Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 68, messages 581 to 600 of 1351
scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 1:34 PM
Welcome to all the newbies--Sorry that our club continues to have new members (or draftees as I like to think of it). 

Trish:  I too had clean mamos until this year when the calcifications were caught.  The radiologist told me that 85-90% of the time they were nothing.  He wanted to err on the side of caution and urged me to have the biopsy.  Good thing that I did.  This definitely wasn't nothing.  I was diagnosed with Stage 0 DCIS.  I did the lumpectomy and did not get clean margins.  The surgeon told me that based on a 9 cm sample chances were that another lumpectomy would not produce clean margins. I also found out that I had stage 0 LCIS as well that wasn't detected.  I had a decision to make.  I went thru with the genetic testing as well as an MRI.  I did have a bi-lateral mastectomy.  I do not regret my decision.  As it turned out, there was a great deal more cells than what showed on the MRI and on the mammogram.  That breast was a totally full of LCIS & DCIS.  All were stage 0. 

So you can see the testing is important.  Doctors can be wrong. It is better to do the biopsy now than to find out later that OOPS I should have had this done earlier.  Good luck and I truly hope that it is nothing.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 1:51 PM
Anne:

Waiting is definitely the difficult part.  The decisions that you have to make are not easy.  Unfortunately you are the only one that can make it.  I did not get relief from the decision I made until a week and a half after surgery when the pathology report came back.  It was only then that I knew I made a good call.  As my plastic surgeon told me, think about the type of person you are:  If you don't have the mastectomy are you the type that will worry and play the what if game where you will not get any peace or are you the type that if you have a mastectomy and the path reports shows ok are you going to regret it.  With me he was referring to a bi-lateral mastectomy vs a single.  I knew that I needed a reduction on the non-affected side but based on the fact that some of the cells did not surface on the mammogram I was truly worried.  What if when the reduction was done the path report came back that something was discovered.  It was times like this that you wish everyone had a crystal ball to help them make a decision. 

I wish you well in whatever you choose.  Did they tell you if you would need radiation or not?  The one thing that I kept hearing about my DCIS from the "breast health navigator" at the hospital was that this is the best kind of cancer to have.  YEAH RIGHT!!
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Anne K
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 100
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 2:20 PM
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement!  I had a difficult night last night and spend most of it reading what other members have experienced through this forum.  This afternoon I had the most amazing thing happen.  A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had given me the name and number of a friend of hers who had breast cancer (DCIS) when she was 44 (5 years ago).  I had not called her because I felt I should be able to make these decisions on my own with the support of my husband and family.  Boy was I wrong!  Well, she called this afternoon and we spend over an hour on the phone.  Just listening to her experience and having someone to talk to that understood how crazy and emotional I was feeling was awesome.  She calmed me in a way I didn't think was possible during the last couple of weeks.  For the first time since this began I am 100% comfortable with my decision to have a mastectomy (which was always what my gut was telling me) and I VALUE the support given by survivors.  God Bless you all and thank you!
Diagnosed 7/26/11 with DCIS, high grade comedo of left breast following biopsy
Awaiting PR, ER, BRCA results (8/11/11)

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 4:44 PM
Anne I'm so glad you have made your decision and feel it's right for you, we can only make our own judgement and go forward hoping it's the right one!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 10:31 PM
Anne,
Glad you have found peace with your decision.  We each need to think it through and do what we feel is best for us.  Continue to hang out with us and do check out the surgery/reconstruction forum, there is lots of information there to prepare for your surgery.
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 12, 2011 10:44 PM
Cristen,
I took tamoxifen for 2 years and although I am not an athlete realize most women do not have the side effects that are on the list.  I had hot flashes but that was not unbearable.  You can always try it for a few months to see how you do.  Also maybe ask your onc to do a "adjivent on line" print out for you.   My onc put in my age, size and grade of bc along with and without tamoxifen and it gave a % of reccurance rate for each.   For me a headache or hotflash wasn't worth having the bc return.
Hope and strength,
Julie

Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

sjmom
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 280
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:36 PM
Hi! My name is Lisa. Was diagnosed with IDC 2 weeks ago. I am DEVASTED!!! I am 40 and the mother of a 12yr. old and 4 month old.....both girls. Right now I am at stage 2b. Had a lymph node biopsy and waiting to see if it has spread. Meeting with my surgeon and onocologist on Monday. No family history. Just want this to be over with, but unfortunely I know my journey is just beginning.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:36 PM
Hi Lisa,

Sadly most of us had no family history either and still had this dx!!!

I also had IDC with three nodes positive but six years out and now and doing well, I'm sure you'll get a lot of support and advice here to help you through this, please keep us posted on your appt and we're here for you so ask any questions and know you're amongst friends here:) 
Its not easy but you'll get through it!!!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

azbanana2010
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 10:13 AM
Happy Monday Morning to All!

I was diagnosed with Stage III IDC on Sept. 2, 2010.  Completed chemo in Feb. and radiation in May.  Starting to get my energy back.

I made it through the craziness with a lot of prayers, humor, love and support from family and friends.  I can never begin to explain to them how much their being there for me has meant.  I had an awesome team of doctors who helped make the process less scary.

I am excited to get back to my life and sharing my new passion with those around me...breast cancer awareness.

I look forward to meeting new people on here.

Have a great week!

Anna
1 year Survivor
Stage III Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 11:59 AM
Hi Anna and welcome! Congratulations on getting through the difficult first year. It's a wonderful feeling to look forward to getting back to your life. I'm glad that you have such a great support system and so many resources. You'll meet women here who are just starting out, just finished with treatment, all the way to long-term survivors. There is a lot of great support here, as well as humor and love. Take care. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Big Bill
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 165
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 1:21 PM
Hi - I have some quesrtions.  10+ years ago my wife had a radical mastectomy, chemo, radiation, 5 years of Tamoxifen, 3 years of Femara.  She has had annual exams, blood work, etc and all have come back NED.  Last week she had a CT scan (normal) and a bone scan that had two questionable areas on one rib.  I woukld think that with all the treatments she has had the rick of reoccurance would be low.  Any comments - this is making me crazy - and scared.

Thank you,

Big Bill

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 1:43 PM
Hi Bill. I know it's both crazy and scary. I wish there were written, iron-clad guarantees with this disease. You go through all the treatment and someone could promise that it would never come back. Unfortunately, we all are at risk of recurrence. However, keep this in mind: With all the scans and other tests that we survivors have, eventually they start detecting all sorts of things that are benign. For example, I had an abdominal CT scan several years ago to check for a suspected hernia. I had no hernia, but incidentally, they found a large mass in my liver. After many scans and, finally, a liver biopsy, they determined that it's a benign condition that has not affected my health or my longevity. So, the spot on your wife's rib could also be any number of benign things, and my hope is that it is. I will be sending positive thoughts your wife's way. All my best, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Big Bill
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 2:01 PM
Rena - thank you for the comments.  She is more optimistic than I am - hopefully she's correct.  Could be many, many things - got to be positive.

Thank you again.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 2:36 PM
Hi Bill - I agree with Rena and had a suspicious bone scan myself at one point, when this was followed up with a pet/ct and mri it had disappeared after a few weeks!  
Bone scans tend to show everything from minor old injuries/arthritis and not just cancer so hope this reassure's you a little and good luck to your wife!

Anna, hi and welcome from me too and congrats on getting through so far and I'm looking forward to chatting with you more here:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Big Bill
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 3:27 PM
Hi Tricia - with each response / comment I feel better.  Thanks to all of you.  Like I said - CT scan was normal, Bone scan was "suspicious" - PET scan last week - results on Wednesday. 
Talk about a looooooooooong weekend.

Thank you again.
Bill

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 5:19 PM
H Anna,
Welcome!  Jump in any place. 

Sending good wishes to your wife,  BB, and hoping for b9 results.
How is it that the days that involve waiting are at least 30 hours long?   

Since Bill posted, I'm curious how long the "aftercare" (bloodwork, scans, ect..) post bc dx is?  Is your wife still getting regular ct scans?
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 15, 2011 5:27 PM
Bill,

The waiting is soo hard for all of us, hang in there and hope this is nothing sinister!!! I got  pet/ct results the same day day and live in Ireland so we're usually far behind you for results, maybe if your wife calls she'll gteb the results sooner??

((((hugs))))

Keep us posted!!!
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Monday, August 15, 2011 5:30 PM>
Carepage- survivortricia

Big Bill
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:29 AM
Tricia - her onc picked a heck of a week to go on vacation.  I just have to look at her and see that she's never looked better to feel confident.  That may not mean anything but you never know.  No pain in the region of the "spot", weight is steady, appetite is good as are her spirits.  Many, many positives............

Chatting has helped greatly - thanks.

Bill

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:07 PM
I'm glad she's feeling so good Bill and do understand about the long wait and how frustrating it is, please let us know what the results are!

Sharon a friend in the U.K has just been discharged from her onc's care after ten years but not sure how long it is in the U.S
Carepage- survivortricia

lwemmer
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:47 PM
Hello, my name is Lori and I was diagnosed with IBC, Her2+ in September 2010 and I was 34 years old at the time of my diagnoses.  I received Chemo at the end of Sept. 2010 and finished in January 2011.  I had a right side modified radical mastectomy in February, actually on Valentine's Day, with 21 lymph nodes removed with 2 positive .  Radiation started in March and ended in May.  I have 2 herceptin treatments left and can't wait for September 14th!  Because of radiation I have not had reconstruction.  I meet with my surgeon in September to determine my next steps for reconstruction.  Due to my age, I will have my left side removed because I cannot think of the possibilities of going through this again.  I am a mother of two girls age 8 and 5.  I have absolutely no family history of breast cancer.  I was very fortunate to have a primary care doctor not mess around with my concerns and after 10 days of meds for mastitis at the end of August, he felt an ultrasound and mammogram were in order, this was September 3rd.  I had a core biopsy September 10th and on the 12th it was confirmed breast cancer.  My scans have all looked good and my bloodwork does too, however it does not relieve my concerns of what the future holds for me.  Thank you for letting me share!

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 30 of 68, messages 581 to 600 of 1351