Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 59 of 68, messages 1161 to 1180 of 1351
Jennifer.jernigan
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 20, 2014 4:19 PM
My name is Jennifer my 28 year old daughter was just diagnosed with inflammatory brest cancer. I am a nurse but don't have experience with breast cancer. I was in shock the night she called me and told me (biopsy already done). Everything is moving very fast. Chemo starts in 1 week (2 x) followed by surgery. She has other health issues in addition to the new dx. I want to be able to support her the best way I can. I am coming out of my shock and begining to be able to think logically again. 

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:18 PM
Hi Jennifer,

This link with info may help you, its by one of our past members who is also a nurse and quite informative, she's also still doing well and I wish you and your daughter well as she begins her treatments. There are also lots of posts with advice and tips on the chemo forum which should help too and I hope you'll keep us posted.

P.S  A good reliable site for research is www.breastcancer.org 
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

brookiecookie20
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, January 12, 2015 12:38 PM
Hello Everyone, 

My name is Brooke and I am 28 years old and I was recently diagnosed with stage 2 Breast cancer (Bilateral and Multi-centric invasive breast carcinoma) in November 2014. I also have a tumor on my hip that has been diagnosed as a possible liposarcoma but still waiting for the results for the pathology.
[font="'times new roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: 25px"]

So far it has been a troubling journey (with worries of diagnoses and of the unexpected financial troubles) but I know I can get through this.

[font="'times new roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: 25px"]Hope to talk to you all soon.

[font="'times new roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: 25px"]Brooke

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, January 12, 2015 2:22 PM
Hi Brooke and welcome, I'm sorry you've had to join us though, once you begin your treatment and start fighting this  I think you'll feel better, good luck and hope you'll keep us posted.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

EGrebyn
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 75
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:24 AM
I don't know if there is anyone out there.  I feel alone and afraid.  It seems like there is no one for me to talk to.   Everyone I know 
wants to hear that I am OK, that I intend to fight - whatever that means, They want to know that I am being positive and strong and graceful in my acceptance of all that is happening to me.  I wish I could be that person for them  But I don't know what to do or say or think or how to behave.  I do not feel brave or graceful, peaceful or even composed.  I just feel broken and no matter what kind of "fix" there is for me, I will always look broken.  And I am afraid I will always feel broken too.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:42 PM
Hi EGebyn.

Please know its very usual to feel as you do right now and all of us felt the same and not at all brave, we wouldn't be human otherwise!  This is a time to be selfish, to put you first and your needs, be kind to yourself and accept and allow yourself to feel all the emotions you do right now whether that be anger, hurt or sadness.

Is this a  recent new diagnosis? if so the early weeks and even months can be a blur, please believe me it will get much easier, and especially when you get a treatment plan in plan. Don't try to even think of making anyone else happy or comfortable with your illness right now, this is about you, and whatever you feel right now is fine, be gentle on yourself, it will get easier and better I promise. Pals

Carepage- survivortricia

ckr1956
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:20 PM
I've resisted joining this or any other message board or support group until today. I guess I've been telling myself I can handle it; unfortunately, that has not been working out too well for me. I feel so betrayed by my body! I can't believe that I'm going through this, that I've gone through what I have so far... Diagnosis, surgery, tests and waiting, waiting, waiting. Now, 5 weeks post-op and looking at radiation for the next 6 weeks I already feel so disfigured and the prospect of the skin damage from the radiation has put me over the edge. Just feel so frightened and so unequal to the task before me

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:07 PM
Hi,

The early weeks can be a confusing blur I know, do check the radiation forum for lots of advice and tips to help you, I really didn't find it too tough and hope you'll be the same, good luck.
Carepage- survivortricia

EGrebyn
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:13 PM
Thank you Tricia.
I had an excision biopsy on 12/4/14 to remove what I was told was most likely a fibrous cyst.  On 12/10/14 I was told that it was cancer.  The tumor (3cm) was removed but I would still need chemo, then more surgery,,,,,The Pet scan shows that it has not spread beyond the right breast.  I started chemo last Thursday.  I've tried to go into this being upbeat.  I cut my waist length hair.  Dutifully had the surgery to put in a port.  I even signed up to be part of a clinical drug trial for the delivery of anti-nausea drugs.  Chemo was fine, no sickness, just a day of sleep Saturday after.  I have been working everyday and hour of my normal workday that I have not been at the doctor's office.  I have been making hats like crazy to cope with the impending hair loss.  I have even been alternating the idea of hats with the idea of bold baldness and a henna crown.  But then, I guess I collapsed.  I couldn't try anymore.  I have wonderful family, friends and coworkers that have been so kind that I that I have been plagued with guilt about the onslaught of gifts, cards, well wishes etc.  Then add uncertainty about future surgery, radiation, reconstruction.  I started feeling all the things on the dark side of life.  Nothing positive.  This was followed by even more kindness and guilt on my part.  So here I am, teetering on the divide between "good face forward" and "the depths of despair".  I guess it's not much different than so many other stories, but....I guess I just needed a place to talk about reality.  My friends are great, but if I say anything about my shattered faith, issues related to vanity or self image, they all just try to say I am wrong, or that those things are not important.  They just say, "It will get better."  But I know that things will be worse long before that happens.

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:57 PM
Hi all newbies!

We have all felt the way that you feel now.  It is so very hard to remain positive and upbeat around others.  I really don't believe anyone is that good of an actress either to try to put up the front.  People try to be kind and supportive but sometimes they say things they think you need to hear just to feel supportive.  What I mean is, they really don't know what to say.  You could try to have a "family" meeting and just let everyone know how you are feeling.  Tell them that you have a lot to deal with right now and need the space to deal with things the best way you can.  The best way that they can help is to be there with the ear to listen when you are teetering.  It is so hard not to think bad thoughts.  The word CANCER is very big and powerful but over the course of your journey you can dwindle it down.  Nothing is easy but it is doable.  

You can check your area for a support group where you can discuss your concerns with other bc survivors.  If one isn't available, ask you doctor for a referral to a psychologist or come back to this site to scream, yell or what ever you need to do.  We are here for you.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:15 AM
I hope it helps a little to write it down here and I'd echo Tina's advice, a local support group I'm sure would be helpful and you can always post here for support to help you through this too.  It will get easier, for now just accept there will be bad days and go with it, there will be good days too though so just take one day at a time for now. 
Carepage- survivortricia

KRam
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 7520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, January 18, 2015 6:31 PM
Good afternoon!  My name is Kim, I am now 39 years old, and I was diagnosed in Nov of 2012.  Original diagnosis was just in the right breast I had three tumors the main one the size of a golf ball and two slightly smaller ones.  As I was in the surgeons office waiting to go over options it was then that I found out the results of my CT Scan.  I had tumors in each lung.  So surgery was not an option but I did Taxol for a year and it dramatically reduced all of my tumors.  However, just recently I found out that it has spend to my bones.  So I am now undergoing treatment for that and to keep the other tumors from coming back.  I know that there is no cure for Stage 4 but I know that I can live with this for a long time.  

[style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;"]-Kim  [style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;"]Dx 11/12/12, ER/PR +, HER2 -, Stage 2.  [style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;"]Now metastatic breast cancer (lung and bone) Stage 4  [style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;"]Survivor since day one! 
<message edited by KRam on Sunday, January 18, 2015 6:36 PM>

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:38 PM
Hi Kim and welcome. I know a number of women who have done very well treating breast cancer as a chronic illness, so you're right--you can live with this for a long time. It's great that you had such a good response to the Taxol, and I hope that your current treatment does as well. I wish you the very best, and I'm glad that you introduced yourself here. 
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, January 19, 2015 11:56 AM
Hi Kim,

We've had a few members who have done very well after treatment for mets to bones and I'm told its the easiest type to treat and I just wanted to send you good wishes and hope you have a great response.
Carepage- survivortricia

Strawberrimuffin
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:57 AM
Hi my name is Gwen and I was diagnosed on January 20, 2015. On the outside I am a trooper but on the inside I can't stop crying. I have a lot of support and so much is going through my head that I feel like I am in a fog. I try to make myself accept what is happening to me but when I simply say "I have breast cancer" I break. I guess I now understand how the people I deal with feel when we tell them they are HIV positive. I know I will survive because I have a 7 year old who loves me to the moon and back and GOD knows I love and live for him daily. So he is in every decision I make. I never thought I would be in this predicament not to say I am any different from any one else. Its just harder to imagine when you are on the inside looking out as opposed to being on the outside looking in. I have cried everyday since the day I found out and yet as I write this I cry. Why am I crying? I am determine to beat this so why I am crying? I don't know. I guess I just really need someone to knock me over the head and say you are not alone or I got you because in reality I am not alone. I have support but support is not able to stop these streaming tears. I guess I am scared. Scared of what will happen in the future but determined to live by any means necessary.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:41 PM
Gwen its very early days for you and the early weeks are a blur or emotions and fear, allow yourself to cry, you're still in shock and that is normal and something we all felt.  I can only reassure you that all this really does get easier and you will get through it and there are many long term survivors here who were just as scared as you are now, if we can do it so can you.Pals
Carepage- survivortricia

Strawberrimuffin
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:37 PM
Thank You.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:52 PM
Keep us posted on how you get on and ask any questions you're not sure of, there's lots of people here that have been where you are that can offer help and support.
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:24 PM
Gwen:

I agree with Tricia.  Until the shock wears off, the world is upside down.  Once you meet with your medical team and a game plan is set up, you will feel a little relief.  Allow yourself time to accept what you have been told and to absorb it.  It is a shock and since this is early in you diagnosis, there is so much that is unknown.  

As far as your support system, it is nice to utilize this website to discuss your fears as well as ask your questions of someone who understands what you are going through.  

Please keep us posted and come back.  We are here with hugs.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Strawberrimuffin
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 23, 2015 5:57 PM
Thank you. It helps to know I am not alone. I have not had a decent night of sleep since hearing this news. I have let go of some of the unknown. The surgeon is a familiar face as he performed my gallbladder surgery last summer. That makes a difference. My appointments to meet with the plastic surgeon and oncologist is set for the first week in February and my final appointment is on the 9th. By then everything should be set. I do worry about something so small and unimportant but I can't help it. Having breast regardless of the size defined me as a woman. Women have breast.  Why do I feel that when they take these they are striping away part of my womanhood. I feel like I am loosing what makes a woman. I can't wrap my head around thus and to me it's irrelevant but bothersome.

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > | Showing page 59 of 68, messages 1161 to 1180 of 1351