Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 40 of 68, messages 781 to 800 of 1351
EWright
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 2975
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:29 PM
Hi Rosemelil, it sounds like you have been fighting this disease a very long time and winning!! Congratulations to you. I am only familiar with tamoxifen of all the drugs you mentioned because I take it also. Yes, if you are pre-menoposal, I think it makes sense for you to still be on the tamoxifen. The research regarding the tamox is that it helps most with pre-men women because it helps block our estrogen from feeding the cancer cells if your cells were estrogen positive. It sounds like your dr isn't taking any chances and I think that's great! In my opinion, we should never give cancer the benefit of the doubt...we should always do the most aggressive treatment in order to give ourselves the best odds of survival and no recurrence. You take care and keep up the good fight!! God bless you.
Biop left breast 8-19-10; Diag IDC & DCIS 8-24-10 at age 55; Bilateral Mast with expanders 9-22-10; 2.2 cm grade 2 tumor; SNB 2/2 neg; Stage IIa; Oncotype score 22; Began AC x 4 followed by Taxol x 4 Dose Dense (at 2 week intervals) on 11-10-10; Completed Chemo on 2-23-11; Began taking Tamoxifen on 3-16-11; Silicone implants 5-18-11; Infection in right implant 6-19-11. Implant revision surgery 3-7-12. Grandmother of 2 precious children who are my inspiration to survive!

dday
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:39 PM

I am a newcomer. I do not have cancer. Neither do the people I know. 

I just want to know why Susan G Komen won't fight the FDA on getting a ban on BPA.

That's all I want to know right now.

ckp
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 775
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:39 PM
Hi, my name is Charlie and I was diagnosed today. I posted earlier with what I know...not much...but have gotten no replies. It is all very overwhelming and my head is spinning. Somehow I need to function normally until Monday the 21st when I see the surgeon. Wish I had more info, but maybe it's better I don't know until Monday. I do know one thing...I'm going to quit googling because that just gets me more confused.

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:04 PM
ckp

Hi, my name is Charlie and I was diagnosed today. I posted earlier with what I know...not much...but have gotten no replies. It is all very overwhelming and my head is spinning. Somehow I need to function normally until Monday the 21st when I see the surgeon. Wish I had more info, but maybe it's better I don't know until Monday. I do know one thing...I'm going to quit googling because that just gets me more confused.

I just responded to your other post.  Things will become clearer to you after your visit.  Based on the additional post you had, sounds like you received additional information that helped a little bit.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

clairebarnes
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, June 15, 2012 2:44 AM
Hello  my name is claire. My mom has breast cancer, she was diagnosed lat jan 2007. she undergone 4 cycles of chemo. after her chemotherapy she undergone series of diagnostic exam , and it was found out that it metastasize to her liver. she supposed to have chemotherapy but she refused. and luckily after 5 years shes doing good...just recently shes having persistent cough, and she had her xray and found out its pneumonia. family is scared about it, so the dr. ordered for CT scan of her chest w/ contrast...now we are waiting for her schedule. shes ER/PR negative... I am just sad...

Najla
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, June 15, 2012 3:35 AM
Hi All, 
I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer when I discovered a lump in my left breast this April. I am 42, and have been a fitness trainer for the past 6 years. So you can imagine the shock of the diagnosis when my Dr told me my biopsy results.....

I am undergoing chemo. 2 down and 5 more to go.

Najla

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, June 15, 2012 5:53 AM
Hi Clair  and welcome and I'm very sorry you're so sad right now which is normal of course as you're so worried about your Mom.  It sounds like she's done amazingly well though in surviving the liver met and I really hope the CT does'nt show anything more sinister but we're here for you if you need to chat!Pals
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Noodles
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:41 PM
Somehow I lost my first post. So if this posts twice my apologies in advance. I used to post here about 2 years ago under the caregivers section. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with stage 2. She responded well to treatment and has not had a reoccurrence.

So now I'm scheduled for a core biopsy on 7/11, or earlier if possible. What should I expect afterwards as far as pain? Any suggestions for things to take with me to wear afterwards? My surgeon is about an hour and a half away. Long story about why I've seen one since my first mammo two and a half years ago.

How do you keep from going nuts? The radiologist and my surgeon both kept telling me not to worry. Really?!? You've just told me that the microcalcifications have multiplied and feel that it's time to a biopsy. Who wouldn't be worried? (My mother-in-laws BC was microcalcifications so I may be a bit more sensitive about it.) I guess I just needed to vent a bit but any advice would be welcomed!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:52 PM
Noodles I did'nt have this so cant help but if you begin a new thread on any forum I'm fairly sure someone will reply and help you!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Noodles
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:24 PM
Thanks Tricia. I'll do that now.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:05 PM
:)
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:45 PM
Noodles:  Take a deep breath!   I had a sterotactic (sp?) large needle core biopsy.  I didn't know what to expect so I did a lot of research on it.  Basically you are laying on your stomach on a table with your boob through a hole.  Underneath there is a machine similar to a mammogram that will try to find the calcifications. It's kinda like being hoisted up on a car rack. (lol)   From there the radiologist (in my case) numbs the skin with a local and proceeds constantly injecting more local as they progress.  The sample  is removed with a large needle assisted by a vacuum device.  Afterwords, I had another mammogram, a bandaid over the incision and an ice pack on that.  The hardest parts of all this for me was laying in one position for the time it took to do this and i had to sleep in a bra that night.  I took tylenol for the pain and went back to work the next day.  S  Good luck.
<message edited by scootersmom on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:47 PM>
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

MeganHope
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:12 PM
Hello! My name is Megan Makela. I'm 15 years old and I actually have no personal experience with any family member or family friend having breast cancer. Although, I have and am currently conducting research regarding chemotherapy-induced cognitive changes. I am in the second year of this research and placed 4th in the Behavioral and Social Sciences category of the Florida State Science and Engineering Fair with the help of several women who had undergone chemotherapy treatment. This year, I'm hoping to get my research on a larger scale and I'm hoping to get the "official" help and advice of several large organizations. Even if that's not possible, I would love to get help from others willing to participate in my research. Before I can start collecting participants and their assessment data, I need approval from the review board at my county level. But, I would love to know who and how to contact this organization and even if some would be willing to help me out. Thanks so much!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:08 PM
Megan I dont live in the U.S so really can't advise you but maybe someoen else can!P:)
Carepage- survivortricia

tammy65
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 16, 2012 12:33 PM
Hi my name is Tammy, and I haven't been diagnosed yet. I am concerned however, and was hoping for some input. My last mammo (2nd views) and ultrasound showed a mass. The radiologist said my ob gyn would contact me with a number to call to set up a core biopsy. Today I got the call, but was a little freaked out that she told me to call and set up an appointment with a breast surgeon even before they did the biopsy. Is this the norm??? there is no pain in my breast, so why would they be considering surgery before they even know what it is???? anyone that experienced the same situation? any input is appreciated!!!! thanks!

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 16, 2012 1:09 PM
Hi Tammy,
First try to remember that 80% of breast biopsies are benign.
You may have a fine needle, core, mri or ultrasound assisted,  or if the lump is palpable, a kind of "freehand" , by inserting the needle directly into the mass via  palpation.  Alot has to do with location of the suspicious mass.  If it is deep in the breast near the chest wall, you may be referred to a surgeon for an excisional biopsy.  The term is sometimes used interchangeably with lumpectomy.  But only a surgeon can do this kind of biopsy.
I was referred to a breast surgeon for my biopsy, but in many hospitals and breast centers,  radiologists (for US, MRI, or stereotactic biopsies) or breast surgeons will perform the procedures.

I had an excisional done by the breast surgeon due to the location of my tumor, and on another occassion,  because she was away I had a stereotactic biopsy done by a radiologist.

IMHO it is better to have a surgeon on board at the get-go.  

Try not to panic.  I know easier said than done, because no one ever wants to hear the word biopsy.
Sending hope that your's  is b9!      
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

tammy65
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 16, 2012 3:38 PM
Sharon,

thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate the advice! I know there is no easy way to be patient and wait for results but I guess I will have to be patient and wait for results! wishing you continued health and happiness!!!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 16, 2012 4:54 PM
Tammy this is a good idea as a breast surgeon will know if you really need a biopsy so feel glad that you have good Dr's and hope the results are B9!!!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

GingerAmy
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 385
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:00 PM
Hi! My name is Amy.
I'm not a superstitious person. But friday the 13th really sucks! Here's my story:
Friday the 13th came twice this year, and twice was terrible news for me. April 13th was the dreaded call from a doctor who interpreted my mammogram:" it looks like cancer".
From there, I had a needle core biopsy (a terrible experience). The discovery of stage zero (so they thought) cancer. MRI showed they "got it all". Scheduled a "routine lumpectomy" to obtain clean margins July 3rd. The results: On Friday July 13th my breast surgeon came in and I was laughing and joking with my husband, expecting to hear "smooth sailing", just radiation next and Tamoxifen. Well...nope.
During surgery, which did NOT include any node biopsies, she found a suspicious area, a stage 1 in a duct right next to the inital area of concern. This came out in the pathology report (I believe, or she would have asked my husband, during surgery, if she could remove the sentinel node to see if it had spread).
Now we saw the radiation and medical oncologists, and I had part of the tissue sent to California for an oncotype test to determine what the HECK I do next.
Radiation for sure, with Tamoxifen (early menopause, yea! Not!).
Chemo perhaps.
I just got a new job; I am a nursing supervisor in an assisted living facility .
Everything is in a different perspective.
How do I tell my new boss if I need chemo and get sick? Let alone my appearance...I have very long blonde wavy hair, the poor residents with dementia will be even more confused! Exactly what I fear and dread, standing out from others.
My faith in God has provided me great strength, but everyday i go up and down in emotion.
How do you stay strong for your family?
Not show them your fears?
When I had to tell my daughters (19 & 16) that it wasn't "gone" we all just cried and hugged.
The little ones, thankfully, have a reprieve from "it" (cancer is "it") when they are at their mom's, but they have cried and worry as well.
And my husband, well, he has cried with me but has shown amazing strength and endurance and kicks me in the butt when I need it.
Our families are awesome as well, I can't say it enough.
I have been making friends too...amazing what "it' has brought into my life.
Now I want "it" gone for GOOD!!!
Has anyone else had surgery without node testing then they found more cancer and had to decide what to do?
Sorry to be rambling...this is my intro but never in a MILLION years did i think i'd have to post here!
Lastly, my mom, aunts, and first cousins have ALL had breast cancer. They are BRCA negative thankfully!
Ok, enough about me.
Thank you anyone who endured my ramblings. I have greatly appreciated the posts I have read on chemo and oncotype testing!

GingerAmy
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 385
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:06 PM
P.S.
My husband is amazing...when i composed my intro i sure didn't give him his "due".
The love he has shown me is just amazing, wonderful, beyond compare!
I am one lucky woman!

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 40 of 68, messages 781 to 800 of 1351