Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 2 of 136, messages 11 to 20 of 1351
tiara

• Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 02, 2009 12:05 AM
Dear Deb:

Thank you so much for responding for my call of help ~ the 7th is almost here
but I'm so confused I know I have to have the surgery but the reconstruction is the
part I'm not sure what to do ~

My daughter is 22 not a kid but the problem with all of this is my step-daughter died
of cancer about a year and a half ago and my daughter and her older sister were
really getting close, and with me coming down with cancer is really hard on her.

I will fight this just as hard as I can cause my daughter still needs her mom, and I'm
not ready to go anywhere ~ I just need a little advise about the reconstruction ~
ideas etc. ~

Thank you so much for listening

Tiara

Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 02, 2009 12:44 AM
tiara, you are more than welcome...when is your surgery? 

You are in a world of conflicting emotions and situations.  I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner.  I'm a bit looped right now, but please, feel free to email me at dads1997@embarqmail.com for more personal information 

re advice about reconstruction, ~ ideas ~ life in general ~  I'm here...

Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

theresac

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Introduce Yourself My name is Theresa - Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:02 PM
Hi everyone. I'm so glad that this site is available. I am a mother of two children and a fiance of 13 years and I'm only 33 years old.  I found a lump in my right breast March 09 went to the ER freaking out, I had just lost my job in 12/08 so I had no insurance at all. They said that the lump was the size of a pea and did not know how I found it.
Basically they told me good luck and apply for medicaid. So I waited until last week when my right breast was hurting went back to another hospital here in Sarasota and they took wonderful care of me there was actually someone at the hospital that could help me. God must have sent her to me. So far I have had a core needle biopsy guided by ultrasound and found out this monday that I do have breast cancer. My angel Marie at the hospital went with me to the Oncologist and had the grants approved. The oncologist said that comparing the mamo's that from March up until now it has grown and the grade is a 2-3. I'm still getting the lingo down. The oncologist said to do the surgery first, yesterday I went and had my blood drawn for the BRACA test. My appointment with the surgeon is next week. I know that I want both breast removed so that it will not come back. There is no family history of breast cancer in my family.
I'm just worried that I will not be here to watch my children grow up (I'm in tears)
If there is anything you all can help me with I would appreciate it.

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself My name is Theresa - Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:34 PM
Hi Theresa,

I'm so sorry you had to join us but glad you found us as I know for certain all the ladies here will help and support you as much as you need through this.
I do want to suggest that you start your own thread if you don't get many replies as many won't notice your post here:)

The early weeks are crazy as you're finding out, so take one day at a time as it's truely the only way to get through this and stay sane!!     The decision on surgery is a tough one and of course entirely personal but I do want to ensure you realize that even having a mastectomy does'nt guarantee no recurrance.
Lumpectomy with rads gives the same overall prognosis although the risk of recurrance is higher with a lumpectomy. Please do some research yourself and don't just panic into an early decision.  A good site is www.breastcancer.org
We also have a surgery/recon forum so please browse this too in order to help you understand whats ahead.
We all shared the same fears, but please know this is treatable and you can do it...we all discovered we were stronger than we ever thought we were:)
If you have any questions or I can help in any way please post or send me a private message, you can also e mail me by clicking on my name above. If you can try to get a copy of Dr Susan Loves breastbook as it's an invaluble resource through this.
My very best wishes to you and please keep us posted on how you do:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Deb Allen

Re:Introduce Yourself My name is Theresa - Thursday, July 02, 2009 11:50 PM
Theresa, you WILL be able to watch your kids grow up.

Treatment of breast cancer has progressed so much in even the past almost 7 years I can claim as a survivor. 

Panic, initial inability to breathe, feeling like a deer in the headlights, IS okay.

Whatever you feel is ok.  There are threads here to help you with lingo, surgery, fears, family, and anything you want to sound off about.  I had no family history. 

That was 7 years ago, and I'm still here, watching my kids and grandkids grow.

You will be too!

Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing

WarriorDawn

• Total Posts : 6
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, July 03, 2009 11:46 PM
Thanks for your encouragement Hilary! When I first started my journey I asked my doctor about Tykerb. At the time, he told me I wasn't a good candidate. But, I will put it on my list and ask about it again. It won't hurt to ask. I'm open to anything.
IBC February 2008
HER2 positive
1 year of Herceptin
Chemo & Radiation March-October 2008
Right Mastectomy August 2008
Diagnosed & Brain Surgery June 2009
Set to start radiation on brain July 2009
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:24 AM
Dawn,

From what I can gather Hilary is in a trial for tykerb in early stage breast cancer. However it has been approved and used for some time for bc mets. It's particularly effective with xeloda for brain mets as it crosses the blood/brain barrier which herceptin does'nt.
Good luck and keep us posted:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Deb Allen

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:28 AM

bump
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,

hunny0918

• Total Posts : 15
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:05 AM
Hi my name is Doreen and I am new to this and scared to death. I am in the process of setting up all of my appts for a mastectomy due to Brca1 and atypical hyplashia.  I just had a lumpectomy and they removed a 9cm mass. Family history is very strong just lost my sister sharon to ovarian cancer after a year and a half battle words cannot explain how I feel about this trying to keep it together but it is very hard.  Not really sure what to expect at this point so if anyone has any thing they think could help please let me know   thanks
Ananya_1328

• Total Posts : 5
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:16 AM
hi

I am Ananya. My elder sister received the news of her Metastatic Breast Cancer (StageIV) on her 30th birthday, which  The cancer has spread to the bone (sternum) and liver. She's married and has a 5 year old daughter and wills herself to be cured. She had her first cycle of FEC Chemotherapy and is 10 days into it now. I am so scared and overwhelmed by the new responsibility of taking care of my sister. We're very close and i find it difficult to accept this stark fact that i could lose her anytime. I've been drawing hope and strength from all your posts and pray that my sister survives the ordeal.

Good luck to all you fighters and survivors!

-Ananya 
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 2 of 136, messages 11 to 20 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll