Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 136, messages 21 to 30 of 1351
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:23 AM
Hello Ananya,

While stage iv is a scary prospect it's really not treated as a terminal illness anymore but rather a chronic one with treatment being stopped once a good response has been had.
I'm really sorry you and your sister are having to deal with this.
We have a forum here for advanced cancer where many of the stage iv ladies post and support each other. If your sister would like to join us please tell her she'd be welcome and she's gain inspiration from seeing many of the long term survivor's of stage iv cancer.
It may help you too to join a support group through this, if you also post on the family and caregivers forum I'm sure you'll meet many others in a similar position with family members.
I really hope your sister has a good response first time to this chemo, it's very possible she could get back to NED (no evidence of disease) and hopefully she will:)

Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Ananya_1328

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:05 AM
Thanks Tricia.

My sister is very positive about the treatment and thats giving us all strength as well. She is triple negative which concerns me. Also, she doesnt not want to join any groups or communities because she feels it wuold remind her of her illness(if i can call it that).

We dont really have support groups as such where I am anyway. (Bangalore, India)

But as the primary care giver, I feel the need to be told that what i am doing for her is correct and that things will look up for her soon. hence my decision to join the site.

Have been reading teh posts in other forums, and they're helpful.

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:42 AM
Triple negatives do have a better response overall to chemo than we positives do Ananya so thats something in her favour.  I'm glad too, to know she's staying positive, while I don't believe a positive attitude in itself will cure cancer it definatly helps our well being overall.
I'm glad you are there for her and am sure she appreciates it.

We had just one other person from India posting recently, his name is Ramesh and his Mother had breastcancer and is doing well now.  If you'd like to look at some of his recent posts on stress and yoga, he has posted on the "Healthful living " forum.

If you'd like to start your own thread on the "family and caregivers" forum I'm sure you'll get many more replies as your message will be seen more easily.
My very best wishes to you and your sister as she battles this, she's fortunate to have you as her advocate and I have no doubt educating ourselves on this disease is very empowering :)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:37 PM
Ananya, welcome, and we will be your support group, as well as your sisters.  I just wanted to share with you that my chemo oncologist is Dr. Sridevi Juvvadi, and she did more for me than just save my life, she became my friend.  I don't have any answers for your specfic questions, but please browse through all the forums and threads, and ask or just read.  Dr. Juvvadi is a tiny woman with a powerhouse of knowledge and strength, and to this day, even though it is not customary in India, we hug every time I go for appointments.  She is an angel, and I was one of her very first chemo patients.  Each year, she goes back to India to visit her family, and one of the greatest things she shared with me was when she brought her family to Dallas.  Talk about cultural shock, but we need to get over that...

All I wanted to really share is that no matter what part of the globe we occupy, or where we travel, cancer is cancer, and we are all human.

Sending you hugs and love!
Deb
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

debigeasy

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:43 PM
I am new and I was diagosed July 9, with DCIS, I am waiting on my result of the BRCA test to come back to see if I need a single or double mastectomy, I have come to terms with this as much as you can I'm scare and have all the emotions everyone has since I was diagnosed, the thing that I am not sure of is the breast reconstruction I would like to here both sides if possible If someone can tell me their experience with implants and natural tissue. I have read your stories and I feel like this is the place for me to talk and listen and hear what people have to say that know what I'm  going through.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, July 24, 2009 2:08 AM
Hi Debigeasy!

It was late when I saw your message last night so rather than post here I sent you a private message which I hope you received.

If you start a new thread with your message many more will see it more easily and respond. In the meanwhile, I can't help with recon but we have a surgery/recon forum with lots of tips and advice if you'd like to check it out.:)

Good luck and although I'm sorry you've had to join us, it sounds like they caught it very early on thankfully.
Keep us posted!
Carepage- survivortricia
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, July 24, 2009 2:32 AM
Hey debigeasy...I just now saw your post and that is my fault, not yours.  First thing to remember is this, you may not get an immediate response, but it is our goal to make sure everyone gets a response, and helpful information, as Tricia gave you.  You are so new to your diagnosis, I'm sure that your emotions are rattled.  Of course you are scared, and rightfully so.  It would help us help you when you know more about your next appointment, whether it is with a breast cancer surgeon, or oncologist, and the results of your pathology reports.  If you need help understanding the path report, there are some extremely helpful tools at the top of the pages dealing with questions to ask, and in the different forums you will find "FAQS" pinned to the top, along with suggestions and tips.  This is the place to be, and we will be here for you.  There are many different sides to the surgical options, and I urge you to check out the different forums.  Remember, we are here to help...

Deb
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

sazbro

• Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 1140
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:25 PM
Hi
I have been diagnosed on 7/23/09 and I am scared. I am only 45 years old and lost my mother in 1993 to ovarian cancer at the age of 59. I don't know what stage is my cancer yet. I have a PET scan and MRI scheduled.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:34 PM
Hi Sazbro,

The early weeks of diagnosis are terrifying for all of us, the ladies here will help and support you and hopefully make it a little easier.
You're not alone but know that this is all do able no matter what you face in terms of treatment.
I'm four years out but some of our longest members are over twenty years out!! :)
Take one day at a time through this maze and try not to absorb it all at once, you'll just get more confused. If you can bring someone with you to Dr appts, they can take notes as you won't recall anything thats said.  Whatever is ahead someone here has already faced it and can ease your fears. If you'd like to start a new thread more people will see it to welcome you, in the meanwhile browse the forums and pick up what confidence you can from reading the various posts.
There are ladies here at every stage of treatment, and all welcome new members so feel free to jump in anywhere and respond. If I can help you with anything in particular please feel free to send me a private message or e mail and I'll be happy to help. Keep us posted and welcome to komen:)
Carepage- survivortricia
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:49 PM
Hi Sazbro!  Welcome!!!!
You have found a great place!  We all care for each other, help and support each other, listen to venting, ranting and we celebrate all of the good news! 
We were all scared in the beginning, wondering how many years we had left, if we would be around to see our children grow up and see them as adults.   Once you find out the treatment plan, and do research you will soon realize that this is not a death sentence.....just a bump in the road......granted a pretty big bump but you will get over that bump.  It may take some pushing and pulling by family, friends and your new sisters here but you will get over it!
Be careful as to what sites you visit, some are very old and dated and so are scary.  This one is great, also the American Cancer Society, Dr susan Love's site, and my favorite is www.breastcancer.org.   Write down your questions for your dr, and have the person with you (and we always suggest someone go with you to help you "hear")  write down the answers. 
Sending you hugs,
We are here anytime!
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 136, messages 21 to 30 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll