Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 12 of 136, messages 111 to 120 of 1351
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:46 PM
Chris,
I know how hard it is to make the decision to put your Mom in a nursing home.  My dad was in an assisted living home for 3 years....he had parkinsons and my sister and I just couldn't care for him in the way he deserved.  It was nice though because we no longer were his care givers but back to being daughters (even though we were the major decision makers in his life, but he didn't know that.)
I know how you feel about your Mom's dr not listening to you.  My Mom had lung cancer but was expected to have a few years to live.  She complained that she had pain in the upper left hand of her belly.....only to have the onco tell her it couldn't be from her lung cancer....but never suggested she see her PCP.  She suffered for months  until finally one day she was so ill my sister took her to the ER.....only to find out she had diverticilus (sp) and it had ruptured but she was to ill between the chemo  and infection they wouldn't operate.   She passed away 9 days later.
Those months of pain she was in could have been prevented had we gone to a PCP. All the oncologist was looking for was cancer....it could have been easily treated with an antibotic and liquid diet for a few days.......instead it was what she died of.  I still feel bad to this day....each and every day that I could have and should have done more for her....she depended on me to know what to do and I let her down.   We considered sueing the oncologist because he is a dr first and an oncologist second.....but decided it would be to hard on my Dad.....and no amount of money would bring my mom back.  It is so hard when the drs won't listen to the patient or caregiver.
We are here for you, please let us know how your mom is doing.
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
MomNmeBCsurvivors

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 1320
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 13, 2009 10:53 AM
I'm Wendy Bickleman. I had a left breast biopsy on 10/31/08 and was diagnosed with LCIS. Because of this my surgeon wanted a mirror biopsy of my right breast. I had an MRI guided biopsy of my right breast on 11/26/08. I was 42 years old when diagnosed on 12/02/09 with invasive breast cancer in my right breast. I had a double mastectomy on December 30, 2009 with immediate reconstruction. I didn't have chemo or radiation, so very lucky if you can call if that. Had permanent implant surgery on 5/26/09. Chose silicon gel implants. Just reecived my 6 month release from the plastic surgeon early last week. Very happy to not see doctors for a while.
Wendy

• Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 480
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 13, 2009 11:09 AM
Hi everyone....I am new to this board.  My name is Wendy and I am 40 y/o, married with no kids but 2 great dogs.  I was diagnosed October this year.  I just had a lumpectomy and node biopsy on 11-6.  I have appointments this month to see a radiation oncologist and oncologist.  Chemo is pending my Oncotype results.

Emotionally I have been doing fairly well....keeping busy with practical things and research.  Out of the blue I will have a thought in my head "I have breast cancer!!" and I have a minor tantrum.  I realize this is going to be a roller coaster ride...once I get adjusted to one step another one is on the horizon.

Anyway...glad to meet all of you!

Wendy
DX: 10/09    Age: 40 
IDC 3 cm  Stage 2A  Grade 1
ER+ PR+ Her-    2 nodes negative
Lumpectomy 11-6-09
Oncotype Score:  9 (NO chemo!) 
33 Sessions of radiation started 12/28/09 
BRCA Negative
Tamoxifen to start 3/1/10
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 13, 2009 11:39 AM
Hi to our 2 Wendys!!!!!  Sorry for the reason you are here but glad you found us. 
 Wendy B, you have been through alot in the last year and a bit.   Isn't it nice to not have a dr appointment lurking in the near future!!!

Wendy,  It is ok to have those meltdowns, temper tantrums, and shocking thoughts (I have bc!!!)  Sounds like you are dealing pretty well but do try and deal with the emotional part of this disease.....sometimes we are in warrior mode while doing our treatments but then when it is all done, and we feel like we are no longer doing battle.....reality sinks in and we have a giant meltdown. 
Come here for any questions either of you have, join in on the sound off forum for ranting, asking advise......or giving some.
Once again Welcome!!!
Hope and strength,
Julie S :-)
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
everydaysagift

• Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 1625
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:49 PM
Hello Wendy B and Wendy,

Sorry you had reason to visit, but happy to know you.  I'm new here myself & have already learned many things.  You'll hear from amazing, courageous, engaging, funny, compassionate, supportive and sassy ladies (the adjectives could fill a page....they're awsome). 

Wendy B - how marvelous you're 6 month out since implants.  Now that some time has passed, is there anything you can share w/me about your experience with silicone implants?  Would you do anything differently?  (my bilateral mastectomy scheduled for 12/18)  Like you, I don't anticipate radiation or chemo, and I'm still deciding whether or not to do reconstruction.  Thanks..... D

Wendy - It's quite a roller coaster ride.  The reality of breast cancer is lousy.  You're entitled to all those feelings.  Hope you can redirect your thoughts to happy things.  And with time, you'll ease your way into the next thing, as new information comes to you.  Ask lots of questions, if it helps to have more information.  We're all different.  Take some time to adjust to your new reality, but not too long.....the world is waiting for you......D

Hope you visit often, look around, ask questions (they're all important), and tell us what you know.......someone will benefit.  Thanks in advance.

Wishing you well, take care.....Diane 
<message edited by everydaysagift on Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:11 PM>
Wendy

Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:56 AM
Hi Julie and Diane...thanks for the warm welcome!  Hi Wendy B...funny we posted our messages at the same time.

I'm impressed with all the information here and how supportive everyone is.  My next step is radiation so I've been reading those posts to get an idea on what to expect.

The first few weeks of my testing and diagnosis I couldn't remember any of my dreams.  Now I dream that someone is trying to murder me.  So I know even if I think I'm dealing with it OK I may not be.  I have a feeling I will be one of those people with the huge meltdown at the end of my treatment like you pointed out Julie! 

I am going to clean house now to keep busy! 

Wendy

Lumpectomy 11-6-09
BRCA Negative
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:11 AM
Hello Wendy and Wendy. I just want to send you both my best wishes. I'm one of the "old-timers" around here--a 23-year survivor. I was diagnosed at age 37 with 22 positive lymph nodes, and I turned 60 a few months ago. I've done a lot of things in the last 23 years that I wasn't sure I'd be here to do, but I am living, breathing proof that this disease is beatable. Please know that everyone here understands how you feel, and we're here to "listen." Take care. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Pat Patterson

• Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 16, 2009 10:10 AM
Hello, Wendy and Wendy!  I just wanted to say welcome and add my two cents worth: Pals  I used to wake up every morning, sit on the edge of the bed and say to myself, "I have breast cancer...  S__T!"  Now I don't do that so much anymore but it's hard in the beginning.  Then when treatments are over you feel lost because there is nothing more to be done.  My radiation went extrememly well, the girls here promised me it would be a breeze compared to chemo and it was!  The worst part was going every day.  I had some pretty nasty looking skin for a bit but they gave me prescription cream and non adhesive bandages and I changed them twice a day as instructed and today there is no sign of that at all!   Looking back on last year, I can hardly believe I even did all that...the time flew by and here I am today, facing my 6 month checkup and feeling pretty good.   We are all here for you and I wish you the best!
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08
Wendy

Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 16, 2009 10:18 AM
Diane - thank you for the PM...for some reason I am unable to compose a new message or reply to yours!  Hopefully it's just a computer glitch today.  The support groups are a good idea. 

Rana - WOW...23 years!  I appreciate your input...very inspring to the newly diagnosed!

Pat - thanks for the positive words about radiation.  Since that is for sure in my future I have been researching it like crazy.  I meet with the radiation Dr on 11-23 and hope to learn more. 

I wake up most mornings with a pit in my stomach with that "I have breast cancer!" thought.  I am hopeful it will subside in the future.

Off to the radiation boards I go...

Wendy
Lumpectomy 11-6-09
BRCA Negative
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 16, 2009 12:18 PM
Hi Wendy and Wendy!!! 

Glad you found us and just wanted to say welcome and good luck to you both:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 12 of 136, messages 111 to 120 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll