Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 43 of 68, messages 841 to 860 of 1351
sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 8:11 AM
Chelle,
You may want to ask to have a social work consult.  If your doc recommended radiation treatments and you cannot afford them, or are uninsured,  there are resources.  Also try calling your local Komen affiliate or Livestrong.  See my "patient advocate" post on the insurance forum too. 
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 3:07 PM
Chelle it used to be thought that rads were not needed after a mast but these days the thinking is that is does help, please take Sharonma's advice above and keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

tradecker
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 4:22 PM

tradecker
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 4:25 PM
Hey there Everyone -

My name is Tammy and I have Breast Cancer!!!  (I know - sounds like an AA Meeting! lol)

Anyway, I was diagnosed back in June.  I had just had all my yearly visits, i.e. gyno, mammo, primary care physician, eye doc., etc.  Lo and behold my mammo came back suspicious.  Well, we all know the story from there.  I was diagnosed with Stage 1, Triple Positive in right breast.  I chose a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction one month ago.  I am doing GREAT!!!!!  Everyone was amazed at how quickly I healed. 

Now, this is the part where I get scared.  I go tomorrow to get my port put in.  I attend Chemo School at the end of the week and Chemo starts next week.  I honestly have to say I would rather go through 10 surgeries than chemo.  Why am I so afraid of Chemo when I did so well (emotionally and physically) with surgery???

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 9:30 PM
Hi Tammy. You know, I think that what you're feeling is completely normal. Chemo is really the unknown, and of course we always hear the the worst possible stories. But your doctor will be able to give you medications to prevent nausea, and there are a lot of things you can do to deal with side effects. If you go to the chemo forum on this site, you can ask all your chemo-related questions and get lots of good advice from other people here. One thing I want to say is that it's important not to suffer in silence. If you feel very nauseated or if you have any other side effects that are really troublesome, let your doctor know right away. It could be something as simple as increasing your dose of the anti-nausea meds or changing to a different one. I wish you the best and hope that it's smooth sailing for you.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

October: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, October 15, 2012 10:33 PM
Boston College students want to promote awareness.  In support, please like this page!!!

http://www.facebook.com/OctoberBreastCancerAwarenessMonth5

Margo Rey
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:40 PM
Hello, my name is Margo Rey and I am a breast cancer survivor. I love hearing everyone’s encouraging words and stories. If you, or someone you know, are battling this disease, just know that you are not alone. The road to recovery is not an easy one, but you will get there. Just be patient, and stay strong.

I want to share this video with you because it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Please, share it with all of your family and friends so together we can beat breast cancer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBNsKZ698ZE&feature=plcp

Selina
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 19, 2012 7:37 AM

<message edited by Selina on Friday, October 19, 2012 7:46 AM>

jayneoc
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 1340
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 19, 2012 3:39 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Jayne and I’m 42 years old. I had a mastectomy of my left breast in July. The cancer had not spread to my lymph nodes, but I was HER2+ in one spot and estrogen receptive in the other 3. I'm doing 6 treatments of Carboplatin/Paclitaxel/Herceptin over 18 weeks (one every three weeks with Neulasta after) plus Herceptin once a week during the chemo and then every 3 weeks for a year after. I believe I’ll have hormone therapy after that. So far I’ve had one chemo treatment and #2 will be next week. It’s not as bad as I’ve thought it would be (hopefully it will stay that way). But I swear if one more person asks me if I’ve lost any hair yet, I’ll scream!

Rena
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 19, 2012 9:35 PM
Hi Jayne and welcome. I'm glad to hear that your first chemo went well. As for people asking about your hair, I don't know what to say--and apparently neither do they! It might be better if they just said nothing at all, huh? I really hope that the rest of your treatments go smoothly. Herceptin is one of the few "miracle drugs" that have come along, and it has made a huge difference for women with HER-positive tumors. Please keep us posted and stop in whenever you want some support or information. If you have specific questions about chemo, the chemo forum on this site is great. All my best wishes for you.
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

jayneoc
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 1340
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:25 PM
Thanks Rena. I tell them they'll know when the hair has started to fall out because I'll be bald with a hat on!

deeva333
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:00 PM
hello, i don't know if its appropriate to introduce myself at this time because i have not YET been diagnosed but there is a possibility, i will be visiting a breast surgeon on monday because of abnormal mammo and 3 abnormal sono within 6 month there are 2 nodules in my right breast 1 which has grown within the last 6 months so my dr did not want to wait an additional 6 months for another abnormal sono, i have been fine and haven't put much thought to the possibility of what it could be until today. its kind of bothering me now, any ways my name is Dianna and i would like to hear from someone who has gone through similar situations and also to read stories from everyone else . thank you 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:34 PM
Hi Dianna and welcome and I just wanted to send good wishes for B9 results for you and it sounds like you have a wonderful Dr, if nothing else he's determined you get a diagnosis asap which is good news! Please keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:16 PM
Hi Dianna,

I would say welcome, but hoping that we DON"T welcome you into the club no one wants to join, as we like to say :)  You have good doc, that's for sure....keep us updated on your diagnosis.  Meanwhile, we'll all be hoping for the word "benign" to be all over the reports.

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

deeva333
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:48 PM
ElaineQW

Hi Dianna,

I would say welcome, but hoping that we DON"T welcome you into the club no one wants to join, as we like to say :)  You have good doc, that's for sure....keep us updated on your diagnosis.  Meanwhile, we'll all be hoping for the word "benign" to be all over the reports.

Hug
Elaine

thank you Elaine i am also hoping for that word Benign but i am ready for what life has in store for me !! i will be updating for sure i should have more info on monday 

Dianna

deeva333
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Tricia Keegan

Hi Dianna and welcome and I just wanted to send good wishes for B9 results for you and it sounds like you have a wonderful Dr, if nothing else he's determined you get a diagnosis asap which is good news! Please keep us posted!

thank you so much  tricia, yes i must say he did make the right decision not wanting to wait an additional 6 months thanks for the wishes will repost on monday !xxxx fingers crossed 

Dianna

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 26, 2012 12:36 AM
Dianna, Glad you found us! Hope you have a peaceful weekend. If they decide to do a biopsy, don't freak out...80% of biopsies are benign. Try to not do to much research...and stick to the major ones...others can be very outdated so the information is wrong. Here and www.breastcancer.org are good ones.....but hoping you need neither of these. Will be looking for your update on Monday! Hope and Strength!
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

Beatlesrock603
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 16, 2012 3:24 PM
Hi. My name is Michele, I'm a 32 year old female. Happily married with two beautiful little boys ages 8 and 9. A few months ago I found a mass on my left breast. I did what any woman would have done and went to my PCP, from there I was sent to the breast care center, I had an ultrasound done and a mammogram done, I met with a breast surgeon and was cleared. I have never heard of IBC before today and I am still concerned about the tenderness in my left breast that seems to come and go, tho I don't feel the "mass
 it's still tender to the touch, no warmth or redness, but I've had past issues with itchiness of the nipple area and entire breast. I have a sever problem with anxiety so I'm never sure what is an actual symptom of an illness and what is just my anxiety playing tricks on me. I'm looking for any advice on what I should do next. I felt so much better after having the mammogram and ultrasound, but that was before hearing about IBC now I'm back into panic mode. Please any help is greatly appreciated. My grandmother (my mother's mother) had breast cancer, and I lost my father a year ago from complications after his lung was removed because of stage 4 lung cancer. My gene pool is a cancer ridden nightmare, and it's literally on my mind 24/7

Rena
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 16, 2012 5:33 PM
Hi Michele. I'm glad you posted your concerns. No matter what, the most important thing is that you feel confident that you've gotten the right diagnosis. I'm glad that your doctor pursued things with the mammo and ultrasound, but if you still feel anxious and want more certainty, there are a few things you can do. You can seek a second opinion, or you can go back to the breast surgeon and voice your concerns. I don't know much about IBC, except that it presents differently than a discrete tumor does. The other thing is that young breast tissue is more dense, so the mammogram is not always the best tool. You could request a baseline breast MRI--keeping in mind that MRIs sometimes result in false positives, which then can lead to a biopsy. There's no simple answer. It does sound as those your symptoms have subsided, but YOU have to be comfortable and confident. If you liked the breast surgeon and felt that he/she is someone you can talk to and who will take your concerns seriously, then my opinion is that it makes sense to go back and talk it over. He or she may be able to put your mind at ease about IBC. Good luck!
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 16, 2012 5:54 PM
Hi Jayne, I was triple pos when dx seven years ago and did the year of herceptin etc, unlike you I had positive nodes! Good luck with the treatments and remember your hair will grow again and this is all temporary! You may like to check out www.her2support.org
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 43 of 68, messages 841 to 860 of 1351