Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 119 of 136, messages 1181 to 1190 of 1351
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 23, 2015 11:52 PM
It is really hard to grasp.  Think of it this way--Breasts don't make a woman anymore so than testicles make a man.  To simplify:  Men have breasts as well as women.  They do not serve the same function but they are there. There are men who are missing testicles for one reason or another.  Does that make them less than a man? We are so much more than body parts and image.  

Having breast cancer does not automatically mean removing the breast.  There are many women on this site who have opted for lumpectomies instead of mastectomies.  Please do some research before making a decision.  

Keep the faith.  You have found women who will help you along your new journey.  While it may not be an easy journey, it is doable.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

JK1083

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 1315
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:46 AM
I started with a positive attitude but after a few weeks, I had a very hard time staying positive. The mental aspect of dealing with cancer is very hard. I learned to say the word without flinching but it takes a while.
Dx April 2014: Stage II; grade 3; Chemotherapy,radiation, tamoxifen
Strawberrimuffin

• Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:27 PM
I do understand. It is very hard to say that word. I am trying to stay positive and you guys here is helping. 
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, January 25, 2015 4:21 PM
Gwen please do some research as a lumpectomy with radiation may also suit you, it has the same over all survival stats although the risk of recurrance is slightly higher, I felt okay with that and still doing well ten years on but everyone is different. I wish you well choosing what is right for you and agree with Tina, breasts don't define a woman, I felt able to face a recurrance but if you feel you're not then the mast be the best option, what I chose has been right for me.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Strawberrimuffin

• Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:44 PM
I have read a number of article on a lumpectomy and partial and full mastectomy. I am just trying to make sure I am here in 10 years for my son. My son is only 7 and although my husband tries to be there for him, I just can't and refuse to leave him in this world alone. If it was all gravy at home, my husband and I wouldn't be separated. Another thing that has made me choose a double mastectomy is actually being able to get new "boobies". Don't get me wrong its definitely not about that. I wish I wasn't sitting in the hot seat right now. Not really sure when it all took place, but my right boob which is where the cancer is has significantly gotten smaller. Like there was a slightly different shape in them but now it is really noticeable. I had not noticed that until the day I had my mammogram. Now I keep wondering if the BC (eventually I will get comfortable saying those two words) has done that. I still have a couple of days before I return to the doctor so I am reading as much as possible and of course using our conversation to help me. I am hoping that one day I will go without crying. I know it gets easier and I am positive as to the outcome of this whole ordeal but hearing those two words are like...having your life flash before your eyes. Sometimes its indescribable how I am feeling.
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:45 PM
Gwen--

It is so hard to say the words when first diagnosed.  It does get easier.  The decision to have a bilateral or a lumpectomy resides with you and your doctors.  Make a list of the pros and cons to both and then decide what will put your mind and heart at ease.

The "game plan" will make you feel more empowered as you will have everything laid out.  When you have to much waiting time, it drives you crazy.  If you pm me, I can tell you why I chose the path that I did.  

It is so hard to talk about with others as they don't understand.  It is hard to put into words that you are feeling and the emotions are just overflowing.  In two days I will face my 4 year cancer anniversary. I still remember that day like it was yesterday.  The big difference now is that I am not in tears.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

jumbledbamboo

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 915
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:24 AM
r esults were not good today. So here they are . I found my lump on 01/21/15.My My compressed mammogram shows a mass 1.8 by 1.1 by 1.2 cm It is spiculated and irregular. Mass is solid, pleomorphic and suspicious appearing with microcalcifications Composition cat b BIRAD 4. Ultrasound shows increased blood flow and posterior shadowing.Surgical biopsy is Wednesday. I survived a VAD stroke 4 years ago. My husband is awesome and I have a 9 yr old son:)
jumbledbamboo

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:53 AM
I forgot to mention it was a diagnostic mammography with CAD😊
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:21 PM
Hi,

I'm glad you have some good family support and that you're having a biopsy done as its the only way to know for sure. If it is bad news do remember that most breastcancers these days are treated successfully and there are many long term survivors. Sending my best wishes to you and I hope you'll keep us posted on your results.Pals
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
jumbledbamboo

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:26 PM
thank you Tricia. I know my post was not the most friendly or well put. My radiologist was great. The doc who did the reading was in another office and had to tell me her opinion on teh phone. She said it is her policy to never say cancer but that I should run not walk for my biopsy. I am scared and this and a stroke is sure a lot to deal with
Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 119 of 136, messages 1181 to 1190 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll