Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 56 of 68, messages 1101 to 1120 of 1351
Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:20 PM
Sending good wishes Cat!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

cat27
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 215
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:40 PM
Thank you so much.....btw, I LOVE your profile pic! Also, I hope you are doing well in your fight.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:50 AM
Hi Donna, I love your avatar btw, I can't help with this question but hope someone else can, hoping for B9 for you but if not you can research all your options and make a decision on whats right for you, a bilat mast is always an option but doesn't guarantee no recurrance of course but does the reduce the risk a little, good luck.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:57 PM
Thanks Donna, this is Sammy my Somali cat and he's spoiled rotten!!!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:30 PM
Donna-- Good luck with the lumpectomy.  
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

cat27
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:34 AM
Thank you Tricia....that pic is my late, great Rosietoes, a little polydactyl who I raised from birth (her mama was my beloved Babycat). My son took that pic and I just love it. I made it through my needle location biopsy fine.....the radiologist who did my needle loc was WONDERFUL. I truly felt a couple of VERY TINY pinches and a LITTLE pressure and that was that! Scootersmom, the lumpectomy went smoothly.Pain hasn't been bad at the surgical site, just a crescent shaped incision and bruise next to my nipple with a slight dent. Now I am waiting for the biopsy results. Thank you both for the kind words, as you know this is a very stressful thing to go through for us and our families. I was talking on the phone with my daughter, who lives in another state about the possibility of cancer and when I got off the phone I saw my 24 year old son sitting at the other end of the couch with a tear running down his cheek :( . I hadn't realized how afraid he was for me.
<message edited by cat27 on Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:36 AM>

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:46 PM
Cat:

I didn't find the lumpectomy that painful.  Just the first day and nothing really that Tylenol couldn't handle.  I was just bored out of my mind as the doctor wouldn't let me go back to work for two weeks. I don't know about you but when I went to have the needle put in, I left the radiologist looking like I had one of Madonna's cones on the side of my boob.  They put a coffee cup over it and taped it to me.  I couldn't put my arm down.

I hope your pathology report comes back with clean margins and that the rest of your treatment goes well (whatever that may be).

It is tough when dealing with family members.  They have so many questions and are trying to be strong.  Open communications is the key.  I had two aunts that had breast cancer so when I reached out to them, I really didn't get much help from them.  One had cancer when she was in her thirties.  She had a bilateral mastectomy at the time and really blocked out all those memories.  The other one had it a year before I was diagnosed and just did not want to talk about it.

Another aunt called me and kept asking questions.  She was comparing me to the other two.  For instance-your Aunt Barb had a lumpectomy with drains.  How many drains do you have, who is going to help you with them, how many stitches, etc.  After the third time telling her that I didn't have drains or stitches she was making me more upset than anything.  I kept telling her mine was not the same as the others.  There are different types.  My mother had to finally call her and tell her to stop calling.  If there was a change we would let her know.

Everyone handles this so differently.  It would be nice if it fell into a single type and all treatments were the same.  It would also be nice to have an instruction manual as to how this is supposed to go.   For many people when they hear the word "cancer", they immediately think it's a death sentence. The only way to get past that is with knowledge. I found that during this trip, I have become an educator to others whether I wanted to be or not.  I am glad that since I had to get this disease that I got it now rather than thirty-forty years ago before the advancement of medical technology.  

It sounds like you have the support you need with your family and that is important. Good luck with the path report. I'll keep my fingers crossed for clean margins.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

cat27
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:57 PM
The radiologist just put a lot or gauze and tape around the wore (and the needle, since my surgeon wants the needle left in too). I was just amazed at how little the needle loc hurt...I was expecting a really tough experience. My shoulder is more sore than the lumpectomy site, I haven't figured that out unless they had my arm in some weird position...I have had surgery on my shoulder and the range of motion isn't what it used to be. Thank you for the good wishes....I am very hopeful this comes back B9 and that's that. My best to you too.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, May 17, 2014 5:43 PM
Glad its all done Cat and wishing for B9 too, please keep us posted!dancingcat
Carepage- survivortricia

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:15 AM
Cat,
Hope you are relaxing and being waited on this weekend.  Fingers crossed for b9 results!
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

cat27
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, May 19, 2014 6:49 PM
Tricia.....thank you so much. No word yet. I LOVE the dancing cat! It looks like my beautiful rescue panther cat, Stevie Ray! Sharonma...LOL! I have been baking, cooking, and trying to keep my family calm! I also adopted my granddaughter (2nd to the youngest of 8) at birth...she is a VERY active 3 1./2 year old, so my family is helping a lot with her since I am her "mememama" and she is my baby I do spend a lot of time cuddling/keeping a sharp eye on her. She was so sweet the first time she saw my "owie"....she got the most concerned look and said "oh, Meme, you needa call the Docta"! Lol! I explained that the "docta" did it, but it was to make Meme feel better. She accepted that ....for now.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:37 AM
Glad you liked the cat and it sounds like that little girl is keeping you busy and just what you need to keep your mind off the wait!
Carepage- survivortricia

PattiPD62
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:40 PM
Hello, new to forum as of 5 mins ago actually. Just found out today I have DCIS. Had a core biopsy on my right breast this past Tuesday. So, next step, I am told, is an MRI. Maybe from that, they will tell me if I need a mastectomy or if it is possible for a lumpectomy. I am an "A" cup so thinking with not much breast tissue, it possibly could be quite disfiguring to,take a huge "lump" out of someone who hardly has any tissue?? Very scared about either procedure to be quite honest, neither are a choice I want to make frankly. My husband is in shock and isn't really speaking to me about this. Would love to speak to someone who has had a similar diagnosis and what route they picked or was chosen for them. So, should I'm hanged my diet now?? I am 5'4" and 120. Eat fairly healthy, drink socially and never smoked. Should I begin a hormone free diet?? What can be done to help myself? Also, does anyone possibly NOT have surgery and just wait 6 months to see if the cancer has grown? Maybe it goes away on its own?(too unrealistic of me?) thanks.....

LisaD
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:04 PM
Hi Patti, I did not have a similar diagnosis but do know what it feels like to hear those words "you have cancer". I did not have an MRI and my breast surgeon felt a lumpectomy would be best because I am a larger breast size. I know they say if a lumpectomy would be too disfiguring they will do the mastectomy. Also, I have read that the newer way of thinking with DCIS is a wait and see approach. I think that you and your Dr will be able to determine what the best approach is for you. There is a lot of info on the Komen site and on Breast Cancer.org so you could do some research. As far as your husband is concerned, I had this problem with my adult daughter. Every time we spoke about it she cried. In time she got over it and became my biggest care taker. It seems to me that this disease strikes randomly. I have met people with the healthiest lifestyles and people with the worst habits. Many people here say it is just a crap shoot. Hopefully someone here will better answer your questions good luck to you.
Lisa
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)

PattiPD62
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:12 PM
Thanks so much Lisa for replying. Looked like everyone tonight was offline so it was so good to get your message, truly. I will read some more and jut hate the idea of rushing into surgery. Is there that much of an issue to wait and see?? Maybe after the MRI I will be able to make a better determination of this . Thanks so much again

LisaD
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:23 PM
I understand how you feel. As I had IDC  I didn't have a choice not to treat. I know that a women I went through radiation with opted not to do hormone blockers after treatment as her family had a strong history of stroke. She had DCIS. Wait until the tests are in and what you Dr has to say along with research you will feel more able to make the right decision for you. Everyone here will tell you that it is a very personal decision. And a little overwhelming. Things calm down once all the info is in and a plan is made. I am obsessive about research so I read everything I could others don't want to know anything but what the Dr tells them. Don't worry too much you will be able to make the right decision for you!
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)

scootersmom
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:53 PM
Patti:  Welcome to the board.

While DCIS is an early form and usually an early stage, don't be fooled and no it just won't go away on its own.

Someone had the foresight to have the biopsy scheduled and done. It resulted in the diagnosis that you got.  Right now you are ahead of the game instead of waiting six months.  

The MRI would be useful in determining if there are other areas that were not picked up by a mammogram.  Let this test be your guide for what is next.  Make sure that you have all your questions written down and go over them with your doctor.  If you decide to have a mastectomy, do you want reconstruction?  If so, ask for a referral before hand to a plastic surgeon.  Discuss your options.

Think about all of your options before making your decision.  Your husband is still in shock and hopefully he will be able to step up to the plate and be the rock that you will need.

Emotions will run on overload so be prepared.  Come back here anything you need a gentle hug or a shoulder to cry on.  

Keep us posted. 

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

cat27
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:35 PM
Just an FYI.....I saw my surgeon the 22nd of May for follow up on the lumpectomy and the results were.......BENIGN! I am beyond relieved. I wish this feeling for every woman struggling with this unknown fear. God bless you all.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 16, 2014 2:08 PM
Wonderful news and thanks for updating us!!
Carepage- survivortricia

Valley of Vapors
  • Reward points : 85
Re:Introduce yourself - Monday, June 16, 2014 7:45 PM
Core needle biopsy showed DCIS.  Last week had basically lumpectomy and one sentinel lymph node removed. All were negative.  My estrogen receptor 100%. Progesterone receptor 97.3%. Am I taking tamoxifen or not??  Question of the night!  I am 63 and my surgeon feels I only have a 5% chance of it recurring. 

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 56 of 68, messages 1101 to 1120 of 1351