Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 120 of 136, messages 1191 to 1200 of 1351
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, February 01, 2015 2:05 PM
Of course it is and we all understand that, I think we find a hidden strength to get through these things, I know I did and can't believe it was ten years ago, I was almost two years in treatment but it paid off thankfully and if you have to go through this we're here for you. ((((hugs))))
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
jumbledbamboo

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 915
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, February 01, 2015 2:35 PM
Thank you so much. I appreciate it.!
Zeusnake

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 95
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 04, 2015 11:47 PM
Hi.  I'm Melody. Got my Ca diagnosis six months ago.  I'm her2-, e+, P+. Had two foci removed on 8/22. One was 2.1cm and the other was 1.5cm. Margins and Nodes were clear. I did six weeks of radiotherapy. Had severe burns and missed three weeks of work. Finished that phase on 12/31 and started tamoxifen on 1/1. It has been rough going!  Breast cancer ain't for the faint of heart or spirit. I still cannot get my head wrapped around the words spoken to me on August 6th by the radiologist doing the initial biopsy: "these cancer cells can double in size very quickly". 

At that instant, my entire life changed. There's no going back to the blissful days of pre-cancer. I remember that phase; and I miss it. And i now know that the time before August 6 was just a phase. I remember feeling good always. I remember wondering which of my three sisters got the gene from our dear mama. I remember a sense of security that it would be one of them and not me. I remember being carefree and cavalier. I remember learning in pharmacy school that the difference between a drug and a poison is typically and very simply nothing more than the dose... Ive tried to impart that tiny bit of wisdom to anyone that would hear me out over the past 25 years in my profession. That was all during the pre-August 6, 2014 phase. 

Now I'm in a new phase, and it's all about trying to get my mind and body to agree on taking tamoxifen every day for the next five to ten years. Right now, this phase is called tamoxifen:part one. I think my take home lesson from part one of the tamoxifen phase is this:  even the right dose of a medicine can seem like a poison. And a right dose of a medicine can become a wrong dose very quickly... Or slowly... And too little can be just as deadly as too much. And knowledge is like a medicine in that regard.... Too little can be just as deadly as too much. 

I'm sorry for the rambling. Apparently insomnia is prevalent during the tamoxifen phase! 
Julcliff

• Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:06 PM
Hello, my name is Julie.   I live in Kansas City.  I was in Women's Health Care Sales for 20 yrs.  In Nov (2014) my annual mammo showed microcalcifications, and the radiologist decided a biopsy was indicated.  It revealed a high-risk, precancerous lesion (Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia).  A lumpectomy was scheduled with a Breast Surgeon at Univ of KS Med Ctr (great rep in the Midwest for Cancer Care).  I wasn't worried...it was PRE-cancerous and we were going to cut most of it out (it was a 2.5 inch area of micro-calcs).
  Thennnn..... my Breast Surg decided to get breast MRI before my lumpectomy since I have a mom and 2 sis's that are survivors and I have very dense tissue.   Lo and behold, the MRI shows yet another small tumor, 1.2 cm, about 2 inches away from the pre-cancer.  One had nothing to do with the other!  So my Jan 20 lumpectomy was changed to a double mastectomy (I chose to take both off due to my dense tissue, family history and the constant surveillance my other breast would've taken).
If I hadnt had the MRI the cancer wouldve just cont'd to grow until my next mammo/US. 
 During surgery, frozen sections were done on 4 sentinel lymph  nodes, all reported as neg and my family in the waiting room was so relieved.  However, unfortunately the Final Path Report showed micro-mets (1.1mm, so very small) to the first sentinel lymph node.  None to the other 3 nodes taken.

Now my Breast Surgeon wants to take my case to Tumor conference and discuss amongst 10-15 multi-disciplinary MDs that all treat breast cancer.  A total axillary dissection is one of the options that they might be recommending.  Well, I am thinking to reject that option.  I am 57, not 87, I have an active life to live and grand babies to lift and play with.  I have heard the horror stories of lymphedema (it happens to 35-40% of women who get an axillary node dissection).  Even my breast surgeon said once it starts it usually progresses and is a life long problem.  What do you all think??
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:56 PM
Hi Julcliff,

Is the Onc suggesting any other treatment like chemo or hormone therapy?  There's no doubt there's always a risk of lymphedema and I had a wide local excision with three of nine nodes positive, however despite many scratches from my cats and lifting heavy things I've been lucky so far and can't help feeling there's a reason some people get it and others don'e.

However I'd still be concerned about the tiny amount of cancer found in the sentinel node which is a bigger problem of course than lymphedema if it spreads, maybe another opinion may help??
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Leanna

• Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 16, 2015 10:51 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but certainly not new to breast cancer. I've lost family members to it as well as being diagnosed twice myself. Things have changed a lot from the first time in 2000 and the second time in 2014 (this last October.) I look forward to sharing information and experiences with other forum members.
Leanna 2000 - 1st BC Diagnosis Lumpectomy Radiation (33 treatments) Developed Lymphedema 2014 - 2nd BC Diagnosis Lumpectomy Radiation (10 treatments through catheters) PALB2 gene mutation
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:21 AM
Hi Leanna and welcome, I'm sorry you had a recurrance after so long but its good to know you're feeling well and over the treatments now.
Carepage- survivortricia
tstwilight

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, March 02, 2015 9:58 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I hope this post doesn't come across as whinny or like I'm being ungrateful for good results.  Let me start by saying I'm 33.  I have a grandmother and two aunts that have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  All of them were on my mother's side   

When I was 23 or so I found a lumpy area in my left breast.  It's located on the outer part of my breast at about the height of my breast plate.  After an ultrasound from a general surgeon, it was determined to be a fatty cyst/tissue (I don't remember the scientific term).  Last month, I noticed the area seemed larger and one of the parts to it or additions had an irregular shape, pointy you might say.  I had my first mammograms with follow-up ultrasounds last week.  The radiologist told me that my mammogram was normal.  He did state that there were two areas that he identified as swollen lymph nodes, but of no concern.  (Strange right?)  This was not in my area of concern though.  I tried my best to get the technician to image the area three times and to her defense I believe she did, but there was nothing discussed/observed on the ultrasound in that area.  The radiologist said that they could be fatty cysts.  I count my blessings that I have normal results from the mammogram, however, it's concerning me that there was nothing seen on the ultrasound when it has been seen in a previous ultrasound years ago and that I was told it COULD be a fatty cyst last week.  Overall, I can feel them EASILY.  They are in my body.  

I talked to my ob/gyn on the same day of the imaging.  She didn't have my results because she wasn't the one who referred me, so she based her comments on my understanding of the findings.  She conducted a routine breast exam and said that she thought it was my tendons that were stretched because my breasts are so heavy.  My right breast has one small nodule, but nothing in comparison to my left one.  

So, now I have two contrasting opinions and neither are definitive.  I realize the only way to get an actual answer is to see a surgeon.  Am I right to be concerned?  Is COULD a good of enough answer when it's gotten larger and doesn't seem to shrink in size?  I am trying to determine if I'm overreacting or if I should speak to someone else.  I'm just trying to be comfortable with my answer because I've already been told that my next mammogram will be when I'm 40.  Right now I'm worrying about it and can't think of anything but it. Please offer suggestions.  I'm sorry to ramble.  

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:06 AM
Hi,

We know our own bodies best and if you feel uncomfortable with these findings I really would urge you to see a breast surgeon who will arrange a biopsy which is the only way to know for certain. I think it better to be safe than sorry in this regard, chances are its nothing serious but I would want to know for certain too.
Carepage- survivortricia
KRam

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 7520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:34 PM
Thank you Rena.  I just made the decision to have 10 radiation treatments.  I am hoping that I will get some relief to the mets on my tailbone.  Just becoming a part of these message boards as well.  Looking forward to meeting fellow survivors.
-Kim
Dx 11/12/12, ER/PR +, HER2 -, Stage 2.
Now metastatic breast cancer (lung and bone) Stage 4
Survivor since day one!
Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 120 of 136, messages 1191 to 1200 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll