Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..131132133134135136 > | Showing page 132 of 136, messages 1311 to 1320 of 1351
Jahawkins

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 22, 2016 11:12 PM
Hi I'm Jessica and I'm 24 years old and breast cancer runs in my family and I just got the genetic testing done and I found out I am positive for BRCA2 I'm pretty scared, nervous, depressed, angry kinda everything. I'm just trying my best to find a support system to help that doesn't involve having to talk to someone on talk the phone about it because it makes things worse for me I guess I'm still in denial I don't know and I really don't know what else to do so I figured I would see what this website is like too who knows tho
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:07 PM
Hi Jessica, I'm sorry you've tested positive, this is a good site with lots of helpful info for people in your position and they also have a message board to chat to others. http://www.facingourrisk.org/index.php
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Nan The Cat

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:24 PM
Hi I'm new to the Komen boards and trying to figure out how to post.  I've got a lot to figure out today.  Just diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma.  Testing to-date has been mammos, ultrasounds and core breast biopsy.  Tests so far show no lymph invasion, grade = low, ER+, PR+, HER2 negative, 2 cm, best guess is stage 1.  I'll have an MRI soon and meet with an oncologist and surgeon next Wednesday.  Just told one of my kids today, 2 more to tell, and I'm recently divorce after 25 years of marriage; he seems to have had a mid-life crisis.  I could be moving and have surgery all at the same time. Some days it's like bring it on!  My Avatar is Pete the Cat.  My favorite saying of his is "it's all good."  I'm going to lean in and go with that.  Hoping to find inspiration and words of wisdom on these boards.
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:16 PM
Hi Nan,

Sorry you had to join us here, but sounds like you've got "attitude" -- in a good way :)  We all go through this experience differently and with different outcomes, side effects, etc.  But one thing for sure is that you came to the right place to vent, rage, share good moments and bad -- with women who are truly warriors!

I'm an 8 year survivor of hormone positive, 9.5cm (yes, CM) tumor.....so anything is possible :)

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:24 PM
Hi Nan,

Phew you have a lot going on and sound like a strong positive woman and I'm sure you'll handle whatever comes but there's no doubt it's easier when shared with others that have been there and done that etc.  Good luck with your next appointment and hope you'll keep us posted and perhaps find us on FB.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Nan The Cat

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:32 PM
Hi Elaine & Tricia,

Thanks for your replies.  Phew love hearing success stories.  So told my sister today and my 13 year old daughter.  Daughter is taking this pretty well so far.  I hadn't planned to tell her for a few more days but was caught by surprise when she asked if I'd gotten the results back from the biopsy (she saw me icing last week).  Framed it all as positive and optimistic as possible.  She's agreed to see the school guidance counselor.  I plan to call her school tomorrow.  First the divorce, soon a move and mom's been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Sounds like a bad soap opera.  She's got good friends.  So do I.  One will go with me to my appointment next week as a second set of ears.  So blessed to have wonder friends.  Next, to tell one more son then my elderly parents.  I'll check the other thread to see if I can figure out the fb group thing.  Thanks again.
beachw3

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 130
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:34 PM
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with Ductal carcinoma in suti with high comedia....very lucky and thankful.

I had a lumpectomy and will have 33 sessions of radiation.  But....I have a thought in the back of my head that maybe i should (and can still do) have a mastectomy.  I get advise from everyone.  I am worried about it returning and returning as invasive.  I feel like if I get a double mastectomy then I won't have that worry.  I am premenapausal and 49. 

I would love everyone's thoughts.  I don't want to operate out of fear, but I also don't want to wish I had done something other than lumpectomy and radiation.  I'm thinking long term...
beachw3

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 130
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:51 PM
also....why do i still feel that feeling like i should have a mastectomy?  fear? that gut instinct?
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:03 PM
Hi beach:

The choice is yours to make.  There isn't an easy decision when it comes to this disease. Unfortunately no one can make that decision except you. You have to do what will give you peace of mind.

Have you talked your feelings out with your doctor?  Based on all information out there, there isn't much difference with regards to survivorship between a lumpectomy and a mastectomy. Many women have chosen lumpectomy and are really happy they did.  

You are in the middle of the "what ifs". That is a difficult place to be.  For every answer you get, it seems like two more questions pop up. 

Talk to other women about the reasons for the choices they made. Maybe this will give a new perspective.  Think it out.  As others have said in the past, once your breast is gone, it's gone.  There isn't any putting it back because you change your mind.  Give it a LOT of thought as it really isn't an easy choice.  As you will see in my signature, there were factors involved in my decision to have a bilateral mastectomy.  PM me if you would like additional information.  
Good luck with your decision.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:43 PM
One of the reasons I opted to have a lumpectomy is one that I do not think gets talked about very often but for me it was important. Contrary to what a lot of people may think, having a mastectomy does not mean it is impossible to have a recurrence. They cannot remove breast tissue/cells 100% therefore while it is small, there is still a risk. At the moment, due to some results from genetic testing, I am having to make a decision about having my ovaries removed and just today I had that conversation with my OB/GYN who made it very clear to me that the removal of my ovaries will not give me a 100% guarantee that I will not get ovarian cancer anymore than a mastectomy means you will not get breast cancer. In regards to my lumpectomy, I decided that I wanted to still be able to have mammograms. I did not like the idea that if I had a recurrence on that side, it would be on the chest wall. Granted it still could be but I liked the odds of "could" rather than "would". We all have to decide what is best for us but this was the logic behind my decision.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
Change Page: << < ..131132133134135136 > | Showing page 132 of 136, messages 1311 to 1320 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll