chemo round.
adrumhel

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 600
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 21, 2011 11:58 AM
Thank you so much for this post.  I will begin chemo sometime next month and am very anxious and unsure of the unknown...the only think I do know is that it will be the worst part of the process in kicking this beast to the curb - so thank you again, for this post!
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:06 PM
Hi Adrumhel,

I hope you'll join us on the winter ladies chemo thread where other's are going through what you're facing soon:)

Good luck and hope to chat to you more there:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
JF

• Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 3520
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:44 PM
Adrumhel,
I am going to begin my treatment this coming Thursday and while a large part of me is quite fearful of the whole process on many levels, a large part of me is really ready to get this show on the road.   The countdown to treatment is an odd time - I look and feel great but I know that I must begin the treatment journey.  I am sure that you will find the many warm loving posts to be helpful in quantifying some of the unknowns and in providing good old fashion support, like only someone who has been through this can provide. This site has been a godsend and I welcome you...
I am not sure what your treatment will be, but I will be receiving TC and will share my experiences with you. 
Judy
diag 12/2010; lumpectomy and then re-excision to clear margins; 2.8cm; stage IIA; low grade; .85mm micromet; ONCO 15; ER 100%+/P+/HER-; TC x 4 started 2/24/2011; radiation ending on 7/8/11 then aromasin

colormepink

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 975
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:20 AM
Hello and welcome!  You will do fine on Thursday!  I promise you!  I was all nervous and jerky before my first chemo treatment and once it was over, I was like, "is that all"???  Don't get me wrong, everyone is different. But my first treatment went extremely well.  One hint I can give you is to drink lots and lots of water the day before chemo, the day of chemo and the day after.  I am the biggest baby, and if I can do it, you can do it.  Good luck and keep us posted.  You can join us over at -Winter chemo ladies! 
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 8 of 18, messages 71 to 80 of 179

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message