Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 107 of 136, messages 1061 to 1070 of 1351
Wendi45

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 675
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 17, 2014 9:52 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Wendi.  I'm 45 years old and was just diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.  I have no family history of breast cancer, but have been having mammos faithfully every year since I turned 40.  This was caught during my last Mammo, so my doctors think it was caught extremly early.  I had a MRI needle biopsy that came back negative, but the radiologist recommended a lumpectomy, which came back with the IDC.    What are the chances of this spreading into my lymph nodes since it was caught so early?  If it's not in my lymph nodes, is there a good chance it highly treatable and can be cured?  Forgive my ignorance.  I have an appointment to decide my course of treatment this Friday.   I'm in a tornado of emotions right now.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:22 AM
Hi Wendy,

Its better of course if it hasn't spread into your lymph nodes as treatment may be easier, however even if it has there's every chance you'll be fine and get through this as many of us have, we can't use the word cured, but there are many long term survivors out there who had chemo and are still doing well, even with a spread to the nodes its still classed as early stage bc. Good luck on Friday and keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Mimdrach3

• Reward points : 85
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:01 PM
Hi-

My name is Miriam and I live outside of Boston. I am 57 years old and was diagnosed with Stage 1 IDC in May of 2012. I am triple positive. I had a lumpectomy (tumor was 0.02cm) and radiation. I started on Arimidex and could not handle the joint issues. Am currently on Tamoxifen and find myself fatigued and many got flashes but better than Arimidex!

Have a great husband and four mostly great kids! I have. 20 month granddaughter who makes everything worthwhile.

I know I am very fortunate that my cancer was found so early on and I mostly remain very positive but I feel like I will never be the same. Not the lumpectomy but other (maybe silly) issues. My memory seems different, I'm more fatigued than ever in my life, depressed (on medication) and I just feel 20 years older!

Just needed to speak to "someone" that might understand. Thanks. Miriam  
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:19 PM
Hi Miriam, 

I also am triple positive and a little concerned you didn't mention having Herceptin??  this is a miracle drug for anyone her2+ and given to everyone (as her2+ can be aggressive) regardless of what stage the cancer is found. I think you should ask your Onc about this or get another opinion, you can learn more at www.her2support.org 

I'm almost nine years out but had to have chemo and rads as well as a year of Herceptin, I agreed to continue the Arimidex up to the ten years which is showing early promise in the trials although I do get joint aches too. I decided to have my ovaries out as a preventative and have had no regrets about that, I think the fatigue you're feeling is normal and it can take each person different lengths of time to recover from treatments, I'm glad you have a strong supportive family too.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
irishlady25

• Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:13 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Shannon and I'm 32 years old currently living in fort worth Texas.. A few days before Christmas 2013 I was diagnosed with in situ and invasive breast cancer. I had one tumor in my left breast and two in my right. A few days after being diagnosed the father of my children was killed in a horrific car accident so I've been dealing with all of this on my own. I just had my bilateral mastectomy and I'm trying my best to deal with all the feelings I have and everything else that's going on as well. Some days are better than others, but this to shall pass.
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:38 PM
Irishlady--

Oh my!  You have a great deal to contend with.  I am so sorry on so many levels.  What a terrible blow.  

As you have said "this too shall pass". You are right.  It will take awhile but it will get better.  You didn't say if you are having reconstruction or not.  Once your doctor's visits begin to calm down you will find that you can make it through this.

As far as your children's father, I hope that you will be able to find a support group or a counselor that you can talk to.  

Good luck to you.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:47 AM
I'm so very sorry for all you're having to deal with and agree with Tina in that a counsellor or support group may help you. 
Carepage- survivortricia
lashondra

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 65
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, April 04, 2014 9:17 PM
Hi my name is LaShondra! I am a 39 year old cancer patient. I have a real odd story. I will make it short by my dates:

9/27/2013 ER/PR+HER2- Invasive Ductal carcinoma (stage 1)
11/1/2013 BRCA1+
02/21/2014 Triple negative Invasive Ductal carcinoma (stage 1)
double mastectomy w/reconstruction

I will start chemo April 10 (TC)

I feel like I'm going to break if I receive anymore bad news. I know I have a long road ahead. I just need to talk to people who are going through or have gone through breast cancer.

Thank you in advance!!
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, April 05, 2014 12:08 AM
LaShondra, welcome.  I understand the feeling of needing to talk to someone.  The boards are wonderful and the ladies here are extraordinary.

Since our diagnosis are different I can't speak on the Chemo but would suggest checking out the forum on it.  You will not face this alone.  We are here to help you along.  Just know that you can do this and there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, April 05, 2014 7:19 PM
Welcome, LaShondra. I'm so sorry to hear about your new diagnosis. You are clearly taking good care of yourself to have both cancers be found at stage 1. That's good news. I just want you to know that I was diagnosed with triple negative when I was 37, and mine was stage 3. I later found out that I am BRCA2-positive. That was 27 years ago, and I've never had a recurrence. You're very wise to have chemo even though you're at an early stage. Chemo has been shown to be especially effective against triple negative tumors, so you can see the treatment as an insurance policy. I know you have a lot on your plate right now--just take it one treatment at a time, one day at a time. A very helpful website is www.facingourrisk.org. They have a very active message board for people with genetically-linked cancers like ours. I wish you all the best. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 107 of 136, messages 1061 to 1070 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll