Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 41 of 68, messages 801 to 820 of 1351
Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:49 PM
Hi and welcome, I'm sorry for your dx but do you know if you're hormone or her2 positive which can determine what treatment you need and makes it easier for us to advise:) ?? IF it comes down to doing chemo dont worry about the effect on your family as you're doing this to save your life and they'll know this! ((((hugs)))
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

GingerAmy
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 385
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:48 AM
Hi Trish!
Thank you for the welcome!
I am estrogen and progesterone positive (is that what HER stands for? I've been reading so much it's as if I block some things out, but nowhere on my pathology report does it say "HER", although all the docs say it has the estrogen and progesterone receptors, so that's "good" as far as cancer goes?).
Thanks for any insight. I am completely overwhelmed...

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:27 PM
Hi Ginger Amy and hormone positive is good as it means you can take hormone therapy which will help you avoid a recurrance and I still take Arimidex seven years on. The Her gene is another factor but sometimes they don't have the results for the path report but your Dr can tell you if you ask, if positive it means a more aggressive cancer but the good news is there's a drug to combat that called herceptin which was just approved when I was dx but I'm fairly sure the Dr would have mentioned it if you were positive for this.:) I'm so glad you have great family support and don't worry as children and teens are more resilint that we think and will survive this as will you, you dont have to be strong for them as they're probably trying to do the same for you. Its a little quiet today here but hopefully someone else that was in a similar position can help you and please keep us posted!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Deb Allen
  • Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:58 AM
Megan, it may be too late for a response, but I am more than willing to assist an any way I can. Just contact either via this format, or my direct email which is dads1997@embarqmail.com ... My facebook page is found under Debra Bourland Allen, just look for the poodle as my avatar and you've found me. Best of luck to you in your research...
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Dolphin
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:35 PM
DJW

This community may seem overwhelming at first and it may feel like you are joining a conversation in progress. We would love you to introduce yourself! Please introduce yourself to us, give your diagnosis, and tell us where you are in your fight against this awful disease. Someone will respond within a few hours (sooner if during the daytime) and welcome you to this community.

I am a newbie on here as of today. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at Tne end of 2009. Mine was stage 1 no, actually stage 0.A mammogram caught mine and ladies I can't stress enough how important they are! my cancer was caught in time and I elected to have a right breast mastectomy. I had a lumpectomy first and my surgeon recommended a mastectomy otherwise I,would have to possibly have lumpectomies every year. it was the best decision I ever made. I chose not to have reconstruction surgery so I went shopping doe my new mastectomy bras and Betty Boob! I have never been sorry about my decision. I had no chemo or radiation. Was put  on Tamoxifen and I have serious hot flashes and joint pain. I would love to hear from other ladies and their experiences with Tamoxifen. My name Is Charlene, by Tje way and I live in Camden, NC. Feel free to ask questions. I might even learn something. I have a very supportive husband and son that helped me through and helped me make decisions. I am two and a half years cancer free!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, July 30, 2012 10:38 AM
Hi Charlene and welcome, If you check out the hormone therapy forum you'll get more info there I think, I had an ooph to take Arimidex and I'm still on six years later and take Glucosamine/chondroitn for the joint aches and although I do get some hot flashes they're manageable thankfully.:) I was highly triple pos with three nodes affected so needed chemo etc but was happy with my own decision of a lumpectomy, it just goes to show we're all different and whats right for one may not be for another!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

tbrtmm
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 105
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:05 PM
I was dx on AUG 3,2012 with stage 4 breast cancer. I had a tumor in my thyroid. Since then, I have had a mammo, ultrasound, Pet scan - all clear! Nothing on them. I am so confused on how it is can be breast cancer if there isnt anything in my breast. I have a mri sched for next week.  Still waiting on my blood work to come back and the testing for the triple thing. I am still shocked from Dr's saying it was thyroid cancer to stage 4 breast cancer.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:29 AM
Hi, I'm sorry for this diagnosis which I'm sure is made worse by you not having a full picture as yet, it does get easier once you know what you're dealing with and begin treatment and for me it helped me feel more empowered against this disease. I hope they get answers for you very soon and please keep us posted.:)
Carepage- survivortricia

ckp
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 775
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:34 AM
Hi Tbrtmm....first off, big ((HUGGS)) for you, I know what your going through.
Unfortunately I have no pep talk to ease your distress. I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for results, making a plan, etc. I had 3 different surgery's scheduled and then cancelled. I guess the only thing I can tell you is that as much as I thought I was going to go crazy, as much as I thought I just couldn't deal with it all...I did, and now I am recovering from my surgery. Finally!!!
One little bit of advice from my own personal experience tho is trust your docs. But if you don't...get a new one. I had a surgeon and oncology team set up, had quite a few visits, and just decided that they weren't right for me. I realized that my life was just too important to settle for whatever doctor I was sent to.
I know this can be tough depending on your insurance, but if it is the least bit possible, do it if you need to!! I am soooooo happy I did. The surgeon I have now is a Godsend!
Good luck next week!

~ charlie
Dx : 5/16/2012 Left breast Infil. tubular carcinoma 2cm Grade 2 Stage 1 ER+ PR+ Her2-
Dx : 6/5/2012 Right breast Infil. lobular carcinoma 1.5cm Grade 2 Stage 1 ER+ PR- Her2-
Bilateral mastectomy, TE's, and sentinel node biopsy 8/6/2012

Nodes - 0/6 :) 

Maureen1
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 760
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, August 17, 2012 9:15 PM
I'm not sure what to say yet...it is all so new to me. In May 2012 I had a normal mammogram but in June I found a lump in my left breast. Believing it was "just another cyst", I've had so many over the years...I saw my surgeon 3 weeks ago and my life changed. I went for an ultrasound a few days later to verify that it was a cyst but it was not...the radiologist stepped into the room and told me it was a "mass" and there were abnormal axillary lymph nodes as well. Two days later I had the core needle biopsy and three days later I was told it was breast cancer...One week ago I had a lumpectomy with axillary node dissection - 3 nodes were positive and I had an invasive breast cancer, a ductal cell carcinoma in situ and lobular carcinoma in situ. Today I had a PET scan while at the same time, in another hospital... my mom died of breast cancer...Next week I see the surgeon to get the drain out, have an MRI to see if I have breast cancer or lobular carcinoma in the other breast, see the oncologist to talk about how to fight this, and bury my mom. Life will never be the same...

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:14 AM
Maureen I'm so very sorry and my sympathy on the loss of your Mom at this time, there's never a good time of course but I know its bound to be harder with your own diagnosis. I also had positive nodes and still doing fine seven years out and there are many long term survivors here so do take confidence from that, chemo was no picnic but is do able and please check out the chemo forum for lots of tips to help you through and we're all here to offer support to you at this sad time. (((((hugs))))
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:57 AM
Maureen:

I am so sorry for the events that are happening all at the same time.  There aren't words that can explain what I am feeling over the news that you got all at once.

You are so right about life never being the same.  It's going to be tough for you to focus on your own health when grieving is happening.  It will take alot of time but you will make it.

I wish you well.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:29 AM
So very sorry Maureen that you are hit with these two devastating situations all at once!!  First, I'm sorry for the loss of your mom and cannot express my sympathies in a way that will make it any better.  It is a process that will get easier as time goes on, but you will always miss her.

If you can, try very hard to concentrate on your diagnosis and healing and think of your mom as an angel looking over you and protecting you.  It is all we can do -- 

Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Maureen1
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 760
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:52 AM
Tricia, Tina and Elaine...thanks so much for your kind words and support. You have already made me feel like I am not so alone in this. It was very touching to think of my mom as "my angel" right now, maybe she is looking over me...thank you for saying that. And thanks for reminding me to focus on healing...I will definitely need chemo and radiation, and if my other breast has LCIS then probably a bilateral mastectomy so my journey is just beginning. I will check the chemo forum for advice, I just don't know what to expect and am afraid of the damage that chemo and radiation treatments might cause the rest of my body? I've always been so healthy - only saw doctors for my "annuals"...

Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your wisdom with newcomers like me...Maureen

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:46 PM
Maureen - The thought of chemo and/or radiation scares the s&^t out of all of us!  My experience with both was not physically horrible except for the hair loss and a funny taste in my mouth - and black toenails!  I did not suffer from nausea or fatigue and even continued to go to the gym a few times a week.  I don't know why I got lucky.  I went into it assuming I would have no serious side effects. After my frst infusion I went out for Mexican food!  As if I were just daring it to make me nauseas :)

Emotionally it can be tough, but that's one of the things this damn disease does -- it makes us tough!  And we become warriors!

So go into it assuming it won't be bad, and ready to attack any problem.  Be sure to not try to do this alone.  No matter how small, if you have a question or you don't feel well, CALL YOU DOCTOR ask for help....they have meds for everything from nausea to insomnia to depression....  When your family and friends offer their help, say YES THANK YOU.  Thisi is about you getting better, it is not about you tryng make others feel better, which is something we do so naturally.  

We are here -- 24/7 any time you need us (and so is your Mom - your new angel).

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:12 PM
Maureen I know there are minor risks with any cancer treatments but I was pleased to take the risk rather than face a recurrance of cancer, my type was aggressive so my Dr's agreed to treat it the same way and I'm very pleased now that they did although at the time it seemed I'd never get through it. I think too once you begin the treatments it'll get a little easier as you feel you're fighting back, please feel free to ask any amount of questions you need to as we're all agreed here there's no such thing as a silly question when it comes to this disease. The modern radiation machines too are so precise that they hit only the targeted area and I found rads to be a breeze and hope you do too and good luck this week and do keep us posted! x
Carepage- survivortricia

Rosemary54
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 120
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:38 AM
My name is Rose and I am 58 years old. I found a lump in my left breast in July. It felt big to me but was apparently small in the grand scheme of things. I had biopsy and then wide excision lumpectomy with node sampling August 30th. 
Stage I grade 2, negative nodes, Triple negative (PR weakly positive). BRAC 2 +.

I am scheduled to start C/T chemo on 9/27 (4 rounds 3 weeks apart). I am going to opt out of the neulasta injections at this point.

I would appreciate any and all support and information. I do have to work through this treatment and am considering BM with immediate reconstruction post chemo. 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:50 AM
Hi Rose and welcome although I'm sorry you had to join us, is there a reason as to why you're opting out of the neulasta shots?? I only ask because if you're going to be working and in close proximity to people on a daily basis your risk of infection will be high with a low white cell count which could be risky. If you check out the chemo forum you'll get lots more advice and tips to help you through and feel free to begin a new thread anytime with any questions you may have. I personally found chemo to be doable as do most members here although obviously no picnice, my biggest side effect was extreme fatigue but everyone is different of course, good luck and do keep us posted!
Carepage- survivortricia

LisaD
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:19 PM
Hi, I am brand new to this site and technologically challenged. Thought it would be a good idea/forum to vent some of my frustrations (waiting for Oncotype Dx to get on with treatment)and learn new info.
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, September 24, 2012 1:57 AM
Hi Lisa and welcome and feel free to jump in anywhere and do keep us posted on your results of the Oncotype!
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 41 of 68, messages 801 to 820 of 1351