Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 26 of 68, messages 501 to 520 of 1351
sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:34 PM
Hi Vicki,
Welcome!  First i have to tell you that when I was an adolescent, I had a good friend named Vicki.  I so wanted that to be my name!
I would see if the center where you're being treated has nurse naviagtor services.  They are a great resource for all the questions you have asked, and can  help guide you to all the right resources,.  The vacation thing is tough.  I would be inclined to postpone it, if thats what your onc thinks.

I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved Dad, especially  while going through this nightmare.  Your son must feel lost without his best friend.
But doctors are not Gods.  They can give their best guestimate as to the longevity of their cancer patient but really, it is not in their hands.  So many things are in play when a person is terminal.  My Dad was supposed to last until his first grandchild was born, but died when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant.  My Dad was my friend, as well as my Father.

With an oncotype score of 32, i think you are headed for chemo, without question. 
Feel free to jump in on any forum, chemo, radiation, and sound off is where anything and everything gets discussed.

I remember a woman who used to post who had 2 babies, and discovered her bc while pregnant.  I think her poster name was Jodyandkatey, if you want to do a search for her.
Sharon
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

donnapetry
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points : 3475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:12 PM
Hello, my name is Donna, I'm 51 years old and live in Louisville, KY. I was told in March that I have breast cancer in my left breast, that 3/4 of my left breast has calcifications, DCIS and IDC. I've had a biobsy and MRI. I hope to hear back from my doctor as to the results of the MRI this week. I've already been to see a plastic surgeon to learn about my options for after the surgery. Due to the fact that I am a "big girl" as the doctor put it, I will have to wait till I lose some weight before he will consider doing anything. Plus to top it off I am a diabetic.

I have a fantastic support group, my boyfriend of 10 years and 4 children. My daughter Jennifer who lives in TN works with the Race for a Cure every year along with my son Kyle's girlfriend Amanda.

I have a great sense of humor which I know will help me get thru everything.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:24 PM
Hi Donna,

Welcome and I just replied more to you on the new thread you started!

Tricia xx
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Karen1952
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:18 PM
I just joined the forum and I joined mostly to see if I can help a friend that has been diagnosed with Stage IV Breast cancer. They told her she has 6 - 18 months to live and things aren't going well.
She has cats that are her children and I have been trying to find someone that might be willing to take one or two or more possibly? They are very nice cats that she adopted from horrible situations in most cases.
This might not be the right place for this, but I'm desperate to help her and haven't been too successful yet even though I've tried every outlet I can think of. I thought maybe this community would be more sympathetic to the plight of these poor babies. I'm sure we could get them anywhere they were going to be assured of a good loving home.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 4:58 PM
Hi Karen,

Im so sorry about your friend but if you check out the stage iv forum you'll see many people far out live their Dr's time scale and live well too!

I have five cats so can understand she wants to ensure these are taken care of, are you on Facebook??   There are so many cat pages there with loving owner's that may be able to help you. If you are look for me under my name here living in Ireland and I'll happily share this info as have many friends there also cat lovers.

Your friend may do very well despite the Dr's prognosis and I hope she does but may not feel well enough to care for her cats, what area is she living in and Ill post a request for anyone that may be able to help on FB this evening and well done to you for helping your friend:)

Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

jill woltering
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 280
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:17 AM
Hi, my name is jill I am 52 and felt a lump in my right breast the middle of April, since then I have had three mamos, one ultra sound, a needle core biopsy, a bone scan and a lumpectony, I had stage 1 invasive ductal cancer grade 3 I am now waiting for the onco test to see what I will be doing for treatment, radiation for sure. My friends and family all think I am so brave and strong, really I am a great actress if any one were to hug me long enough they would feel the shaking in my entire body. Is this normal? I am feeling so sorry for my self and I hate that! I have trouble seeing every one elses world going on while I feel mine is on hold. Normaly I am a positive glass half full kind of lady, Now I don't understand who is drinking from my glass? love and hugs, me
Jill                                                                                  &nb

Her Dotness
  • Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:39 PM
jill woltering

My friends and family all think I am so brave and strong, really I am a great actress if any one were to hug me long enough they would feel the shaking in my entire body. Is this normal? I am feeling so sorry for my self and I hate that! I have trouble seeing every one elses world going on while I feel mine is on hold. Normaly I am a positive glass half full kind of lady, Now I don't understand who is drinking from my glass? love and hugs, me

Hi, Jill,

Hate to disappoint you, but you're as normal as anyone else here (but don't read my avatar, or you WILL be scared! <grin>)

You'll find that oftentimes people tell you they think you're doing just great and look terrific, because they want to say something encouraging and really don't want to know exactly how you do feel.

As you get further in the process and start whatever treatment your doctors recommend and you select, you'll find out more specifically which people really don't want to know how you're honestly doing. Those you playact for--the others you rely upon to give you the help you'll need from time to time to keep that glass at least half full.

You're just beginning to find out how a cancer diagnosis will change your life and outlook. Sometimes, you'll be grateful that it did...other times you'll feel as I do still now and then, "I WANT MY BODY BACK THE WAY IT WAS!"

Eventually, you'll reach a happy medium...most of the time.

The bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with dropping back ten yards when necessary and faking it like mad.

Luck and huggers to you...and welcome!
Dot

dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:08 PM
Hi Jill and welcome,

What you're feeling is normal and something I think we all felt at times.  I think you'll feel a little more empowered and confident when you get a treatment plan and have all the facts of what you're dealing with, do you have your hormone or her2 status as yet???  These have a big say in determining your treatment too. 

Please keep us posted and ask any questions you need to as there's always someone here who has been there, and good luck with the results!
Carepage- survivortricia

SaraD
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 2535
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, May 13, 2011 10:16 AM
Hi, I'm Sara and I'm 48 and was diagnosed with DCIS on May May 3. I was called in for a second mamogram on May 2, and was asked to do a biopsy the same day.  They called the next day with the confirmation of DCIS and I met my surgeon on May 4.  on May 6 I had an MRI (very scary) and it did not show any other places so my lumpectomy is scheduled for May 19.  The plan is 6 weeks radiation after that.  This has all happened so fast.  Everyone assures me that "if I have to have breast cancer, this is the kind to have".  what is that supposed to mean?  It is all that is on my mind from the time I wake up until I go to sleep (thank goodness I'm still sleeping!) I'm just so scared.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, May 13, 2011 12:33 PM
Hi Sara,

Im sorry for your diagnosis but most definatly the people who say that to you are right, although obviously no breastcancer is best!

It means that this is found so early it has'nt had time to move outside the breast either to lymph nodes or throughout your body, so treatment and prognosis should be excellent for you:)     Any chance of recurring too is a lot less although of course the risk is there for all of us.

It will get easier for you once you have surgery and begin rads, if you have any questions feel free to ask and sending good wishes to you and glad you found us:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Ann B.
  • Total Posts : 2920
  • Reward points : 5060
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, May 13, 2011 12:55 PM
Hi Sara--Just to give you some reassurance--I am a 22 year survivor of DCIS.  And, yes, if you have to have cancer, you're really ahead of the game with dcis.  It is better than even Tricia's description--not only has it not moved out beyond the breast, it has not moved out of the milk duct.  Once it moves out of the milk duct, it is no longer dcis.  It does mean that you will always need be watchful and make sure you always get your mammograms.  If you are interested, this site has a section called:  "Understanding Breast Cancer."  It gives excellent information.  Some women do not want too much info but you really protect yourself when you are an informed patient.  You are also able to become a partner in your own care.  Good luck.

Ann B.
Ann B.
12/89--Lumptectomy of left breast for 2 sites of DCIS followed by radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. ER/PR +
12/2002--Mastectomy of Left breast for recurrence. Nodes negative. ER/PR+ Her2-. Arimidex.

JanetM
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 105
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm Janet and I am newly diagnoses with what I assume to be DCIS.  I had a stereotactic biopsy on Tuesday and received a call from my primary care doctor to give the "not good/not bad news" and her indication that I need a lumpectomy.  I have an appointment with my breast surgeon on Wednesday.  My stomach has been turning since that call.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:50 PM
Welcome Janet and glad you found us!:)

Good luck for  Wednesday and hope the news is good good:)
Carepage- survivortricia

JanetM
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:53 PM
Thanks.  I am keeping good thoughts.  I am picking my films and slides and reports up on Monday to bring to the surgeon on Wednesday so I will have a chance to see what they say to help prepare myself.

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:58 PM
Welcome Janet!  Not one single one of us wants to be here and it is always the waiting that is the worst. Once your surgeon, rads onco and possibly medical onco gets your plan laid out it will all be less stressful.  It is always the unknown that we stew over. 
Sending you hugs,
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

JanetM
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:02 AM
Thanks.  The waiting is the worst.  I have 3 adult children and I have told 2 of them.  The other one lives out of state and will be getting married in a few months and I want to wait until I talk to the surgeon before I tell them.

mary l
  • Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:59 AM
Janet, I also want to say welcome to Komen.  I hate waiting for results also so I know how frustrating it is.  When you start treatment everything it feels so much better as you are doing what you have to do to get rid of the cancer.  I just wanted to send you my Best Wishes!  Good luck on Wednesday and come back often.   Mary L 
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010

kewlhippiechick
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:54 PM
Hi...
I'm Morgaine, but everyone calls me Mo.

I was diagnosed in March with invasive lobular carcinoma.

I'm looking to connect with other breast cancer survivors who live in Phoenix, AZ.

Thank you...

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:02 PM
Hi Mo and welcome,

I love your name and it's so pretty, but so sorry you had to join us here.  I dont live near you but happy to lend support from Ireland:)
Carepage- survivortricia

JanetM
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:19 PM
Hi,

Sorry I haven't updated.  Pathology showed LCIS and ALH.  Had lumpectomy today with wire localization prior.  Surgeon found and removed additional calcifications during the lumpectomy.  Now just waiting on the pathology from today.  The wire localization was painful and something that I hope not to have to do again.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 26 of 68, messages 501 to 520 of 1351