Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 136, messages 291 to 300 of 1351
PDoodles

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 245
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 03, 2010 1:09 AM
We found out yesterday that my Mom will be going in for surgery(Mastectomy) next Friday.As of right now,she'll be in the hospital for about 1 or 2 days after the surgery.Then she's to come home with the drains for 2 weeks with a nurse coming to the house every day to check out everything.Anybody got any info on the drains and what we can expect when my Mom comes home from the hospital?????Thank you in advance,we all really appreciate it
heelio

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 05, 2010 11:45 AM
Hi. My name is Mike. I live in the US. I have a friend who lives in the Philippines, and her mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and she had it removed and has started on chemo. I am engaged to the daughter and I willingly helped pay for the operation and the first round of chemo. I am not rich however, and it seems a good bit more chemo is to be required. The family is pretty much broke and I was starting to look around for any charitable organizations that might be willing to help them out in the near term. It looks like the remaining chemo will run them close to $7000, plus there may be more followups. And the mom can't work while this is going on so there's lost income there also. Does anyone here know of any good source of some help for this family? Thanks for any assistance.
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 05, 2010 12:15 PM
Poodles,
Here is a link to the surgery part of this forum

http://apps.komen.org/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=43

There are several threads talking about before surgery and after surgery and what to expect.  I hope this helps...let us know how your mom is doing....we are always here for you and for her.

Hope and Strength,
Julie S

Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 05, 2010 3:53 PM
Hi Mike - this may be of help to you http://www.icanserve.net/financial.php

I saw another site and will post when I check it out!

http://tpmovers.wordpress.com/about-bcsmi/    if you google financial help for breastcancer in the phillipine's you'll get lots more that may help.

Good luck to you all!
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Monday, July 05, 2010 3:57 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
PDoodles

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:02 AM
   Thank you so very much for the link info below Julie,we really appreciate it.I will be sure to check it out,I'm sure that I will be able to find all of the answers to our questions.Like I said in another post tonight,this site is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poodles,
Here is a link to the surgery part of this forum

http://apps.komen.org/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=43

There are several threads talking about before surgery and after surgery and what to expect.  I hope this helps...let us know how your mom is doing....we are always here for you and for her.

Hope and Strength,
Julie S

thinkpink

• Total Posts : 215
  • Reward points : 7835
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:04 AM
Sorry PDoodles to hear about your Mom.    Recently I have been going through all this and obtained info from this site (below) and friends that helped me and my family & might help you....

Also, I had a nurse come too - and they very helpful - to show you how to take care of the drains....

Hugs to you and your Mom....

Let us know how she is doing....

ThinkPink

Suggestions:

Ride home: Button down top, slip on pants (easy clothes), pillow to put where seat belt will rest.

Surgeon may suggest home health care - or make sure she inquires - this is extremely helpful to make
sure drains are done right, bandages... vital signs.

2 Camisoles with drain pouches (these you can purchase online) or at a store - if she has trouble locating one -
there is one in Newport News called Silhouette - 12715-V Warwick Blvd.

Soft ice packs - several to rotate  (check with doctor first) may recommend warm..

Place simple items in the kitchen on the counter to reach easily -  like dishes, etc.

Medicine - If child proof caps & keep on hand where she will be resting

Bathroom - We set up a hand held shower hose - worked great!  Also, kept all products within a easy reach!

Comfortable Chair  or Recliner - the most comfortable chair for her, and set up simple items by it - phone, thank you notes...
magazines...Pillow / Blanket...

For the bed - a wedge pillow or large floor pillow for under the pillow - to help when sleeping.

Not sure how your appetite will be - but for me soup was it!  Until anesthesia wore off, etc.

We arranged it so someone was with me for each day - at least the 1st couple of weeks.  This was very helpful!
And scheduled a hair appointment - 3rd week or so... great booster!!!  4th week toes!

Info:
Susan G. Komen site is a great place to go for information!!! & when you're ready to message board with others... great support.

Someone sent this to me asking me to pass it on to anyone who is interested.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org 

ThinkPink - Mammo /Ultrasound- 6/29/09 Core Biopsy - 6/30/09 a-hyperplasia DCIS/LCIS Lumpectomies Left Side 9/9/09, 10/7/09, 11/11/09 (sentinel lymph node biopsy & auxillary lymph node dissection)Bilateral mast & Beg. Reconstruction (TE's) 1/26/10 Exchange Surgery (gummyimplants)-6/22/10 Diagnosed surgery - skin cancer 8/16, 1/18, 4/6 surgery 5/16,5/23 Clear Margins Yeah! BRAC/Neg, Gummy Implants FDA Approved![/colo
karak

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 12, 2010 8:16 PM
Hey,
     I'm kara.  Finished treatment.  Diagnosed with Stage 3 Level 3 left breast cancer in June 08.  Proestrogen and Estrogen + Her 2 -.  Chemo july 08 to Dec 08; complete mastectomy Dec 08; complete hysterectomy Dec 08; radiation Jan 09 to March 09; intestinal prolapse march 09; DIEP in Oct 09.  I've been treated for depression since may 09.  My husband left in aug 09.  Discovered affair in Nov 09.  Oh yea, I was 35 when diagnosed.  I have tried to make contact with support groups.  Never was able to stay.  Basically just buried myself in work.   Which I was fired 1 month ago.  Now I never leave my apartment.  Anyone my age with advise on how to get over this?  I could use some advise from women from my background.

Thanks
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:57 AM
Hi KaraK,

I'm sorry for all you you've had to go through, I'm older than you are and havent faced this problem, but wanted to suggest you start a new thread on the sound off forum.

It's busier than this one and more people will see your question and reply:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
PDoodles

Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:45 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my Mom~~~~She had her mastectomy of the right breast last Friday and everything went well.The Dr. did discover some tumors in the right underarm,he removed a number of the lymph nodes(although I'm not sure how many).We won't know anything until we get the path report back later this week.She came home Monday afternoon with only 1 drain.Mom is back in the hospital now,she went in late last night,Mom had a fever of 101.4 & her pulse rate was well over 120.They did manage to get the fever down put the pulse rate is still up there.I was wondering if anybody could tell me if Mom's latest symptoms were from the surgery or not.Thanks
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:48 AM
I'm sorry I cant help with your question but do hope your Mom is feeling much better soon. :)
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 136, messages 291 to 300 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll