Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Preparing for Surgery - what should I do?
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 11 to 20 of 72
prettyinpink32

• Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, June 08, 2009 4:02 PM
Thank you ladies so much for your input.  I've gone out and bought just about everything you guys have suggested.  The only thing I'm missing is the shower stool, but I'm working on it.
33 Years old
dx 01/28/08
Triple Negative Cancer, Stage 3b/c
Chemo 2/13/08 - 11/24/08 (left mastectomy on 5/29/08)
12 rounds - Cytoxan/Taxotere/Adriomyacin/Taxol
33 rads
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of god."  Ephesians 2:8
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, June 08, 2009 4:44 PM
Pretty, I may not be clear on the exact surgery as far as whether you are having a unilateral or prophylactic mast immediately followed by the DEIP/SIEA surgery, or just the DIEP.  If you are having the long haul, have your surgeon/s indicated approximately how long your surgery will take?  That is a big factor regarding your length of stay in hospital, and what you might expect.  Myself, I had the "whole nine yards" at once, bilateral mast w/immediate DIEP/SIEA surgery, and was on the table for almost eleven hours.  Fortunately, I had most of the above suggestions already dealt with, but my poor hubby refused to have anyone take care of him, so I set up a "Komen/friends" hotline, without his prior knowledge, to have certain friends and family call him at different times of the day to boost and check on him.  Turned out that helped a lot, he just was too stubborn to admit it!! Keep in touch, and remember to print some things with the suggestions!!

Hugs,
Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Poohcarter

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:36 PM
I have not had my mastectomy yet but one thing I plan on doing, is the same thing I did when I had my hysterectomy. That is, I bought a glass bowl from the dollar store and decorated it. I filled the bowl with a variety of different candies. Then every time someone came in I would offer them a handful. I had frequent visitors and the nurses where so willing to help me. Then when I left, I gave the bowl and remaining candy to the nurse station. When I have visited other people in that hospital the bowl is still there and they take turns filling it. It was a little expense for me but it was a huge hit and I never had to call for a nurse. When my surgery gets closer I plan on doing the same thing because it was fun to make and I met so many people.
da808

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 1555
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:33 AM
I recently had a RB mastectomy, 6/12/09, and recently discovered I'll be going back for an auxiliary lymph node dissection on 6/29/09 due to a positive SNB.  I had a morphine pain pump and numbing medication drip, both controlled by buttons I administer.  I made the mistake of only utilizing my morphine pain pump when I couldn't stand the pain, which is wrong.  I could only dose myself every ten minutes, so there was no danger in pressing the button too often.  I should have played my button like a Nintendo game controller and will next time.  I totally agree with the earlier post, it's really important to manage your pain because it takes more medication to bring you back to a tolerable level.  After the first night, I was put on Oxycodone, but overslept the next morning beyond the four hour prescribed time frame for the next dose and woke in place I never want to be, again.  I'll be setting my cell phone alarm to wake me up to ask for meds, since the hospital didn't allow an overnight guest.  I was wrapped in gauze and an ace bandage, (being a plus size woman, it turned into a constricting rubber band), no ladies, I was not given a compression bra.  I'm prepared this time with a prescribed ABC post surgery compression bra.   I found the two drains to be the most uncomfortable. 
sassee

• Total Posts : 376
  • Reward points : 2340
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:18 PM
 I can't believe you hospital didnt allow for overnight guests. I've never heard of such a thing. My family would not leave me alone, secretly I needed them. I was only able to get out of my bed on my own the last two days. The last night I finally talked hubby into going home at midnight.  Hospitals around here are understaffed and without my family I would have been lost...I remember the food people coming in and putting my tray down but out of reach, or the phone was too far for me to answer, or washing me and changing my sheets (hubby even did that). I've never heard of such a thing
40 years old, mother of four teenagers (yikes)
 Awesome hubby of 19 years.
Dx 2/09 Double Masc with trams flap 3/04.
Estrogen and Pr+ Her -, Grade 2 Stage2
1/10 nodes micro positive
Chemo 4 rounds of TC
August 26 ooph and nipple reconstruction
Femara/Zometa
Dec 18 Gallbladder removal

Deb Allen

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, July 08, 2009 6:19 PM
BIG BUMP
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing

sazbro

• Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 1140
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:40 PM
Thank you ladies for the great input for preparing for surgery.  I started to purchase the items that were recommended.  
<message edited by sazbro on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:42 PM>
Deb Allen

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, August 24, 2009 9:31 PM
'nother "bump"
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,

everydaysagift

• Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 1625
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:56 PM
Hi, another bump,

My bilat mast. is December 18.....all input was most helpful & offered insight I wouldn't have otherwise been privy to (ie:compression bra), please add any new thoughts that come to mind......next stop..post surg. recommendations.......many thanks to all who posted........wishing you well, have a happy...Diane
09/08 Excis biop R breast - Dx LCIS
12/08 Hyster & Oopherectomy (endometrial hyperplasia)
06/09 Clear bilat. mammo & ultrasound
08/09 Bilat. breast MRI - "suspicious" area on L
10/09 L breast lumpectomy - Dx hi grade DCIS  
DVT hist R/O hormone therapy
Bilat. mast. w/expanders on Dec 18, 2009 
 Reconstruct date & type 2B determined
mgioffre

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:10 PM
My name is Maggi, i am 55 and i live in Pgh.  i had a bilateral mastectomy on 9-22-08.  The only thing I can tell you about being hospitalized is to have family and friends with you as much as possible to advocate for you.  I had bad reactions to the pain meds, breaking out in a rash and becoming very agitated.  If it was not for my husband pushing for someone to help me, I swear they would have just let me suffer, Advocacy is key.  If the call bell is not answered in time, yell or scream.  They will come pretty quick then.  I guess i thought I would be treated differently because of my diagnosis, but was not.  Never assume anything.   Give your surgeon and staff specific instructions about what you want and need prior to surgery.   Hope this helps.  Maggi
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 11 to 20 of 72

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message