Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 130 of 136, messages 1291 to 1300 of 1351
lisab56

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 05, 2015 10:00 PM
I am a week and a half from my biopsy. I found a lump in my left breast two weeks ago. The nurse practitioner and doctor both said the ultrasound results were suspicious with the edges of the lump being irregular. Is suspicious just the word they use to convince you to continue with a biopsy? I don't know whether to be worried or not. I have adult daughters who obviously need to be told what's going on but I just can't figure out when, what and how to tell them.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 06, 2015 7:32 AM
Hi Lisa,

When a lump is found its always best to have a biopsy as it's the only way to know for sure if its benign or malignant so you've done the right thing for sure.  Do remember though that over 80% of lumps are usually benign and I hope yours will be too. I think I wouldn't say anything to your daughters until you have the results as there's no point in worry them if its harmless, good luck and I hope you'll keep us posted.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
samgirl60

• Reward points : 75
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:52 AM
Hi, 
My name is Charlene and I'm 55 years old.  I was diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma on 10/29.  I had a lumpectomy on 11/17.  My cancer was found on a 3D mammogram.  I had that kind of mammogram because my mom is a 12 year survivor.  The cancer was very small and my surgeon is very optimistic that it did not spread to the lymph nodes.  I can't help but worry while waiting for the results of the node biopsy.  My next step will most likely be radiation.  I'm not looking forward to it...my skin is VERY sensitive!  I am looking forward to putting all of this behind me!  Very THANKFUL this year!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:22 PM
Hi,

Its normal to worry and the waiting is the hard part I know, maybe check out our radiation forum for lots of tips to help you through, good luck and hope it all goes well and well done on finding it so early.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Shirlmitchell

• Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2016 12:21 PM
Hi all! My name is Shirl Michell I am from PA. My Mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer on December 15. She goes to the doctors for a consolation on Jan 5. We are really hoping that at this time she will get all her questions answered. This has been the hardest thing for me to learn. I am having a really hard time dealing with this I find myself just breaking down and crying, but I try so hard to stay strong for my Mom. It is really hard being so very far away from her but I have already told her when the time came that she really needed me that I would move done with her. For me it's really hard not having someone to talk to sometimes I really just need someone to listen to me. I look forward to getting to know people that is going through the same thing as my Mom and the rest of us .
Shirl Ann Mitchell
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2016 1:26 PM
Hi Shirl,

I'm so sorry for your Mom's diagnosis and there's no doubt cancer affects everyone in the family and not just the patient!  Please remember that most people nowadays go on to lead very long lives after a cancer diagnosis, treatments have come a long way and there are many long term survivors here to prove that.  If you go to www.komen.org  you'll get lots of advice and info to help or simply click on the link at the top of the page to take you straight there.  It may be helpful for you to join a support group locally or get some counselling if you feel you need it but please feel free to send me a private message or post here if we can help with any questions you may have and good luck to your Mom!
Carepage- survivortricia
KellyL

Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:51 PM
Hello, First of all, my apologies for such a long introduction. ;) My tumor was discovered during my routine (3D) mammogram first part of September, age 45. Ultrasound guided biopsy was extremely difficult (8-10 passes with the core needle before 'sample was achieved'). I was told at the time it was 'suspicious for malignancy'. When the results came back as fibroid, both the radiologist and myself were surprised, but I was relieved. I followed up nearly 4 months later and thankfully a different radiologist on duty discovered my original biopsy was performed 2-3CM away from my actual tumor on both planes (based on my tumor marker/pin imaging performed immediately following the U/S biopsy). Incidentally, that first physician no longer works for that radiology group. A stereotactic biopsy was then performed by the other radiologist, she likely saved my life. I learned Christmas eve I have Invasive Ductal, Moderately differentiated, high proliferative rate (low high=21%), ER/PR+, HER2Neu - (negative) in addition to DCIS, which is where I likely was (DCIS) just 4 months before. Fortunately, my mass is small (approx. just under 1 CM) and hasn't grown by very much in the 4 months. I'm VERY optimistic. Trying to get in to see a surgeon over the holidays was pretty impossible, but after seeing a couple opinions I have chosen a wonderful surgical as well as medical oncologist, case manager and nurse navigator. I have an amazing team of medical professionals in addition to an army of supporters; friends, family, colleagues, many of whom are survivors and the greatest husband I could wish for. I have done my research (I am an RN and worked 10 of my 21 years in my profession in oncology) and have decided on bilateral mastectomies (removing nipples, maximum skin and all). I am a potential candidate for lumpectomy/RadTx, but have several young survivor friends who went the lumpectomy/Rad Tx route and later had recurrence and ended up having mastectomy and other treatment after all. I also have a questionable family history with one paternal cousin age 45 breast cancer and ancestry which places me at higher risk (BRCA pending). Clinically, I am a stage 1 (hoping pathology staging matches), which is an excellent prognosis. However, I just found a lump in my contralateral (other) breast, which will also be worked up. It is probably nothing, but another thing to deal with. I am optimistic I will be cured! My message: 1. 3D mammograms (2D does not show my mass and I am not alone) 2. Insist on a stereotactic biopsy if you have large and/or dense breast tissue and small tumor. Request all your records even if the physician tells you it is benign and look to ensure your tumor marker was placed in the bed of the tumor. If you are uncertain or it is off by even 1CM, get a 2nd opinion and get re-biopsied via open or stereotactic. 3. Most importantly, there is always hope, support and we are all courageous. Positive focused patients have better outcomes, more manageable side effects and do what you can to surround yourself with positive energy/people for those days you need a bit of picking up. Stay calm (as they keep telling us) as much as possible Thanks for reading my (albeit, very long) story! In Sisterhood, Kelly
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:42 PM
Hi Kelly and welcome,

I'm so glad you've found this so early, I was one of those who so far lumpectomy and rads has worked for, I'm ten years out now and so far so good. I had a bad prognosis, highly triple positive and three of nine nodes positive and IDC of almost 2cm, I have no regrets and was treated aggressively and so far so good. I just wanted to wish you well and hope you'll keep us posted.:)
Carepage- survivortricia
Polly McMahon

Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 22, 2016 11:09 PM
Tricia!! So glad you are on the forums and are leading us!! We were active together here 10 years ago and I have always treasured your friendship. 
Just today my primary care doc called me with the news of a preliminary path report that indicated a new malignancy on the r breast - my previous one was on my l. breast and stage 0 (!) and smaller than a grain of salt. Lumpectomy and rads followed with easy recovery all around. Now...10 years later the journey begins again...so once again I am looking for my Komen friends for support. Again, so glad you are here.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 23, 2016 9:11 AM
Oh Polly I remember you well and its lovely to hear from you again but I'm so sorry the news isn't better for you, you came through it once and will do again as I know what a strong lady you are. The site here is very quiet these days as you can see, most of us are still in touch on Facebook as friends and I also recently helped set up a Komen private group there so only the members can see what is posted. If you are on Facebook please look for me there and I can put you in touch with others you'll know, or you can also search for the Komen breastcancer support group and simply ask to be added and I'll see it there:)
There are many there you'll remember, sadly one or two have recurred and are fighting this again too, a couple have sadly left us but I'm glad to say we're still offering support to those facing this. I hope you'll keep me posted, if you're not on Facebook and don't want to join then pm me here and I'll pass on my e mail address. ((((((hugs)))))dancingcat
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 130 of 136, messages 1291 to 1300 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll