Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 22 of 136, messages 211 to 220 of 1351
william_wjh_hiatt

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:32 AM
As a husband of a Breast Cancer Survivor I have made it my goal to raise money for a cure by donating a portion of the sales of my book to two organizations.  $1.00 from each book will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and $1.00 will go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in support of my nephew.  Both these individuals I draw my strength from and feel in my heart very strongly about seaching for a cure and assisting those who are dealing with such stresses.  I have been through a lot with both my wife and my nephew, but they are the reason I am the man I am today.  That is why I have chosen to raise money for both organizations throughout the month of April, 2010.  I hope all are able to show their support and pass this message on to their friends.  You can find me at Facebook to stay informed of the progress.  Thank you all and have a great day!  I look forward to seeing how much we can raise together.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/imageviewer.asp?ean=9781449946654

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1079152997

Lynnette

• Total Posts : 12
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:35 PM
Hello-

I have never posted anything before so here it goes...My name is Lynnette, I'm 31 years old, a wife, a mother of a 8 month old boy, and I've been going through chemo treatment for the past 3 months (it seems so much longer!)  I found out I have breast cancer 2 weeks after my 31st birthday.  I have stage 3 invasive ductal cancer-I have no family history and tested negative for the gene.
To say the least I have felt lost for the past 3 months.  I have been responding very well to my chemo treatment (a total of 8 rounds-4A/C and 4 Taxol) infact my mass in my right breast that was the size of a large egg is now undetectable.  This made me want to do backflips!!!
I'm trying to prepare for surgery.  Before chemo my surgeon was ready to do a complete masectomy of the right side but now that the tumor is gone I hope I have more options.  I'm just scared.  My mother will be with me after surgery to help with my son when my husband cannot be.  What should I expect?  I'm so afraid I will never be the same again and that I will be always limmited in taking care of my son.  I know I won't be able to lift him for awhile but will it ever be normal again?
I do plan on having reconstruction done-just still trying to figure out what kind.  Any advice?  I'm also a very active person, before chemo I worked out 5 times a week-now it's maybe 5 times in 2 weeks and its definitely changed-I do enoy walking alot more now since my energy is zapped from chemo.
Trying to prepare for surgery.  I have purchased button up shirts to wear.  Can I wear my normal bras?  Is there some other kind I should purchase?
My thoughts are everywhere.  Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:26 PM
Hi Lynnette and welcome. That's great news about the chemo working so well on the tumor! I was diagnosed when I was 37 and had a 2-year-old daughter. I had 22 positive lymph nodes and was told that my cancer was aggressive. I'm now 60, and my daughter is 25. Believe me, you'll be surprised by how fast you bounce back from surgery. You're young and, although the chemo does take it out of you, you'll recover from that too. It's true that you won't be able to lift your baby for a while, but you can hold him on your lap and cuddle him. I had a frustrated toddler for a little while because she wanted me to pick her up, but it didn't last long--and I think infants are far more forgiving than toddlers! What you wear after surgery will depend on what kind of surgery you end up having. You'll probably have some drains for a while, and you'll want to be comfortable and not restricted, so the best thing to wear under your shirt is a soft camisole or undershirt. When you've healed a bit, you can try a lightweight stretch bra. Barely There makes a soft, nylon stretch bra that goes over the head, so no uncomfortable hooks, etc. If you're large-breasted, they won't give you enough support, but if you're smaller like me, they're great. And Jjill sells wide-strap camis with a built-in shelf bra that I wear all the time. They are very comfortable. I wish you the best, Lynnette. Please keep us posted. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Bellavol

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:14 PM
Hi everyone! I am new at this so bear with me!  I have been diagnosed with ADH stage 1, but also have severe health problems. I have a type of lupas which is blood related, which causes my blood to clot and I have strokes.
So next Tuesday I am having a total radical mastectomy, and scared to death! Today I have went off my blood thinners and started Lovenox shots twice a day. Plus have had to start blood pressure meds due to all the stress. 
I am not a candicate for reconstruction. I would like to know how friends can tell you that you "Dont" need them, when they have no idea what it really means to go through all this?
nmb

• Total Posts : 663
  • Reward points : 3505
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:23 PM
Lynette - that is GREAT news!!!   I'd count on 6 weeks for recovery, but getting better every week.  My reconstruct is expanders eventually silicone implants; not many other options since I'm too thin for moving DIEP and live in rural Maine (too much to travel to Boston)  IMO, surgery is MUCH easier than what you went through for chemo. Understand it is hard with a child though.  Have a simliar but not as serious issue coming with my 2nd mastectomy and my grandson.... know I cannot pick him up for a while after surgery.

Bellavol, sorry you need to join us.  And, sorry to be ignorant, please let me know what ADH is so I can google it properly.  Totally emphasize with the no reconstruct option.  But, later I can share my experience going sans breast - it did get better once I got a grasp and looked at it (though I am getting reconstruct soon) Try to hang in there!
Nancy
DX 7/15/09, IDC at age 47
Tumor 3.5 x 2.5 x 3 cm
ER/PR +, HER-2 neg, Stage II, T2, N1 (3 of 9 positive)
Right Modified Radical Mastectomy w/expander 8/27/09 
BRCA1/2 Negative w/strong family history
4 Dose Dense A/C DONE 11/10/09!!! 
4 DD Taxol DONE 1/12/10!!!
28 Rads DONE 3/18/10!!! 
Ooph Feb, 2011
Prophylactic left mastectomy & reconstruct hoping 2011
Tamoxifin (a few months) and AI (5 yrs)
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, April 09, 2010 1:22 PM
Bellavol,

You can PM me if you care to.  I can give some perspective on "going without breasts" as I had a bilateral with no reconstruction.  Friends have a tendency to make light of breasts in hopes that if they do we won't consider it such a loss.  It is but it is doable.  I would bet money that no one would know about me if they had to go by how I look.  I also understand your fear of the surgery etc.  Each of us has different stories to tell.  Some have little pain others have much more.  I will tell you I had more and most was caused by the drainage tubes.  You will get through this.  Just don't try to be a tough cookie.  If they give you something for the discomfort, remember it is always easier to maintain keeping the pain under control than it is to get it back under control.  You have found a forum of friends here.  Many with much wisdom and knowledge that you can't even fathom!!  Please come here as often as you need to.  It is very beneficial.  Good luck and I wish you well.
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
lilstitch

• Total Posts : 10
Just found out on Wednesday 4/7/10 - Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:44 PM
I was just diagnosed on 4/7 and have not met with the drs yet. We have an appointment on 4/12. I only know that I have breast cancer. This was found on a mammo and I do not have a lump. I am 51 years old and have both Type 2 Diabetes - pill and diet controlled and Lupus. I live in central NJ.
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:Just found out on Wednesday 4/7/10 - Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:55 PM
Lilstitch, You don't give much information - is this all you know?  Mine was found on ultrasound, also no lump. Have you had a biopsy? Remember that 80% of all biopsies are negative.  If you really have cancer, remember that there have been great strides made in the last ten years.  Also - we have a "popular" cancer - it generates lots of publicity, funding and research.  Most people survive this. Really.  It is scary, horrible, nerve racking, and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Hang in there, you will survive.
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
lilstitch

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Just found out on Wednesday 4/7/10 - Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:45 PM
Farla,
They did the biopsy on Monday 4/5 and told me on 4/7 that it was positive. That is as much as I know.
Rosepetal0416

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:27 PM
I am a newcomer to this website, I was diagonised with breast cancer a week ago. I am scared. I am 37 year old with a family two kids a 2 year old and 13 year old and a great husband. This just really blew my world away, you never think anything like this can happen to you and you get a wild card thrown in. I spoke with a surgeon already and he is sending me for tests and then I have to talk to oncologist - hopefully I spelled that write. He says its between Stage 1 and Stage 2 cancer and that I have time to think about my options on what I want to do about surgery. I guess that I want advice on how to handle all this, ofcourse he gave me so much information and still trying to take it in. I want to talk to people like me. Can you or anyone give me advice how to deal with this?
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 22 of 136, messages 211 to 220 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll