Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 4 of 8, messages 31 to 40 of 79
barbwire930

• Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 1020
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:28 AM
i had the same symptoms fortunately i had doctors who suspected IBC and did a biopys right away. i am not sure what to tell you other than keep pushing the doctors. this is a serious thing. i will pray for you

barbara
ibcmets

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 695
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:48 AM
Trish,
I hope by now you have had someone check this out further.  Typical symptoms of ibc present redness that won't go away and your breast will be a lot warmer, may itch & have a dimpling effect of the skin.  My breast was also much harder than the other one--you could defintely tell a thickening of the skin about 6cm long X 3cm wide.  I also had a lump which is not normal but did help escalate things quickly.  Good Luck in getting this taken care of.

Hugs,
Terri
6/09 - diagnosed ibc inflammatory with bone metastasis
           stage IV - ER/PR +, Her2-
1/10 - 7th chemo, 3 with TAC, 4 TC
2/10- Last TC chemo
monthly - Zometa infusion  & daily Femara
wigeon

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:18 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have just been diagnosed with IBC . I had a core biopsy last thursday the radiologist said your breast feels warm and a rash. To be truthful I never noticed I had I was having pain in my breast like a pulled muscle so my pcp sent me for mamogram ultrasound that is when the radiologist siaid get biopsy so week later did this my first appt the dr. said my lymph nodes looked good. The radiologst who did my biopsy is the one who mentioned IBC on my form for my pcp. I saw my pcp friday as I have had a horrible cough she said it was bronchitis and has me on antibiotic and cough med. I arrived home after my appt. late afternoon Friday 14th2010 and my pcp called and said "I know you spoke with the Pathologist she said she spoke with you." I never spoke to a patholigist and told her she said that strange anyway she said your test is Breast Cancer I assume it is IBC she said I want to get you areferel to a surgeon. I said ok as I am in shock she said I don't know much about this cancer I will need to read up on this (very frustrating). I have no idea what stage my cancer is in I am at a loss. I live in Northern Va Fairfax area does anyone have suggestions on good Dr. I am still coughing with what feels like a pulled muscle but worried it is on same side as my IBC. I am glad to have people to speak too here and who may help.
ibcmets

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 695
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Monday, May 17, 2010 2:52 PM
Barb,
I was on TAC (taxotere, cytoxin & adriamyacin) for 8 months-once every 3 weeks.  I did fine.  No pain, just extremely fatigued about 1 or 2 days after chemo.  I had nuelasta shots to bring up my blood counts, but I was still fatigued about 2 weeks after chemo.  I had 1 good week every month.  I was on steroid medication for 3 days during chemo.  This will keep you energetic and you may have a difficult time sleeping.  During chemo & still now; I take Melatonin at night to help me relax enough to sleep.  I didn't want to take ambien or other sleeping pills because I did not want to feel sleepy the next day.  Melatonin is natural and available over the counter.  You probably will not be very hungry during chemo.  Light stuff is good--soup and crackers, yogurt,pudding. Sleep or rest a lot.  I'm stage IV so I did not do radiation or surgery.
Good news is after 10 months, scans were clean, no more tumor or bone mets or inflamed lymph nodes.  I'm now on Femara daily & Zometa monthly to keep the bone mets away.  I've regained my energy and deal with bone & joint pain from the Femara---but no cancer for now.   I get rescanned every 3 months.
Good Luck with your treatments.
Terri
6/09 - diagnosed ibc inflammatory with bone metastasis
           stage IV - ER/PR +, Her2-
1/10 - 7th chemo, 3 with TAC, 4 TC
2/10- Last TC chemo
monthly - Zometa infusion  & daily Femara
Ruth Coates

• Total Posts : 2475
  • Reward points : 1635
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Monday, June 21, 2010 7:00 PM
HI, I know its been awhile.  I have been away for a long time, mainly caught up in Facebook games, and dealing with my own health issues related to RA not cancer thank God!

But I am still here after a 2006 diagnosis and completing treatment in 2007, so i guess i have passed my 3rd and 4th year of survivorship. Whew they told me I may not make it to this year...ha! fooled them!  Statistics aren't always right!

So if you have questions and all there are others like me here who lurk on the other cancers section here.  Ask away.  We'll try and help!

Hugs!
Ruth

Paw Paw MI 
6/06 IDC,7/06 IBC (Inflammatory BC) RT
2 lumpectomies still no clear margins
chemo 8/06-12/06 
Bilat mast 1/07
rads 2/07, arimidex 6 mos, 1/08 femara, 10/08 aromasin
6/10 tamoxifen, now Rheum Arthritis
Pet scan NED x3 yrs
AlaskaAngel

• Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 1345
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, June 25, 2010 2:46 PM
Hi Ruth, your posts are encouraging so thank you. I do not have IBC but am a NED IDC/DCIS/HER2 pos survivor of 8 years. My older sister at age 64 has been a NED suvivor of 8 years and has just been dx'd this time with right IBC (same breast as before), 2 LN in one axilla, 1 LN in the other, 1 possible LN near the pectoral, stable nodules in one lobe, and after A/C x 4 and post right mast, looking at either Taxol or taxotere x 4, HR+ so followed with some AI. She is pretty scared of the neuropathic side effects and is trying to figure out whether to do Taxol or taxotere, and how to manage them... and still trying to get her head around having to do more chemo.  I don't have her path reports from either dx yet. First time around all she had was rads and tamoxifen. Mine was bigger so I've had CAFx6 and tamoxifen. Thanks for any help.
Ruth Coates

• Total Posts : 2475
  • Reward points : 1635
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:39 PM
I believe that my doctor told me that taxotere has less side effects and any SE were no long lasting.  During my 4 taxotere my skin peeled from my hands and feet and my fingers and toes had numbness and tingling (like the were asleep).  All of that is gone now, 3 yrs post.

They also say though this is anecdotal, that if you are in a cool room, that fingers and toes have less problems, by keeping them cool during infusion, and to drink ice water or cold drinks during to save your tastebuds.  I did this and my digits were ok but my tastebuds still thought everything was metallic cardboard.  Thats better now except I still am not fond of  chocolate (this from a chocoholic).

The last thing is the fatigue.  TAxotere makes you very tired, so if you can, nap as often as you can.  It takes a lot out of you this taxotere stuff, but it does the trick.  I am assuming they are only giving it to you every three weeks (its that hard).  But consider this.  If its hard on YOU, think how fatal it is to this stubborn cancer, since it doesn't have the capacity to recover like your normal cells do. 

Good luck to your sister, and I hope that this helps.  One good thing as I found my hair began growing back even during the taxotere...
HUGS!
Ruth
Paw Paw MI 
6/06 IDC,7/06 IBC (Inflammatory BC) RT
2 lumpectomies still no clear margins
chemo 8/06-12/06 
Bilat mast 1/07
rads 2/07, arimidex 6 mos, 1/08 femara, 10/08 aromasin
6/10 tamoxifen, now Rheum Arthritis
Pet scan NED x3 yrs
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:49 PM
Hi AA,

I think we know each other from another board:) ???

I did taxol but it's known taxotere is more tolerable due in part to the way it's mixed.   I had some neuropathy on weekly taxol, but found Lyrica was helpful as a short term med.

My best wishes to your sister and hope she does well:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
AlaskaAngel

• Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 1345
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:21 AM
Hi Tricia - Yes, I'm the same AA, glad to see you! My sister and I were never treated with a taxane originally, and I'm nervous about the issues regarding Cremaphor. Her onc currently is recommending Taxol and I'd like to understand why. I live very far away from her. She isn't breast-cancer knowledgeable, as her preference is not to know much about it. Her husband is bright, but lost about the info. She has no other chronic diseases but is obese, and I wonder if there is any information as to which of the 2 taxanes works best for the obese patient. It is helpful to know that you have been through it personally. Do you have any remaining side effects?

A.A.
Dx 2002 age 51 - still NED
IDC 1.6 (Stage 1, T1c), some DCIS
ER+/PR+,HER2+++
bc granny, mom, sis, aunt, cousin; OVCA aunt
 (sister had IDC stage I, just re-dx'd with IBC)
BRCA 1 & 2 neg
CAFx6, IMRT rads, tamo 1 3/4 yr
radiation-induced fibrosis
no taxane, no trastuzumab, no AI
Trials: Early Detection OVCA; 2004 use of low-dose  
  testosterone by bc survivor
On the road again, 3 mi/hour, 1 hr/day; stepper;   stationary bike 
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:55 AM
Hi AA,

No remaining side effects at all thankfully, it took about six weeks for it to get out of my system and I slowly felt more like myself and regained my stamina.

It's kind of you to research for her, you may get more info by checking the main ibc sites , I think one is www.eraseibc.com but if you google it I'm sure you'll get many more.   The taxol too comes up with a lot of info if you google that but I don't know if weight is mentioned other than perhaps needing a larger dosage.
I can tell you that the majority of people find taxol or any of the taxane's far easier and more tolerable than a/c.

Maybe take a look also on the chemo forum here ??
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 4 of 8, messages 31 to 40 of 79

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages