Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 44 of 68, messages 861 to 880 of 1351
JillyJill
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 19, 2012 7:11 PM
Hi:
I am Jill. My daughter was diagnosed last week with DCIS grade 3 w/necrosis and is having a double mastectomy this Wednesday, a week after her diagnosis. Family history extensive on father's side. She is 36 years old.  They will check nodes and genetic test. Just learning what all this entails. Most important, she has 5 children, 3 of which are 3 and under. Any  info on what to do to care for her would be greatly appreciated. or please refer me if I am in the wrong place.

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 19, 2012 8:37 PM
Hi Jill. I'm sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. She has a lot on her plate with five young children, so I'm sure that anything you can do to help with the children will be most welcome. I remember one of the most frustrating things after my mastectomy was not being able to lift my two-year-old daughter for a while. She was too young to understand why I wouldn't pick her up, so having loving family members around will help a lot. 

As for information, I think that the best site for general information is breastcancer.org. They touch on pretty much any topic you can imagine. They also have a good list of questions to ask the doctor.

For support and ideas for coping (both physically and emotionally), the message boards here are great. If your daughter has questions about the double mastectomy and the aftermath, the surgery board here would be helpful. Also, there is a wonderful woman named Sharon who will send you daughter little drain pouches for after her surgery. Ask just about anyone who's had this surgery, and they'll tell you that the drains are very annoying. Sharon's pouches really help. I'll send her a note and ask her to respond here, and maybe she can send them for your daughter. 

I wish your daughter and the whole family well.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:45 AM
Rena, I sent Jill a pm
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:27 AM
Thanks, Sharon!
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:51 PM
Jill:

i am sorry for your daughter's diagnosis.  She will need a great deal of assistance when she gets home.  She won't be able to move her arms much depending on if she is having reconstruction or lymph nodes removed.  It will truly be an emotional time so be prepared.  As the others have said, the drains are a pain.  Try to make sure that she has a comfortable area when she gets home.  I found it difficult to sleep in my bed as I could not lay flat.  I had to be inclined because of the drains.  I had a great deal of pillows propping me up but then my back and neck would hurt.  I spent a week going from the bed to the recliner and back again.  Once the drains were removed I was able to get a little more comfortable.  I wish her well with her surgery.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Wintersmom
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:03 AM
Hi All,

I am having problems posting on my computer. I am newly diagnosed with breast cancer. I has a lumpectomy and testing determined the cancer has spread to my Lymphnodes. My first appointment with my Oncologist will be next Friday. The wait is the hardest part as you all know

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:04 PM
Hi Wintersmom and welcome, I'm so sorry for your diagnosis but it does get easier once you know exactly what you're dealing with and begin a treatment plan. I hope your appt goes well this week and please keep us posted as there are many ladies here happy to offer support to you through this and answer any questions you may have.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

amywolfie
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 310
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:11 PM
Hello, everyone! I am a two-time survivor and I am very glad to have found this forum site. I wrote a memoir about my second experience with breast cancer (and more), which I think can give fellow survivors and survivors-to-be a good laugh. I know not everyone is interested in a memoir (or spending money), but in case you have an interest, it's titled Don't Let Me Die In A Motel 6, it's an Amazon.com Kindle eBook, and it's FREE until Wednesday (12/5/2012) - http://tinyurl.com/a8tkfya. Thanks! I've been having trouble posting to the forum, so if this shows up, but I'm not able to reply again for a while, please forgive!

cindiloo
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 115
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:56 PM
Hi I am newly dx ALH. Meeting the onc after Xmas--working with naturopath onc as well. AI's are recommended and the SE's scare me so bad--how on earth can someone work on these hormonal chemo drugs with no sleep, hot flushes and severe body aches? And now the reports came out for all of us to go on them for 10 years! Holy schmoly...this is already comsuming my life and I HATE IT! Going in for BRCA1,2 test as well. Mom had bc and died 13 years after tx and mast's..gramma had it and so did her sister...all over my family. How do you cope with the SE's??? thanks, Cindi

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 07, 2012 12:44 AM
Cindi, Sometimes we cope one day at a time. Some of my aches and pains I don't know if it is due to the AI or just aging. Not everyone has side effects, some have none and some have more and usually they decrease after a few months. There are 3 different kinds of AI's and the old stand by Tamoxifen so if one of them gives you exceedingly bad SE you can always ask your onc to change you to another. For me taking that pill everyday gives me power to feel I am still fighting and if I chose not to take it (and my chance of recurrence is small) and the bc returned I would feel full of guilt. We each need to decide for ourselves what we will be prepared to do. Hope and Strength.
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

cindiloo
  • Reward points : 115
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 07, 2012 8:51 AM
Thanks so much for the encouraging words this morning. You are right--my fear has taken a hold of me. I am preparing my silly old body for this--exercise,loosing weight, yoga, meditation, herbals..you name it. I got off all bio-identicals and of course hot flashes galore...but I need to mentally and physically get ready for this--did you do this? Also, I've noticed that when you tell people about this they start acting weird around you and back off of calling, coming over...etc. So I've kept all this to myself. Hubby is very supportive and has noticed the same thing. sigh...off to the classroom...hugs new friend..thanks so much!
<message edited by cindiloo on Friday, December 07, 2012 8:52 AM>

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 07, 2012 2:31 PM
Cindi I take an A1 (Arimidex ) and after my five years were up I chose to keep taking it another two at least, I do have some side effects of course but prefer those to the alternative of a recurrance! I should say I had an aggressive triple positive cancer that had already spread to the nodes and so was glad to treat this aggresively and thankfully seven years on I'm still fine. I just wanted to tell you that not everyone gets bad side effects and if you do, even changing the time of day you take it can help so do keep an open mind:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 07, 2012 3:25 PM
Cindi: Chalk it up to people are just WEIRD! You will find that during this journey you will see friends become strangers and strangers will become friends. Just as it is hard for us to grasp what is happening to our bodies and trying to come to grips with it, others are petrified. They don't know what to say so they back away. Some of it could be guilt (I hope not) as they could be thinking OMG! that could be me or my wife or thank God it's not happening to me. I've had so called friends tell me after they found out my diagnosis "I thought my life was shit and then I heard about you." What do you say to that: Um, thanks. Glad I can help? I'm glad that your husband is there for you and we are here for you as well. Good luck with the oncologist appointment.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

UPTOU
  • Reward points : 585
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:57 AM
good morning. not sure how to start .. after 20 years of not going to the doctor my husband felt a lump in my right breast , i put off getting in checked for a year now but i have been feeling very tired and my upper back and neck pain have increased (auto accident 1991) so i thought start with the newest change first , the lump. so anyway had a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound yesterday and the dr came in after the altrasound and said it is cancer and has not spread to the lymph nodes. i have a biopsy next friday , the info i see on line says that a biopsy will say if it is cancer or not , can they know without a biopsy? she told me it would tell what kind of cancer it is? any input would be helpful to me I am really scared of what comes next.

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:27 AM
Hi Uptoyou,  Sorry you had to join us, but glad you found us.  To answer your question: Yes, a biopsy will confirm if it is cancer or not and will tell what kind of cancer it is (hormone, Her2, BRCA)  They are differnt and are treated differentally when it comes to meds.  I think the final word on lymph nodes comes during surgery when they remove a few nodes and test them.

Please keep up posted on your progress and come back to ask anything that pops into your head.  Also, be sure to ask you doctor anything you want and dont dismiss any question as "silly" or "not important"  If it occurs to you, then it is already important :)

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

UPTOU
  • Reward points : 585
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:39 AM
So there is a chance that it not cancer than? the doc made it sound like the biopsy  was to find out what kind it was but if there is still hope that it is not cancer i can cling to that for the next week and a half. and thanks for the welcome need to ask someone and the folks on here seem to have been though it all

mary l
  • Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:11 PM
Hello and welcome to Komen.  I think Elaine said it all.  They will do a biopsy to find our if it is cancer and what kind of cancer it is. It is so hard to wait for the final diagnosis.  We are all here for you.  I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.    Mary
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:59 PM
Welcome.  I too agree with what others have said.  The biopsy will reveal information that a mammogram just can't tell.  There are many different types of breast cancer and if it truly comes back positive this will help direct your course of treatment.  It really is hard to wait for results so try to refocus your mind as much as possible.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

amywolfie
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 310
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:16 PM
Agree with what others have said, the biopsy will determine if it's cancer or not, and if it is, what kind. I'm still having problems logging in, so forgive me for not participating more. If anyone's interested, I wrote a memoir about my experience with breast cancer (plus foreclosure, the WaMu Bank collapse, and other less-than-optimal near-simultaneous experiences), and it's currently on sale for $0.99 at Amazon.com - http://tinyurl.com/a8tkfya. Best of luck to everyone -- hang in there! Amy

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:45 PM
The only way to tell if this is cancer is a biopsy and your Dr was wrong to indicate otherwise, over 80% of breast lumps are benign and hoping yours is too!!
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 44 of 68, messages 861 to 880 of 1351