Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 31 of 68, messages 601 to 620 of 1351
Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:21 PM
Hi Lori and welcome.

I also am her2+ and had herceptin for a year and wanted to suggest you check out this site www.her2support.org   for all the latest treatment on our type of cancer.

Congrats on getting through most of the treatments so far and I'm glad you found us and look forward to chatting with you more here:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Big Bill
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 165
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:13 PM
Rena / Tricia / Anna,

The report from the oncologist wasn't what we had hoped.  Some bone met activity.  Going to start her on zometa or something similar.  He mentioned with her history, clean CT scan and being ER+ that 10+ years was a real possibility.  We're holding out for more.  She needs to be around to see our youngest son get married and our oldest son make her a grandma.

BJ

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:32 PM
Oh Bill I'm sad to read this, was this diagnosis simply from the ct or bone scan and have they mentioned a biopsy???

I take zometa for some bone loss once a year by iv and it's a bone strengthener, do you know if your wife is hormone or her2 positive???  if you know this info there are more treatments available to her to give her far more years than the onc suggests!!!!:)

Feel free to pm me if you need to chat Bill!

Btw, how is your wife coping with this news????  I'm sure any of us would be glad to mail or chat with her here if it helps her through this:)
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:34 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

mary l
  • Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:00 PM
Hi Lori, I am so sorry that you had to find this web site however it is very good that you did as we all have been where you are and will be able to give you the information and hope to get through this fight with this horrible disease.  I was diag. in 2003 with IBC stage IIIB Her2+++.  I was so scared & my son (who was quite young at that time) came over to our house after work and said "Mom you have a 28% chance to beat this and I know you can do it." I will be an 8 year survivor in Oct 2011.  Herceptin saved my life.  I was on it for four years only stopping when it affected my heart.  They do heart scans to see how you are tolerating it.  I stopped my Herceptin 4 years ago this Oct.  I was really afraid it would come back but my scans have all be good and I am very healthy.  Being her2 + is really a blessing now and they are coming out with more her2+ drugs.  I know that with my prognosis I wouldn't be here had it not been for Herceptin.  I am so thankful for Herceptin and my wonderful oncologist.  I want you to feel confident that you can fight this.  You have Herceptin on your side.  Please feel free to private message me as I will be here to help you.  I wish you the very best and will pray for you.   Mary L
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010

Big Bill
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:22 AM
Hi Tricia,

Biopsy this afternoon.  Her onc is a great guy - I trust him completely.  The PET scan showed several spots - not just her rib area that the bone scan highlighted.  He said that it could be paget's and the biopsy will confirm but he seemed confident that it was cancer - AGAIN!  He did mention other meds (something similar to Tamoxifen I think and maybe Arimidex).  He stressed because it has remained in her bone (CT scan for her organs was all clean) and the type of cancer she had that there was real hope for double digit years moving forward.  We were thinking that the cancer had never left her system - even with the chemo, radiation, tamoxifen, femara, etc.  How did all this not kill it?    Why did we not have scans after 5 years, after 8 years?  Can't dwell on that - just move forward.
Her attitude is unbelievable.  She walked in yesterday expecting months - he is giving us years.  It was actually both bad and good news.  He gave us 5 years 10 years ago on here stage IIIA.  Now he is leaning towards another 10 or more.  We'll just go as long as God allows.

Thanks for listening - it really helps.

BJ

Jean Southward
  • Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:50 AM
Bill, I feel badly that the news was not good.  Please know that I wish you both the best and glad your wife is so strong!  That has to help both of you!!  My husband and I traded our worry days.  We both tried to not have the same bad day because we leaned on each other so much.  Wishing you both well.
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:33 PM
Bill,
I add my prayers for your wife.  We would welcome her with loving arms if she wants to join us here.
((((())))))
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:05 PM
Bill, sending good wishes to you both and I hope the biopsy goes well, it's a mystery how some treatments can work for some but not for others with this disease but as you rightly say it's best now to move forward and concentrate on getting back to remission again! Bone mets are the most easily treated and I know quite a few ladies who have a great quality of life and are doing well despite having bone mets. We'll be keeping you both in our thoughts and are here for you both anytime you need to chat!
Carepage- survivortricia

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:38 PM
Hi Bill, How are you both doing ??
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:46 AM
Bill, I'm so sorry about your wife's test results. It sounds as though her oncologist believes that the treatment will keep the cancer in check--I know that has happened for many women with bone mets. I wish you both the very best. She has a wonderful support person in you. All my best, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Big Bill
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:29 AM
Good morning.  1st treatment today (faslodex and xgeva).  He sounds very confident that it can be controlled - inhibit any further growth.  As long as it doesn't move from her ribs I think we have a decent future.  He has always called her his "poster child" for perfect blood work, something we plan on continuing.  Her goal is to beat your 24.

Thanks so much,

BJ

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:38 PM
Hi Bill, I'd agree that once the cancer can be contained by these drugs with no spread there's every chance your wife will catch up with Rena one day which is a goal we all have!!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

beans
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 150
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:00 PM
Hi:  I am not sure how to post yet so I am responding to my original post.  I remember writing that post and feeling so afraid.  The kind words and encouragement helped me.  I had surgery on the 15th of August.  The surgeon removed my right breast.  I was terribly afraid of everything but all went well.  The biopsy of the lymph node was clear.  I may not have to have chemo.  I will know in a few weeks.  One week after surgery the tube and metal stitiches were removed.  I dressed myself to come home from  the hospital.  I am doing really well.  It is shocking of course but I am coping.  I am still trying to process the cancer diagnosis but I am doing okay.  The night before surgery I got past the term mastectomy.  I began to think of it not as removing a breast but as removing tumors.  It made it easier.  I may have reconstruction but not yet. I am just grateful to be finished with the mastectomy.
   I am reading stories here.  I  send prayers and love to all.  Thank everyone for all of your support.  May God Bless all of you.  Sincerely, Susan

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:09 PM
Susan,
So good to hear you are doing well.  Feeling afraid is so normal for that time when you have been just dx's.   Do continue to come and let us know how how you are recovering.
Hope and strength,
Julie
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

Jean Southward
  • Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:29 AM
Let me tell you something about mastectomies.  I heard this before my surgery.  I wasn't having an operation.  I was having a transformation.  I was going to be changed and altered but not disfigured.  I was going to be transformed from a woman with breasts to a woman without breasts.  I was going to be transformed to a woman without cancer.  I was going to be changed emotionally and physically but not for the worse.  I was going to be transformed into something better.  It isn't what they take away from you, it is what they leave behind that matters.  A whole woman.  Transformed.
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 

marianwolf
  • Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:20 AM
Wow -- THAT is awesome!

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:18 PM
Well said Jean and thanks Susan for updating us, I'm glad you're recovering well and great news the nodes were clear!!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Nyx
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 26, 2011 2:34 AM
 Hello:

August 16th I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast.  I am 33 years old and have no family history of breast cancer.  I start chemo Sept 1st for 6 months.  After chemo I will have surgery, I have choosen bilateral mastectomy to lessen the chances of reoccurance.  After surgery I will also have to do radiation.  I was told I am stage 2 borderline stage 3.
I am not sure what else to say, so hello.

~ Nyx
San Diego, CA

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 26, 2011 7:05 AM
Hello Nyx and welcome, I'm so sorry you have been diagnosed with this disease and hope seeing so many ladies doing well having been through a similar experience will give you some confidence going forward. I had IDC too and needed chemo and rads but had a lumpectomy but thankfully that was six years ago now. I hope you'll check out the chemo forum for lots of advice and meet some of the very supportive ladies going through chemo right now. My best wishes to you and please keep us posted! x
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 26, 2011 8:27 AM
Bill, best wishes to you and your wife! It sounds as though she has a very proactive, supportive doctor. My greatest wish, of course, is that they find a cure, But second best would be that everyone have at least as many years as I've had! 
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 31 of 68, messages 601 to 620 of 1351