Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 46 of 68, messages 901 to 920 of 1351
Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:08 PM
Hi. I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but the news so far sounds good. The test you mentioned about passing it to your children is genetic testing for a genetic mutation called BRCA. There are two types: BRCA 1 and 2. If you have the mutation, you have a 50-percent chance of passing it on to your children. It's a simple blood test. I tested positive for BRCA2, but my daughter tested negative, so I had not passed it on to her. Someone with the mutation has an increased risk for certain cancers, especially breast and ovarian in women and prostate in men. But it doesn't mean that they WILL get cancer--just that the risk is increased. I hope that you test negative and have one less thing to be concerned about. I wish you all the best.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:59 PM
Uptoyou, as Rena said its all looking goodso far for you and please keep us posted and I'm sorry for your diagnosis. xx
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

UPTOU
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 585
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:30 PM
Thanks glad it's just a blood test...wish i really new what to expect next .

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:20 PM
UPTOU, The waiting is always the hardest part. Glad you found a good dr that you like and trust. Keep resting and let us know how you are doing. Hope and Strength!
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

adrushing
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 175
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:03 AM
Hi, I'm Alicia from Arkansas. I was diagnosed in August with stage 2 breast cancer. I have completed six rounds of chemo and my MRI shows that my cancer is now 9mm, reduced from 2.1cm. I will be having a double mastectomy since I test positive for BRCA1.

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:45 AM
Welcome Alicia! Maybe check out the surgery thread for some helpful tips and suggestions...and also support. Great that the chemo worked so well! Let us know when your surgery is scheduled. Hope and Strength!
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:08 PM
Hi Alicia and I'd echo Julie's advice to you :)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

mommajenta
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:44 AM
HI,

My name is Donna and I was just diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday.  I have a 3.2 cm painful mass in my right breast, and the biopsy also showed cancer in the armpit, too.  I don't know anything yet, I have an appt with the breast surgeon on the 23rd.  I lost my son 2 years ago, and it was a hard road, but I have been in a really good place emotionally and physically in the last few months.  I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers, and have felt so good.  Then this happened.  I don't want to die yet.  I wish a dr could see me sooner, but they are all booked and I have an HMO.  I came online because I am literally freaking out and wanted to see others who have survived and find out tips on how to get through this.

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:45 AM
Hi Donna - First let me say I'm so sorry about your son and now this news.  It just doesn't seem fair, but life is life....sometimes we just don't have control!  

I'm happy you found us.  Here we are a group of amazing women who have all been through (or are going through) the doors that breast cancer opens.  You can come here and talk about anything!!  Feel free to vent, rage, share, ask questions, etc.  You will always find someone who had a similar experience.

Many of us are survivors and doing very well.  I hate that you have to wait to see the doc.  The waiting is always difficult...we even have a thread on the form called "The Waiting Room".

It's wonderful that you lost so much weight and are in good shape...this will be very helpful.  If you can, take someone with you to doc appts.  A second set of ears is always helpful since sometimes we tend to tune out because we're so shell-shocked!  

What you want first and foremost is an accurate diagnosis....what type of breast cancer (hormone positive, Her-2, triple negative?).  What are your treatment options?  Are you considering reconstruction if you have a mastectomy?  What type of reconstruction?  

I know this must seem overwhelming and you can take one thing at a time.  Breastcancer.org is a good link for information.  

Please keep us posted on your progress.  The "Sound Off" thread is the one that gets the most attention for general questions. 

Hug
Elaine
P.S.  I was diagnosed in 2008, hormone positive, 9.5 cm tumor!!  Mastectomy, chemo and radiation. Arimidex for five years or longer.  Doing great! 

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Anna Rae
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 5940
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:56 PM
Dear Donna,

So far, we have just about everything in common...  I am so sorry about it all.

If you ever want to talk, send PM with your phone number and best time to call. 

You are not alone my dear.

Like Jerry said, What a long, strange trip it's been... 

DCIS Stage 0, Right Side Unilateral Mastectomy -  May 14, 2010
HER2+ BC Stage 3C, Right Side Lymph Nodes - 6 Months Later
End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annaraebamberggilder

Anna Rae

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:39 PM
Donna-Nice to meet you.  As Elaine said there are many people here who have been where you are now.  It is overwhelming at times but we are here to help you as well.

Congratulations on the weight loss and sorry about the death of your son.  You made the comment "I don't want to die yet".  Breast cancer treatments have come along way.  There are many long term survivors on this site who post daily.  

Hopefully you can find something to occupy your mind during this waiting period.  That is one thing we all have in common: Waiting for any testing or results SUCKS!

Good luck with your meeting.  Ask as many questions as you can and make sure that you are comfortable with the doctor.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

tuxtails
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 280
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 18, 2013 6:05 PM
I'm Toni and I was diagnosed a week ago that I have breast cancer. DCIS Stage 0, Grade 3. I am having sugery this Monday, January 21, lumpectomy. I feel very fortunate that it is Stage 0, but I know that the rules in this ballgame can change once they get the pathology report back. In can be invasive. This is what scares me. After surgery, if all goes well, it is then radiation and I am fine with that. The uncertainty is difficult. It has been amazing and touching all of the concern and compassion I have received, even from people I don't know! What I am seeing on this site is alot of STRONG women and I wish the best to all of you!

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:31 AM
Toni:

Welcome and good luck with your surgery.  Praying for clean margins for you.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Anna Rae
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 5940
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:26 PM

Welcome to "The Club".... 

__________________________
                                                                               Your Name 

OFFICIAL MEMBER  

STRONG, BRILLIANT, BEAUTIFUL 
              WOMEN OF THE WORLD!
                                                 Who just happened to have been diagnosed with breast cancer 

<message edited by Anna Rae on Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:41 PM>
Like Jerry said, What a long, strange trip it's been... 

DCIS Stage 0, Right Side Unilateral Mastectomy -  May 14, 2010
HER2+ BC Stage 3C, Right Side Lymph Nodes - 6 Months Later
End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annaraebamberggilder

Anna Rae

coach21
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:06 AM
My name is Edward Cook I have spent the last 11 months working on a motorcycle & sidecar to promote breast cancer awareness...This was done for no one person in mind or any particular reason. It came to me in a very strange way one day so I proceeded to follow through with the idea. Please feel free to email for a few pix or you have any questions, I would be happy to answer & help in anyway possible.
Ed

Laura5
  • Reward points : 185
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:16 PM
I just want every women who is facing chemotherapy to be aware of cold cap therapy. I used Penguin cold caps through 6 rounds of TCH and kept all of my hair.  Keeping my hair made a huge difference to my state of mind. It allowed me to keep my privacy.

Wintersmom
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 25, 2013 7:23 AM
Hi Laura I already lost my hair and am starting Taxol. I wonder if this would prevent further hair loss and let my hair start to grow back now ?
Hi Ton and Donna... good luck I will keep you in my thoughts. Keep us posted
Donna
Mother of Winter

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 25, 2013 7:33 AM
Hi Wintersmom, my hair began to grow back on Taxol anyway, I've known a few people who used the cold cap and it didn't work, one of my friends held on to some hair but it was patchy and thin in places and looked far worse than if she had lost it.!
Carepage- survivortricia

Laura5
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 25, 2013 7:58 PM
Donna, I am not sure. You could pose that question to Penguin. Their website is:     www.msc-worldwide.com

Laura5
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 25, 2013 8:03 PM
Tricia, Your friend probably did not use Penguin cold caps. I kept all of my hair using them.  Take a look at the cold cap thread on www.breastcancer.org  and you will find many very happy cold cap users.  I certainly would not be trying to spread the word about them if they had not worked for me.

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 46 of 68, messages 901 to 920 of 1351