Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 48 of 68, messages 941 to 960 of 1351
swinkie55
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 480
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:03 PM
Got my pathology report back today.  Good news is my lymph nodes are clear however one of my margins came back positive and I have to have re-incision surgery this Friday February 16th.  Dr told me she can do re-incision surgery twice before we will have to do a mastectomy. But until the margins all comeback negative we cannot start radiation treatment.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:39 AM
Just replied more on the Feb surgery thread Swinkie!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:49 AM
good luck with the reincision. Hope for clean margins this time.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

ChristieAnne
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:49 PM
I am 41 yrs old and just diagnosed with breast cancer on Valentine's Day.  I am a single mother to my 3 daughters (ages 18, 8, 5).  I don't know what stage I'm in yet, but it appears to be fairly early by the results of the biopsies.
I'm scared for my daughters.  I'm scared because I will have to give up my job and will have no income coming in at all, not even child support.
I need a clear head to stay positive in this battle, however I have so many worries that I can't get rid of aside from the cancer. 

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:03 PM
Hi Christie. I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I know that you must have a thousand things running through your mind right now. It will be a little easier when you have all the facts and know exactly what you need to do. I don't understand, though, why you'll have to quit your job. It's often very possible to work right through this process, as long as you can take time off for medical appointments. What is your work situation? Also, don't be shy about asking for help. There are numerous organizations that can help, starting locally with your church, if you have one, as well as national organizations like Komen, the American Cancer Society, etc. But I think that finding local organizations that help women dealing with cancer is often the best bet. I saw that you live near Portland, Maine, and with a Google search, I found this site: http://www.cancercommunitycenter.org/. It looks like they have good support programs, and even if they don't offer financial help, they probably can advise you about what's available in your area. It's really good not to feel alone in this process. I wish you the best.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Laura5
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 185
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 18, 2013 9:07 AM
Gail, Losing your hair is not a given. I used Penguin cold caps and kept my hair.

Wintersmom
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 18, 2013 12:05 PM
Hi Gail & Christie,

I am new here also. I am on Chemo Treatments. I have been out of work since December. I am lucky that my Employer does offer short term disability. I am glad that I was able to take the time off during the first 4 sessions of chemo, but I honestly feel like there were very few days that I could not work. Now that I have started Taxol I am begging to go back to work. I am ready to get out of the house and have something to do other than cleaning the house.
I did lose my hair, but I have nice wigs to wear and I wear hats and scarves around the house or nothing at all. I expected the worst and it was much better than  expected. I was amazed an what I could and can handle. I think we are all much stronger than we think.
Good luck, be strong and take care of yourself
Donna
Mother of Winter

rosieg
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 370
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, February 22, 2013 10:35 AM
Hello my name is Rosie and i was diagnosed with breast cancer in december 2012. i am 49 years old . I had a mascetomy to remove my left breast on Jan.15, 2013 and i will have my first dose of chemo this coming tuesday. I am beyond scared . I need emotional support and dont know where to begin looking. Everyone tells me to stay positive, thats easier said than done. I feel alone and i am scared of the side effects of the chemo. Are the side effects a posibbility or everyone gets them? My cancer is stage 2-A, what does that mean? please anypone emial me rosiegarza20@yahoo.com  or you cna reply to this messege. thanks you

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, February 22, 2013 2:20 PM
Rosie the stage just means the tumour was 2cm or just below and the a indicates no lymph nodes had cancer, not everyone gets side effects from chemo and if you do there's usually a med to help counteract it so be sure to tell them and also make sure to take all your anti nausea meds as directed. I replied on your other posts too and you're with friends here and we all made it and so will you so try not to be scared as you'll be fine.:) Here is the link to the chemo forums http://apps.komen.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=44
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Friday, February 22, 2013 3:36 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Linas_mom
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, February 22, 2013 8:20 PM
My name is Marina, I'm 28 yrs old. I was diagnosed with stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma in my left breast on November 28, 2012. I have 3 tumors that total 4.6 cm and no positive lymph nodes. I haven't had surgery yet but I'm currently going through chemo. I'm engaged to my best friend and the father of my only child. He has been such a great cheerleader for me. He has stood behind every decision I've made. My 4 yr old daughter is my world. She is the reason why I continue to stay positive and my strength for my fight everyday. It's been a little tough on her to see mommy change so much in the past 2 months, I cut my long hair really short, then once it started to fall I shaved it. Now I'm almost bald except I have this peach fuzz on my head...strong hairs that didn't fall but are actually growing. I worked through my first chemo but stopped the day before my second one. I don't own any wigs and refuse to buy one. I've embraced the bald look, except I do wear hats when I take and pick up my daughter from school....kids aren't ready for a bald mommy. I do wear hats from time to time but never around family or friends. My daughter is the reason why I am so positive and why I am so strong through this. I have strength I didn't realize I had but she is my reason for it all...

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:24 AM
Welcome Marina.  What a young age to have this happen.  What helps most is having the support that you currently have with you child's father.

There are many women on here who have undergone chemo and came through it fine.  You too will be able to make it.  There is a forum on here for younger members that you might want to check as well.  

We are here for you when you need us.  Good luck with your chemo.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:10 AM
Welcome Marina and its wonderful to know you have such a great support and everything to fight for in your little girl, as Tina says you'll get there and we're here for you anytime.
Carepage- survivortricia

swinkie55
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 480
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 25, 2013 5:21 PM
Just got back from the drs follow up visit and am feeling like Alice in wonderland when she fell down the rabbits hole.

Good news is I am negative for both estrogen and progesterone receptors. Because of bad weather today the breast cancer center was closed as well the pathologist was out so we don't know yet the HER2 status yet. Dr hopes to have that answer tomorrow.  She told me If negative I will only have to have radiation. Positive will mean chemo.  Also they changed my stage to stage 1A.  The area she had to re incision to get clear margins  was considered evasive. 

Because the breast cancer center was closed they will also have to call tomorrow for my oncologist appt and radiologist appt.  I also have to have an ultrasound so they can remove some fluid build up but again can not get it setup until tomorrow because of the weather here in Lubbock Texas.  I was really surprised that my surgeon was in her office today seeing patients but she is originally from upper New York and is used to snow.  

This is the first time my husband does not understand why I am upset and in tears.  I tried to explain the let down of not having more answers but he just doesn't understand. How do I make him understand or do I?  I am so very scared of all of this.

socalheather
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, February 25, 2013 8:28 PM
hi, i'm heather and new to this so please let me know if i do this wrong.  i was diagnosed on november 6, 2012.  i had my lumpectomy february 8, 2013 and two lymphnodes removed.  one node came back positive.  i have an appointment with a radiation oncologist tomorrow and a hematology oncologist the following day.  i'm not sure what to expect or what to ask.  i'm nervous even though the surgeon said she doesn't believe i will need chemo. definitely i will have radiation and i'm nervous about that. basically i'm just nervous and anxious about the whole thing :) we caught it early and for that i'm grateful.  i'm young (43) and worry about recurrence.  

thank you all for being here.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:23 AM
Hi Heather and sorry you've had to join us, your fears are one's we all had and still do to a great extent but I've found the further out from cancer I get the more confident I become. When I was dx in '05 it chemo was always done once any cancer was found in a node but this may possibly have changed and I'm unaware of that but do keep an open mind on tretaments and if need be do all you can to treat this aggressively to ensure it doesn't return! The hormone and her2 recepters will have a great deal to do with what treatment you'll have also so you'll get this info from the pathology report, chemo is no picnic but do able and rads for me were no big deal and there are many of us here that came through all this and you will too if need be. Please keep us posted and if looking for info stick to reputable sites like www.breastcancer.org and this link may help you too http://ww5.komen.org/IWasDiagnosed/IveBeenDiagnosedwithBreastCancer.html?itc=emoentpnt:5
Carepage- survivortricia

k79miller
  • Reward points : 180
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:40 PM
Hi, my name is Kim.  I was just diagnosed in Feb. of this year.  I went for my regular pap & the gyno found the lump in my right breast.  After a dignostic mammogram & an ultra sound it was decided that I should have a biopsy done.  After the biopsy came back positive I had an MRI done.  I've now seen the surgeon a couple of times & a plastic surgeon.  After talking with my kids & boyfriend I've decided to go ahead with a double mastectomy.  My surgery is scheduled for March 21.

Before doing the biopsy the surgeon did another ultra sound of my lymph nodes.  He said they looked good but we know for sure until after the surgery.  I know that there have been huge advances with breast cancer so at this point I'm not really worried about losing my life.  My biggest fear at this point is just losing my breasts.  I'm going to have immediate reconstruction done but it's just not the same as having the real "girls".  I know it will all be ok & I'm trying to stay positive but losing the "girls" is what I'm really struggling with right now.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:57 PM
Hi Kim, I'm sorry for your dx and if you check the recon/surgery forum you'll get some idea what to expect with this surgery and some tips to help you through too. I had a lumpectomy so can't really advise on the mast but I'm sure others will reply who had this too, good luck with the surgery!
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:10 PM
Kim:

Welcome.  I completely understand where you are coming from.  I had very large (46DD) breasts.  While they were uncomfortable at times, they were mine for a very long time.  I thought that when I looked at myself after surgery that I would be upset but I really wasn't. My reconstruction was done with tissue expanders and then implants.  I am still waiting for the final surgery.  You didn't say what type of reconstruction you are having.  In the support group I attend there are women who have had each type of reconstruction available.   The women in my group love their reconstruction results.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

k79miller
  • Reward points : 180
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:08 PM
I've only had 1 consultation with the plastic surgeon so far but I think I'm having the same type of reconstruction that you're having.  I have some notes that I took with the surgeon but I didn't take notes with the plastic surgeon.  I go back & see both of them on the 12th so I'll definitely be taking more notes then.  My boyfriend are going to Orlando for a few days before the surgery so I'm hoping to come back somewhat relaxed & hopefully I'll have adjusted to all of this a little better.  Trisha, I've read that forum & it did help a lot.  I've got a list of stuff to buy before I go into the hospital.  My surgeon has told me that I'll probably only be in the hospital for 1 night.  Thankfully, my daughter lives with me & she's a great cook so I'm sure I'll be depending on her a lot.  Her 14 mo. old daughter lives with us also.  I'm really worried about how she'll handle this too.  She's awfully used to Nana picking her up & holding her all of the time.  It will probably be just as hard on me as it is on her too.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, March 01, 2013 6:53 PM
Sending good wishes Kim and I replied more on your other thread.
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > | Showing page 48 of 68, messages 941 to 960 of 1351