Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 103 of 136, messages 1021 to 1030 of 1351
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, September 07, 2013 7:53 AM
Hi Susan and welcome,

I'm so sorry for this diagnosis, at one time it was believed there was no point doing a mast or lumpectomy if the cancer had already spread but this thinking is old now and most Dr's do see the benefit of removing or shrinking the tumour first with chemo or hormone therapy if the cancer is hormone positive. If you're doing any research stick to reliable sites like www.breastcancer.org where they also have a very active stage iv forum.
I think with a good response to drugs your mets could shrink down almost to nothing and in general bone mets are the easiest to treat, my good wishes to you and please keep us posted.

P.S This link may help and has some questions on what to ask the Dr http://ww5.komen.org/IWasDiagnosed/IveBeenDiagnosedwithBreastCancer.html?itc=emoentpnt:5
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Saturday, September 07, 2013 7:55 AM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
thblake

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:58 PM
My name is Theresa Blake from Boscobel, WI.  Recently diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in situ left breast, still undergoing tests needed to complete surgery so pretty new to this.  Looking for possible support groups close to Boscobel or online.  
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:30 PM
Hi Theresa.  This whole process is overwhelming isn't it?  You could try to find a support group through your local hospital.  Sometimes churches or hospitals conduct them.  You might also check with your doctor's office to see if he/she knows of any.  You can also check with the American Cancer Society.  They have a program called Reach for Recovery where it connects you with a person who has gone through what you are going through.  They would be available to answer questions related to their experiences.

As always, there are a great many women on this site.  Someone surely has gone through what you are now going through.  We are here for support, hugs and advice.

Good luck with your upcoming appointments.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:43 AM
Hi Theresa,

I'm sure there are a few local support groups for you and would echo Tina's advice to you, also ask at your hospital, I found an online support group here suited me fine but I know others do prefer a one to one group so good luck and keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Phoenix

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 875
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, September 23, 2013 8:06 AM
Hi girls,

I haven't posted in a while.  Sorry!  Running out the door but my signature/comment area tells what has been going on with me.  Really love and appreciate all your early supportive messages.  Hope I can be a support for someone else!

Cheryl- age 47
Divorced mom raising 3 children (15,13,10)
Second generation breast cancer, 11 1/2 yrs POST-menopausal
7/8/2013 Dx with IDC Stage I, Grade 3, Right Breast, ER/PR+, Her2 -
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
8/22/2013 TRAM Delay surgery (prep for reconstruction)
9/3/2013 Right Modified Radical Mastectomy and TRAM Flap reconstruction surgeries.  1.8 cm tumor.  10 lymph nodes removed, all negative for malignancy.
10/?/2013 (exact date TBD) Beginning 4 rounds of chem
Lucy123

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:50 PM
Hi:  My name is Charlene and I am 66.  I had a mammogram on August 8 where they found some calcifications in my right breast.  This was followed by a biopsy which showed a very small DCIS.  I then had a lumpectomy and their was no cancer found in the tissue that was removed.  Since it was so small the doctor said he was probably removed by the biopsy.  I do have atypical lobular hyperplasia.  I have an appointment to see the Radiologist on thursday to discuss treatment.  I have been looking at a lot of articles and am quite confused as to what I should do.   There are articles telling me that it is not necessary to have radiation for a small DCIS.  It was a grade 2, solid type, stage 0.  Any suggestions on how to go about making this decision?
sutherland

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:55 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Hillary Sutherland and I am currently undergoing the BRCA analysis testing to determine whether or not I have the breast cancer gene. Every women on my mother's side has had breast cancer and we have a high risk of breast cancer due to us being Ashkenazi Jewish women. If anyone underwent this process I would like some advice and what treatment options were suggested. Thank you!!Will keep you updated on my progress :)   Hillary Sutherland  
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, September 30, 2013 1:49 AM
Good luck and hope its negative results Hilary, if you google facing our risk you should get a good informative site that may help you.
Carepage- survivortricia
PamKP

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 80
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, September 30, 2013 9:19 PM
Hello, my name is Pam and I am from Mississippi.  I was diagnosed with DCIS after a spot on my annual mammogram was suspect.  The lumpectomy confirmed it.  I am taking Letrozole (Femura) for the next five years and have begun radiation therapy just last week.  I am not sure what to think about all of this. I am not scared, I haven't cried. All I know is this is not my mothers cancer, Thank God!  I do have a family history which is why I have been so diligent with mammograms and self exams.  I had my first mammogram at 35 and am 47 now.  I've had biopsies previously, but this is the first cancer dx.  My biggest fear is my daughters.  I have decided against genetic testing since there is a history on their fathers side as well and if I should have a negative result, I don't want them to become complacent in their own care, thinking they won't have cancer.  I am glad to find this site.  I dislike telling people I have cancer because I feel like I have to comfort them and I don't want their emotions to color my attitude, which I am trying to keep as positive as possible!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:43 AM
Hi Charlene,

Sorry for my late reply but I would do the radiation, people often dismiss early dcis as harmless but it should be take seriously and rads will zap any stray cells around the surgical site so hopefully you won't have to face this again.
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 103 of 136, messages 1021 to 1030 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll