Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 58 of 68, messages 1141 to 1160 of 1351
lt411
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:05 PM
Hello - my name is Lisette. My mother was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer when she was 41. It did come back in different areas 5 times & my mother passed away in 2007 at age 62. I have always been very diligent with my annual mammograms. Right now I am 45 yrs old, I have 5 boys ages 8,10,12,14,16. I nursed them all for about a year. I did take the Breast Cancer gene test & I was negative. So 2 years ago we moved from TX to OH & I had to re-establish new relationships with new drs. I find a gyno - I go in & I bring in my paper saying it is time for my annual mammogram. I ask her to schedule me, she says yes & continues the annual exam. During the exam I bring up a pain that I was having - it comes & goes, behind my rib, UNDER my breast bone. The yr before in TX, I had brought it up to my family dr who said it was just a muscle issue & gave me pain pills. I am very paranoid of any ache & pain & don't like to mask anything with medicine. So I brought it up to this dr. She says, let me check, then tells me it's breast tissue. I get very nervous thinking I have something. She tells me she can schedule a diagnostic ultrasound to check the area. Of course! I am scared out of my mind. She says she'll just schedule it the same day as my mammogram. Great - wow this dr is so thorough & caring & has me back 3 times in 3 months "to make sure I'm doing ok" Now honestly she played on my paranoia. Each dr visit was being charge. I go for my mammogram & diagnostic ultrasound. All is ok. Then my bill arrives from the mammo place. They coded it ALL together & because I have a $500 deductible - I owe $530! $280 is for my mammogram!!! I go crazy. I am DUE a FREE annual preventative mammo. So I start the phone calls. Then mammo place can't change it because that is how the dr office coded it. I call the dr office - I speak to the dr. She says & I quote "I found the breast tenderness" I say you didn't find anything - that was something previous that I had brought up to you - even still - it should not be coded together. She said she could not change it as it would be unethical. WHATTTTT? She IS being unethical. So I write to the insurance company, they deny me. I write a second appeal to the ins - they deny it again. I write another letter to the dr saying they need to change that coding because I should have to pay for a mammogram I am due & one I requested. I did report this dr. to the ins. & they said they were investigating her. Anyway dr. office deny it & won't change the coding. So long story - I STILL owe $530. My credit is shot because it's gone to collection. I guess I need to give up & just pay it. No-one will help me. No-one will do anything. I am completely shocked that this could ever happen. I am horrified. This was May-June 2013. I've just been avoiding it - it's the principle of the matter. Should I give up & just pay? I can't pay a lawyer - would probably cost me more than the $530. I'm ok paying for the diagnostic ultrasound but it just makes my blood boil that I would have to pay for that mammo. Appreciate your feedback!

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:16 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry this happened and its a lot of money to pay out when its obviously the Dr's fault, I really can't advise  on what to do as I don't live in the U.S but would think it may affect your credit so it may be best to pay it but write a letter of complaint about the Dr to a governing body there, may be the insurance company could set up a payment plan for you??
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

JillS
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 2310
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 06, 2014 1:29 PM
Hi! My name is Jill from MN. I am 52, married with 10 and 15-year old girls. I was just diagnosed on 10/28 with Invasive Ductal Cancer, probably Stage 2, grades 2-3. I've seen the surgeon, am scheduled with the plastic surgeon on the 10th and double mastectomy on the 20th with reconstruction. Whew!!!! I'm not worrying that it will be more, but there's just that general fear.

I think I'm okay with this, but my biggest challenge may be allowing myself to actually be upset. My oldest has a serious autoimmune disorder (Juvenile Dermatomyositis) that was diagnosed at three, now my youngest has been diagnosed with a severe to profound sensioneural hearing loss in her left ear (the older has mild to mopderate in the right). Headed to the geneticist next week for that. I don't feel like I have enough time to be concerned for myself with the girls. The problem is that with work and all this, my anxiety level is soooo high. That constant feeling of unrest. Any ideas?

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 06, 2014 3:28 PM
Hi Jills,

You have a lot on your plate right now and do consider asking your Dr for something to help you over this, it can be temporary but if you need it do ask for it and I hope you'll keep us posted on your path report.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 06, 2014 3:43 PM
Hi Jill. I agree with Tricia that taking something for anxiety while you're in the midst of all this could really make a difference. Naturally, it has to be something mild enough so that you can function well with your children and work, but if it's something that just takes the edge off your anxiety and helps you get a good night's sleep, it would be a great help. I've taken anti-anxiety medication, and I always start at the lowest dosage and take more if I need it. 

The only other advice I have is to let people help you--whether it's family, friend, co-workers, people at your church if you have one. People will likely ask you how they can help, so don't be afraid to tell them what you need: rides for the girls? someone to organize a "meal train"--friends who take turns bringing dinners over to your house? I tend to be independent and don't like to ask for help, but I learned quickly how wonderful it is to get help like that. 99 percent of people who ask what they can do really want to be told, so don't hold back. I wish you the very best--please let us know how everything goes.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

hiddenhol
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 685
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, November 10, 2014 10:17 PM
Hello everyone, I am Liza.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:39 AM
Hi Liza and welcome to the message boards, have you or a family member been diagnosed with cancer?
Carepage- survivortricia

kkristen
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 110
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:05 PM
Hi, my name is Kelley. I was diagnosed with DCIS on September 11, 2014 by needle biopsy. I opted for a double mastectomy, which I had last Wednesday, November 12th. I chose this because my mother was also diagnosed this year with breast cancer. The pathology from my surgery found that I have invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 2 (NOT DCIS). My tumor size was 2.5cm. I had a sentinel node biopsy with my mastectomy and three nodes were taken, all negative. 

Tomorrow I go to see the oncologist and I am anxious about what she will say. Prior to my surgery she said I wouldn't need any further treatment (when we thought I had a 2mm area of DCIS). Now, we are dealing with a 2.5cm tumor that was removed. I know that it was ER and PR positive, HER negative. What are your experiences with treatment for stage 2 invasive carcinoma with these characteristics? I'm guessing Tamoxifen for sure but wondering about chemo...

Thoughts, help, and insight? I'd appreciate anything! 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 21, 2014 3:38 AM
Hi Kelley,

I'm guessing with your Mothers history and the size of the tumour the Onc would prefer you to do some chemo, we only get one chance to ensure this doesn't recurr so it may well be best to throw everything you have at it. Good luck and please let us know what happens and if you do need chemo we can help and support you through that,
Carepage- survivortricia

kkristen
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 110
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 21, 2014 9:44 PM
Well, she said I'm looking at Tamoxifen for 5-10 years and we will make a determination about chemo after we get my oncotype dx test back. Looks like another 2 week wait. Thanks for your support :).

mjm
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 75
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 30, 2014 5:02 PM
I was just diagnosed 11/19/14 with ILC plemorphic with peri-neural invasion, ER+ and PR+, HER2 negative. After much research I have opted for a lumpectomy with possible chemotherapy and radiation and hormone therapy. Has anyone had similar dx? Now reading more and wondering if I made the right decision.... I am scheduled for my surgery on the 20th when they will do the lumpectomy as well as remove lymph nodes for testing. Won't know about the chemo until lymph nodes are tested.
11/19/14 DX - Invasive Lobular carcinoma, pleomorphic, peri-neural invasion.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 30, 2014 5:22 PM
I had a different dx MJM but wishing you a good path report and hope someone with a similar dx will be along to post soon and offer advice.
Carepage- survivortricia

mjm
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 75
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 30, 2014 6:41 PM
Thank-you, hoping I made the right decision. Love your cat, I have a 17 pound - very long and has a raccoon tail. Glad you are doing well, I have friend who finishes her 3 round of chemo tomorrow.
11/19/14 DX - Invasive Lobular carcinoma, pleomorphic, peri-neural invasion.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, December 01, 2014 1:46 AM
Thanks, Sammy is one of four, used to be six but we sadly lost two to illness, I found them a great comfort during my own treatments, well done to your friend and you can do this so hang in there!Pals
Carepage- survivortricia

Dandra89
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 06, 2014 10:18 AM
My name is Lisa and I was just diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday.  I just turned 41 and have a 2 1/2 year old son who is my world.  I worry about him and being able to watch him grow up.  I feel scared!  But I'm hopeful with all the treatments that I will be ok.

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:04 PM
Lisa--

Welcome.  It doesn't sound like you have the full diagnosis yet.  There are so many different types and the treatments vary.  Try not to worry too much yet.  When you meet with your medical team and a treatment plan is established you will know more.  The unknown and the waiting are the most nerve racking part of this whole scenario.  Breast cancer isn't an automatic death sentence so please try not to think of it as that.  I just read an article on American Cancer Society's website of a 47 year survivor.  

Good luck with your visits and please keep us posted.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:33 PM
Hi Lisa and welcome,

We all felt scared and those early weeks can be very confusing and emotional, it'll get easier once you have the full details and a treatment plan in place, good luck and please keep us posted.
Carepage- survivortricia

lorenlawrence
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, December 14, 2014 2:50 PM
Hi! My name is Loren and, although this isn't my first time battling breast cancer, this is my first time joining/posting in a forum. I'm new at this, so I'll apologize in advance. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 25 in October 2010, just 3 days before my 26th birthday. I found a lump in my right breast while doing a self exam about 2 years prior to my diagnosis. Doctors assured me that it was nothing to worry about, that I was simply too young for it to be anything of concern. Yeah, right. I should've gone with my gut and pushed harder but I was young and part of me desperately wanted to believe them. After all, I was in nursing school and just too busy to worry about my own health...I was supposed to be caring for others and not necessarily for myself. In all actuality, I should've known better...after all, I was in nursing school. 2 years passed and the lump became so large that it was noticable through my clothing. That's when I decided to bite the bullet and go to the doctor once again. Long story short, I had an excisional biopsy and it came back positive for cancer with 3 of 6 lymph nodes also testing positive. Doctors insisted that no more surgery was needed since I had opted for the excisional biopsy but, this time, I followed my gut and went ahead with a double mastectomy. Best decision I could've made, given my young age I was certain that it would come back again. By December 2010 I had gotten my port and received my first of eight rounds of chemo. I started radiation in April 2011 and was in remission by July 2011. Since my diagnosis and subsequent treatment was so hurried, no provisions were made in the way of fertility and I was told that I couldn't have children. I was devastated! I always knew that I would someday be a mother...now I just needed tweak my plan a little. At the time, I was single and had just started my new job as a nurse at the county jail. There was no rush on the baby! Little did I know that I would meet my future husband soon after my first month there (he's an officer). After a year and a half of dating, and much to our extreme surprise, I became pregnant! What a miracle! 3 months into the pregnancy, I began having pretty severe lower back pain. I just wrote it off as normal pregnancy symptoms, not thinking it was anything out of the ordinary. On July 10, 2010, I was awakened by severe flank pain accompanied by sudden vomiting and profuse sweating. I constantly had the urge to pee (more than normal lol). Classic kidney stone symptoms and it's common during pregnancy. As a precaution, my OB decided to do an ultrasound of my kidneys to make sure that I had passed all of the stones. It was in that moment that my whole world changed. Expecting the all clear, none of us were worried. We certainly didn't expect what we were about to be told: there was an 8 cm mass on my liver and, given my previous history, they were fairly certain that it was cancer. I thought to myself, "not again". I couldn't stand the thought of doing it all over again...liver cancer. Being a nurse, I knew that my prognosis wasn't good. All I could think about was my family and my unborn baby but I had to hold it together...for them. After a risky liver biopsy, it was determined that it wasn't liver cancer afterall. It was actually metastatic breast cancer. Now, my prognosis was better, even though I now had Stage IV breast cancer. At least it wasn't liver cancer. Never could I have imagined what laid ahead. I was told that, because of the pregnancy, no further testing could be done and everything had to be placed on hold until the baby was born. Keep in mind that I was only barely 7 months pregnant. My due date was September 29, 2014 and it was only July 11. I was immediately met with pressure from my doctors to deliver early. Way too early. I was referred to UAMS in Little Rock due to the rareness of my situation, which none of my current doctors had ever experienced before. No one knew just how to proceed...I was presented with an impossible choice: deliver now, jeopardizing the health of my baby for the sake of my own or wait and jeopardize my own health for the sake of my baby boy. The choice was easy. My decision to wait and deliver at 34 weeks was met with so much resistance. My friends and family were forced to watch me suffer in excruciating pain for 6 more weeks. I decided to forego pain medication to further protect my baby. He was, after all, my miracle. By the time that I was set to deliver, I was unable to walk or sit upright. All I could do was lay flat on my back...but it was worth it. I wasn't doing this for me. 32 hours of labor later and my precious Griffin was born: 4 lbs 13 oz and perfectly healthy. Per protocol, he remained in the NICU...he ended up developing a necrotizing gut infection about 2 weeks into his stay and I ended up getting more bad news. This time, about me. My cancer had spread to the bones of my pelvis and spine. That's why I couldn't walk. One tumor had created so much pressure on my spine that it had actually fractured a vertebrae. Now, the fight began. I was immediately started on 15 rounds of radiation. Fast forward to now: Griffin is 4 months old and I'm doing great! I'm responding very well to hormone therapy and am able to walk again without assistance. I'm even getting to go back to work on December 26th and I couldn't be more ready. I'm just trying to be as close to normal as I know how. Miracles happen everyday and I know they're happening to me! God has a plan...I may not know what it is just yet but I don't have to. He does. 
First diagnosed with Stage IIIb DCIS in Oct 2010 at age 25; double mastectomy, 6 lymph nodes removed, 8 rounds of chemotherapy, 30 rounds of radiation, remission 4 years. Re-diagnosed in July 2014 with Stage IV DCIS after becoming pregnant with 1st child. Mets in liver, pelvis, and spine; completed 15 rounds of radiation and currently on hormone therapy. 

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:19 PM
Hi Loren and thank you for sharing your story. All I can say is that you have a lot of courage and you have the best thing in the world to live for--that sweet baby of yours. It's great that the treatments are working so well. I wish you and your family all the best. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:53 PM
Hi Lauren and welcome and I'm so pleased the treatments are working for you, you have a lot to fight for and I hope you'll keep us posted and I wish you well.Pals
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 58 of 68, messages 1141 to 1160 of 1351