Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 53 of 68, messages 1041 to 1060 of 1351
CountryGirlsHeart
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 25, 2013 1:05 PM
Thanks Tricia!

CountryGirlsHeart
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 25, 2013 1:08 PM
Thanks Amy!  I have known this particular surgeon for almost 11 years and trust him completely.  My doctor has "warned me" that the surgeon will do his own breast exam and possibly a biopsy as well as send me to a different hospital or imagining center that has better equipment than we have here in our small, mountain top town in North Carolina (speaking of which, we had almost an inch of snow up here this morning ).  I'll keep everyone posted after I meet with him on the 19th!

Thanks again for your response - it helps!

Mel94
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 80
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 25, 2013 3:52 PM
Hello, my name is Mel.

I am here trying to support a high school senior student that wants to go to college next year to study microbiology, biotechnology and genetics.

This students goals are as follows:

"My goal in life is to get PhDs in the fields of both microbiology and biotechnology, so I can apply the knowledge of those subjects into the development of pharmaceuticals that will help to not only treat, but to completely eradicate various illnesses, such as cancer, making the quality of life better for all people, of all walks of life, in all parts of the world, regardless of any factor that would otherwise allow them to receive proper treatment." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This student applied for a scholarship in which the winner is based by the number of votes he or she receives. I believe that many of us need better treatment and even a cure. So I am here to ask for your support for this student. PLEASE Vote for this student's essay with a+1, like and a tweet during the month of October in the following page:

http://www.varsitytutors.com/scholarship_entries/sergio-754 

If you can, please copy and paste this message in your facebook page, forward it to your friends, etc.

Thank you and may God help all of those who are lending their time in an effort to find a cure!

Monica Conley
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 02, 2013 8:49 PM
My name is Monica, My mother passed 5 years ago from breast cancer. I found a lump and feel like this is the best place for me to be while my doctor and I try to find out what it is. She says I have fibrocystic breasts and that it could be a knot caused by caffeine. I am concerned because I don't drink much caffeine, nor do I smoke, do drugs, or drink. Although I have in the past. I am so proud of all of the survivors here, and everywhere! I feel like my mother lives through each of you. I am not sure if I was supposed to post all of that here, and I apologize for being so upfront. I am just very scared.
Monica Conley

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 03, 2013 5:51 AM
Hi Monica and I'm very sorry you lost your Mom to this disease and applaud you for being so pro active with your own health as early detection really does make a huge difference.

I've never heard of a knot being caused by caffine and it sounds very unlikely to me, many younger women do have fibrous or lumpy breasts but you can never assume thats all it is, in general its hard to pick things up in a Mammo so an MRI or Ultrasound may give you more answers. I think you need to see a breast surgeon and have this looked into in view of your family history, remember over 80% of breast lumps that are found are benign and the chances are this one is too but its best to be certain, good luck and keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Monica Conley
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 03, 2013 12:49 PM
The "knot" assumption is suspicious to me as well. I don't have insurance as of yet, I have to wait for All-care to kick in in January. I first found it on or around Sept. 19th, It has been there ever since and hasn't moved. I had to go to planned parenthood and see a nurse practitioner but I think I need a second opinion.
Monica Conley

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:20 PM
Monica if you contact your local komen office you may be entitled to a free Mammo, also contact the Livestrong organization as they may help too.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

mrsrocket
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 160
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 18, 2013 8:03 AM
Morning, My name is Debbie. 
 I am just began treatment. I had DCIS 2 years ago. Everything was pretty much norm, then increase problems started. My mammo and ultra sound showed increase areas, this time not just in one but both.  The physical pain has gotten at times so bad that it has interferred with life and with work.  The doctor has scheduled a MRI, but looked at me and said, "I am starting you on chemo, tablet form. I don't like how these imagines appear here. I can also predict what the MRI will show, but that has to be done for insurance verification." So, I bit my lip, fought the tears and started through the clinic, first to lab - blood draw, onocology for a shot, pharmacy - pick up medication, and then back to the doctor's.  Here he gave me a a very stern guideline - Get your mind strong, Get your body strong - keep exercising, eat very, very healthy, take medication at the scheduled times daily and get counceling.  These will help. It can make it as easy as having the areas decreased in 3 months or if you slip on any of these you could be looking at a very long road.  He stated that he feels I have a strong chance of beating this as long as I follow this guideline.
I am really scared. I have started with the increase feeling tired. I will sleep, but wake from horrible dreams, and the hot flashed, omg. I haven't made it back to college in a week and half.  Have had times with food not tasting good.
My husband is being strong for me, but that also scares me, how long will it last, We have only been married 4 1/2 years, but have know each other for 48 yrs, grow up tog.
Haven't told other family members. Did tell a couple of friends that I think of as close, but know afraid I might lose them. When we talk now, they feel smoothering then become very distant all within the same conversation. They also don't look at me in the face, but keep looking down at my breasts.
Not sure where to go next with everything.
Thank you, for letting me get some things out.  This is the first I have actully wrote a lot of this down.  Thank again.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 18, 2013 10:18 AM
Hi Mrsrocket,

I'm sad your Onc was inferring if you don't follow these guidlelines the cancer will not go away or take longer in treatment, of course in an ideal world we'd all love to exercise each day and eat the right things and remain psoitive but sadly life is not like that. Just do what you feel able for, eat only what you like or can stomach at this point and cut yourself some slack, there'll be time enough when you're well again to begin a healthy eating programme but for now rest as much as you need to as it helps your body cope with this and eventually heal.

When will you get the results of the MRI? was it a full body one or just of the breasts?  I only ask because its unusual to have chemo in pill form for early stage breastcancer (I think its called xeloda??)  I assume the plan is to shrink the tumour/tumours and then have surgery??  I think it would help if your Onc was clearer about what you're dealing with, what stage or grade etc and what size the tumours are?? its all very good for him to guess and be cryptic but its only going to worry you more I feel.  

Please be reassured that many of us here are long time survivors and have been where you are now and still doing well, I'm sure you will too so just take one day at a time for now and ask any questions here as all the members will be happy to help you through this and offer support.  Its a sad fact many of us lost what we thought were good friends along the way, don't fret because the real genuine caring one's will be there for you regardless so dismiss the others and know you're amongst friends now. Pals
Carepage- survivortricia

garber
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:51 AM
My name is Becky, and I have a 17yr old daughter, Meg, who's mom died of breast cancer at 32, grandmother died of breast cancer in middle 30's, and there are cousins who also had breast cancer. My husband, Rob(biological dad) is scared to get her brac tested...he says he doesn't want to know that his daughter is going to die. Rob's brother is an Oncology surgeon and has encouraged Rob to get her tested numerous times. I'm very concerned for my daughter and need advice on what I should do first. Meg is aware of her risk, and I have talked to her about self examining her breast monthly. Should I get her in to see an gynecologist and request an MRI instead of a mammogram? Is there a support group for girls her age? Please advise, thanks

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:43 AM
Hi,

I don't think having Becky test positive would mean a death sentence and there are preventative measures she may decide on when older to reduce her risk of getting BC, this site I think will have lots more info for you http://www.facingourrisk.org/
Carepage- survivortricia

garber
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:49 AM
Thanks so much! I agree with you on "its not a life sentence", my goal is to keep Meg educated and the importance of knowing her own body. Thanks again for the link.

mouse21
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 27, 2013 9:18 PM
Hi! My name is Michelle and I was dx with triple negative bc on 9/13/13. I am on cycle 5 of 6 of Taxotere/Carboplatin. I will have surgery in early February (dbl mastectomy). My tumors and lymph nodes are responding well to the chemo so hoping for a complete response. Will have radiation after surgery. Still undecided about reconstruction. I am a mother of 2 young children. Still working part-time. Becoming very fatigued from the chemo. Hoping to connect with other triple negative patients. 

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, December 27, 2013 9:50 PM
Welcome to the site Michelle.  I am so sorry for your diagnosis.  I believe there is a forum for triple negative where you can connect with others.  Not sure exactly what the name is.  Tricia (who is a moderator) will certainly know and she should be on soon.  

Good luck with your treatment.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:23 AM
Hi Michelle,

This link will direct you to the forum Tina mentioned, if you read some of the posts there you'll see there are many long term triple neg survivors all doing well, I'm sure you know triple negs respond better to chemo too than other hormone pos types of BC and I'm glad this is the case for you. 
I also suffered with fatigue during chemo but was fortunate to be able to nap as and when I needed to, you're getting close to the end which is wonderful and if you check the surgery/recon forum you'll get lots of advice to help you with your decision on surgery, good luck and keep us posted!Pals

https://apps.komen.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=72
Carepage- survivortricia

azalia
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:49 PM
Rose, DCIS, stage 0, grade III, dx 10/8/2013 a second DCIS, stage 0, grade III, dx 11/20/2013 This is my first time on this site. A little confused/can't seem to find how to post a question (new post) on here? Recently had double mastectomy with implants (12/27/2013). Plastic surgeon has told me to massage my new breasts (this is supposed to relax the tissue and scar tissue in my breasts. Wondered if anyone here has done this and has any suggestions for how to do this/what to do. I understand its going to take months for my breasts to relax into a natural condition and that the massage is key. I've purchased a battery-operated hand massager (Walgreens), but just wondered if anyone has done this and has any suggestions. Many thanks.

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:10 PM
Hi Rose 

Welcome and your question posted so I think you're getting the hang of it!

I didn't have an implant so not sure if the issues are the same.   I had some scar tissue and cording where the nodes were removed, and gentle massage and stretching was helpful.  I also had about 6weeks of physical therapy which helped enormously.  If you're having difficulty raising your arms or have lost significant range of motion ask your doc for a pt consult.

Hope an implant gal will pop in with more advice.
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

azalia
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:21 PM
Thanks for your reply Sharonma. I have been contemplating asking for a pt referral. I'll try that. Thanks.

GinaH
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 85
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:21 PM
Hello. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't have details beyond that I have it in a mass in my left breast and in a lymph node under my arm. The nurse told me it's not a death sentence. But we don't know what stage I am in until my surgeon gets in there. I am seeing him Thursday. 

I am happily married with 4 kids, 23, 19, 11 and 9. I have told my older kids but I am worried how my younger ones will take it. I know I will have to tell them eventually. I find that I am worrying about everyone else more than what this means for me. Literally I am still in a state of shock.  Someone said it feels like walking around in a tunnel. I thought that was pretty close to what I am experiencing.

Thankfully this forum has been very helpful and informative. I look forward to chatting with you ladies and reading more of your stories.

Gina

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:42 PM
Hi Gina,

I remember dreading telling my family too but they were very supportive and understanding the whole time as I'm sure yours will be. I understand the younger one's may be difficult to explain to, there are some great books out there to help explain this disease to young children. However, your nurse is right and cancer is no longer the death sentence it used to be thanks to modern drugs and treatments so you may decide not to mention the C word to the younger one's which may frighten them needlessly, I'd be sure to reassure the older one's of all the long term survivors there are too, good luck and keep us posted.
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 53 of 68, messages 1041 to 1060 of 1351